Fordmods Logo

car running way to rich!!! 

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2005 BAII XR8

QLD, Australia

Check the temp sender for the EEC.....if it reads cold all the time it will be running very rich. Also check the map sensor as it can cause havock with poor idle and fuel usage.

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

how do u know that the car is actually running rich, have u check faults or put it on a gas analizer? check fault codes
Lots of things can cause a car to use more fule as most people have metioned above, bosch say that 02 sensors should be replaced at 100k as they start to get really slow and loose there band width too. lot of people dont change them.
air leak in the intake system will also make it use more fule.
a big thing that should be done i say every 60k is a carbon clean of the intake valves and clean out injectors.

few things to think about

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5 Star Boxcar

NSW, Australia

maybe a faulty thermostat thats causing it to run rich?

Kezz's 5sp Box Car ---> RPD enhanced with a bunch of other stuff

Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: ed fairmont ghia, ed gli

VIC, Australia

thanks guys, but i dont think it would be the thermostat because the car still runs at the same temp as before.

an i figure its running to rich because of the rther high l/100k readings, the smoke/liquid/fumes pooring out the exhaust... i leave a black trail on the ground where ever i go now.

and how do i check all the sensors an s**t without buying new ones?

I LOVE MY DOG

Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

get a multimeter and check the temp senders, make sure theyre within factory specs (i have no idea what the specs are).
i'd be checking your thermostat too, it might be stuck open.
check for vacuum leaks, they cause poor idle and can make it stall.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:51 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2005 BAII XR8

QLD, Australia

A couple of times I've noticed comments on this forum about vacumm leaks causing increased fuel usage or poor idle/stalling.

I can't for the life of me work out how you can get these symptoms in an EFI engine. I can yank hoses off my engine and it just ides faster the more hoses I pull off. The MAP sensor detects the decease in manifold vacuum and the ECU compensates to the increased air by increasing the signal to injector to inject more fuel. My car runs perfect and did so even when half the vacuum lines were split and falling off.

Only problem I had was an 1800RPM idle. Fuel economy was just the same before and after the hoses were all fixed. 550KM to the tank in EA MPI 3.9L.

I can see how a carb engine would have this problem, but not an EFI car. Anyone like to elaborate on it and show me how this occurs?

Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:40 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I am not sure if your setup is the same as an EA multipoint but I had similar problems when the vacuum hose to the MAP sensor split and also again when I had a MAP sensor die on my old EA Spac - Symtoms were black smoke at idle and stalling etc. Worth a check if the setup is similar.

Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:05 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

i had a problem in my old cfi EA... i lost brake booster.. and the car wouldn't idle.. would have to really get up it to stop it from stalling.. this happened on my way home from work at 2am.. stopped at a servo on the way home.. popped the bonnet.. and my cat was glowing bright red... i thought i had a blocked cat.. the 10 minute drive home from there took me 45 minutes.. grr

turns out it was a vacuum leak... where the brake booster connected to the intake manifold... a tree connector had broken.. so 50 bucks to buy the new one.. fitted it up.. and away she went again... for a quick fix.. i put a coke bottle lid over the hole in the manifold... stopped the leak so i could drive it the short distance to a mates place so i could re tap the hole to get the gunk out... altho i still had no brake booster...

i feel my MPI EA is now running rich also... but i dunno.. it just stinks...

Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks guys, i just checked the gaskets on the throtal body an the top one (for the isc) was broken so i swaped that and i i went for a drive to see how it was goin an didn change anything altho when i was pulling up home again my cat was making a f**k up ratleing noise so ill try that next

I LOVE MY DOG

Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Futura Wagon

QLD, Australia

Still think it is the O2 sensor. They only last 100,000k max. I can almost guarantee that the other one is cactus too. What you also need to do is to reset the ECU when you change the O2 sensor. The O2 sensor adjusts the fuel maps as you drive always trying to get to stiometric. The computer adds these values to the initial maps. It would take a couple of hundred k's driving to get the maps back to a useable range when you swap over the O2 sensor. So the other one may be OK but the maps are just too far out for the computer to compensate.

Solution...New O2 sensor, reset ECU, bask in the glory of an efficient engine, don't get high from petrol fumes any more!

cheers
Scott

If it doesn't fit, jam it. If that doesn't work use a hammer. - Engineers Motto

Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yea im goin to buy a new one this week, i tried to put my other extractors/cat on my car but i couldnt undo one of the nuts so i will need to wait till tomoro or so an get the rattle gun onto it at work :) hoping that it will be running right at the end of the week

the average l/100ks went up to 23.6 this afternoon an now its come down a bit, down to 22.1 from memory, still bloody high, iv done 140k's an already down to bit under 3/4, that should be pushing 200 now.

I LOVE MY DOG

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:01 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

adrian` wrote:
yea im goin to buy a new one this week, i tried to put my other extractors/cat on my car but i couldnt undo one of the nuts so i will need to wait till tomoro or so an get the rattle gun onto it at work :) hoping that it will be running right at the end of the week

the average l/100ks went up to 23.6 this afternoon an now its come down a bit, down to 22.1 from memory, still bloody high, iv done 140k's an already down to bit under 3/4, that should be pushing 200 now.

hey man. im having the same problem besides the stalling part. mine just has rough idle at neutral and Park. if u find out ur problem ill be very thankful and would want to know what u did to get it done.

btw another thing u might want to check is the return fuel hose or the fuel regulator. thats what i was told to check but i have no bloody time. if u could check and see if it fixes ur problem that would be great

cheers

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yea no worries mate id be glad to help you out, just as soon as i find out whats goin on, at the moment im goin on the ideas of MacGyver and voids, i think its goin to be my cat (old and it was making some f**k up rattlin noises yesterday) and the oxygen sensor (old an well it would be the orignal... very black) should find out if its them sometime today of tomoro.

this problem isnt so bad but, im replacing a few things on my car, shell be a new car soon :D

I LOVE MY DOG

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:52 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EBII S

VIC, Australia

spark plugs, one of my problems when mine was running rich

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yea but i went and bought all new plugs, leads, dizzy cap an a new rotor so it shouldnt be that, well i should hope not

I LOVE MY DOG

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next