Fordmods Logo

Car Overheating - fans question 

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Car Overheating - fans question
Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Hi all

I have recently purchased an EL Fairmont Ghia, turns out its a bucket of crap and have had nothing but problems with it. Im slowly working through all the issues but on a trip this weekend, the car was over heating, now upon some investigationg i found that the thermo fans were only functioning at their lowest speed. If i unplugged the temp sender the car though it was hot and would turn the fans on full speed and cool the car down significantly (i think from memory they are a 3 speed fan setup).

Now i had to get home from said trip and it was getting rather hot again now its pinging in every gear with even slight throttle (when hot, im hoping this will rectify itself once it cools down and i check the timing, hence to say now im home i have parked it up to have a look at later, but if anyone could shed some light on this fan issue it would be greatly apprciated as i really am getting sick of working on this car :(

Kind Regards

Jamin

Post subject: Re: Car Overheating - fans question
Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

test the temp sensor.

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

i was presuming that was working as it is giving me a temp reading and it is going up when fan not on and down when fans are at high speed??

Thanks

Jamin

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:41 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

is it the same temp sender that tells the fans when to change speeds?

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Had similar dramas with my EL, and after a bit of stuffing around I ended up putting new relays for the thermofans and so far so good.

Put the A/c on and both fans should be on max (2 speed) even when the car is cold. If they arnt both coming on in this scenario then its not the temp sender.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

thanks for that ... the relays are obviously functioning as when i unplug the temp sender they come on full so they are allowing power to be sent through. Am I correct in assuming this or do they get bypassed somehow when the temp sender is unplugged or reading hot ?

Jamin

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Wagon

ACT, Australia

If it has an aftermarket water pump, that would be a suspect for the overheating. I've had similar problems after fitting a non genuine water pump.

The fans not going on full speed until the temp guage is near the top appears to be normal for these cars.

96 EF Wagon, PRINS VSI LPG, Wade 1636, 4480's, Redback zorst, Metalcat, 3 angle valve job, .5mm overbore, hypertec pistons, shaved head (because the head was banana shaped when I brought it), Tickford 16" alloys, KYB shocks, 30mm sway bar, 1 1/2 degrees negative camber, tow bar, roof racks.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:12 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

EF Wagon wrote:
If it has an aftermarket water pump, that would be a suspect for the overheating. I've had similar problems after fitting a non genuine water pump.

The fans not going on full speed until the temp guage is near the top appears to be normal for these cars.

No its an original pump and i disagree about the fan issue, i have 2 EL's currently and one previously and i have never had the needle get any where near the top, in fact i have hardly ever had them into the AL of NORMAL on the gauge and they stay put regardless of what happens, and the should be on full when the air con is onas previously mentioned. If yours is getting that hot there is something wrong and you could do head damage.

Jamin

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Well when I got my new radiator it never went over the first line. But eventually the thermostat s**t itsself so I got a new one and now when it warms up it gets to the A then drops and dosnt rise again that day unless the car completly cools down.
But for some reason it runs better that way. It must be at its optimum running temperature.
Sits half on the O.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:19 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

If you purchased the car from anybody on Perth e Series then there is your problem cobber 8-)
You seem to have all the answers to the help people try to give you so you shouldnt have any probs ay :D

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

seems to me you have yourself a lemon, best off slapping some bandaids on and getting rid of it presumably as someone has done to you.

mayhaps not the 'right' thing to do, but in my books two wrongs DO make a right for yourself.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

87SIlude wrote:
Well when I got my new radiator it never went over the first line. But eventually the thermostat s**t itsself so I got a new one and now when it warms up it gets to the A then drops and dosnt rise again that day unless the car completly cools down.
But for some reason it runs better that way. It must be at its optimum running temperature.
Sits half on the O.

From reading your avatar you have an EB yes? the temp guages go the opposite way in terms of the word normal to an EF/EL. Where yours is sitting is typical for an EB/ED.

Thanks Heaps
Jamin

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

milo 302 wrote:
If you purchased the car from anybody on Perth e Series then there is your problem cobber 8-) seem to have all the answers to the help people try to give you so you shouldnt have any probs ay :D

I did buy it off a forum member but not PES. Have you had bad experiences there ?

I'm not at all unappreciative of the help people are giving in fact the opposite, i very much appreciate it, just playing devils advocate and asking if what i presume is right is actually right. I may be wrong in which case some of these answers could well help.

Thankyou all for your input, if any one else has any ideas i would love to hear them, so far im gonna try the relays and see, can anyone tell me what kind of relays should be in that box that controls the thermos, there maybe and incorrect one in there.

regards, Jamin

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
seems to me you have yourself a lemon, best off slapping some bandaids on and getting rid of it presumably as someone has done to you.

mayhaps not the 'right' thing to do, but in my books two wrongs DO make a right for yourself.

I have thought about it trust me, but i would never sell ot until its running right. I refuse to sell someone a car with issues, unless i have told them about them and they still want the car

Jamin

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

ive always had heating problems, but its never gotten into the redline on the gauge (ef)

anyway it got a new radiator, water pump, thermostat and still heated in traffic on hot days. Now when i converted the car to manual with no ecu tweaks the thermo's were on full speed when the car was on regardless of the water temp..it was beautiful until i hit traffic again, so i went a 82 degree thermostat and its the perfect temperature always now, doesn't rise in traffic in 37 degree ambient heat..

just gotta figure out why the fans don't come on full speed when i have the j3 chip in (only when a/c is on, otherwise they never go on full) a full set of relays is about 90 bucks from ford so might do that and see how i go.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next