Fordmods Logo

car still running hot. 

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: car still running hot.
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

hi guys, my car is going over half way on the temp gauge in traffic, as far as up to "0". only happens in traffic, no issues on freeway or short trips. i cant work it out, my mechanic sat the car in his workshop and idleing for 30 minutes with a thermometer in the header tank and it barely went above 85c, now if it was a blockage, wouldnt it be doing it all the time? my mechanic said it may be the timing is out becuase im running a 977b cam and not tuned yet, but i spoke to jason at t.i performance and he said it wasnt anything to do with the tune, as stated in my last thread, im running a ef xr6 head & ecu (5tfa) its a 95 ef 6 cylinder. head gasket, water pump and 81c all done a week b4 xmas last year, just after advice before i send the car to mechanics agian and loose more cash.

havnt flushed the system as advised from dandy radiators it wasnt blocked

previous thread is here : post1310347.html#p1310347

thanks in advance

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Post subject: Re: car still running hot.
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Low RPM fan relay working? Bet ya it isnt

Mine would travel up to round yours is then the high speed relay kick in and drop it. Easy way to see if fans doing there job, when car running hot, put the air con on and fan on boost/full and the high speed fan should kick in and cool it down.

Relay is near the air box, covered. $5-$10 part from repco

I have spares here you could have if you in sydney

the fans do come on, not sure if they are working properly though, last time i ran aircon on boost, the coolant overflowed as i said in previous thread

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Two fans, one blows in front of the air con, other on drivers side cooling down basically 3/4 the block.

If that one is not working, hence causing major issues. Air con fan might be the only one you are hearing. Have you confirmed that both switch on?

Also testing in a workshop and car sits at 85degrees is not really the same as sitting in 32degree heat outside, road temp round 50-60 degrees and your car sucking in that heat and yet not able to be cooled cos either one fan is not working, or the Low RPM relay not working.

I reckon a fan not working, or low rpm relay not working.

Easy to check, idle engine, fan should come on within 5 mins.

the fans did come on when it was sitting in the workshop, both, not sure how long it took, but i saw them both working

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: DL LTD

QLD, Australia

Out of interest has it had any head work done as far as port/polish/shaved?...if too much meat has been taken away that can have a huge impact on cooling especially at idle

Lets just pretend I give a s**t and leave it at that.....

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Landau510 wrote:
Out of interest has it had any head work done as far as port/polish/shaved?...if too much meat has been taken away that can have a huge impact on cooling especially at idle

only been reco'd before it was put on my car as far i know, and it dosnt run hot at idle

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

That seems to be the norm for my EL. In traffic it will heat up mid way up to 3/4 but never hit the red area. It happens worse on warm days (20+ degrees) and during stop start traffic, the temperature can rise pretty quickly. Once moving again it will cool down pretty quickly to the "AL" part of "NORMAL".

Remember when you are in stop start traffic, your engine will work harder since it is under load more producing more heat in the engine bay. Combined with no natural air flow through the front the thermos can only blow warm air into the engine bay which may be 10-15degrees warmer than ambient temp. Not to mention since you are behind other vehicles, they produce excessive heat which is also being blown in. Over all you will have more warm air going in than you would when moving...hence the car being cooler on the move.

Also, do you have extractors? If you do, do you have heat wrap or some sort of heat reducing treatment (such as ceramic coating) to reduce engine bay temp? Extractors will heat the engine bay up real quick if no heat shield is present (or equivalent).

Have a look at your radiator, make sure you don't have a dead cat or possum stuck in there (or less severely, leaves/insects/etc) blocking max air flow into engine bay via thermos.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
That seems to be the norm for my EL. In traffic it will heat up mid way up to 3/4 but never hit the red area. It happens worse on warm days (20+ degrees) and during stop start traffic, the temperature can rise pretty quickly. Once moving again it will cool down pretty quickly to the "AL" part of "NORMAL".

Remember when you are in stop start traffic, your engine will work harder since it is under load more producing more heat in the engine bay. Combined with no natural air flow through the front the thermos can only blow warm air into the engine bay which may be 10-15degrees warmer than ambient temp. Not to mention since you are behind other vehicles, they produce excessive heat which is also being blown in. Over all you will have more warm air going in than you would when moving...hence the car being cooler on the move.

Also, do you have extractors? If you do, do you have heat wrap or some sort of heat reducing treatment (such as ceramic coating) to reduce engine bay temp? Extractors will heat the engine bay up real quick if no heat shield is present (or equivalent).

Have a look at your radiator, make sure you don't have a dead cat or possum stuck in there (or less severely, leaves/insects/etc) blocking max air flow into engine bay via thermos.

these are all good points. ok when mine heats up, and dosnt come down anytime soon.

i do have extractors, with no heat shield or anything but i never had an issue like this when my head gasket was leaking, so i cant see they should be an issue now.

ive checked the radiator and even hit it with a pressure washer to no avail.

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
If they both work, then thats good.

Still might be the low speed rom fan relay. IS a up to $10 part, much cheaper option then a mechanic and easy to change

which relay is it? the one behind the headlight im guessing you meant, but what one?

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Just a quick note --- The ED I am driving at the moment (well - I would be if I wasn't walking everywhere --- Sigh) has two little radiators in FRONT of AIR CON which have been plumbed up to the cooling system via the output of the standard ED radiator. Seems to work awesome. The water comes out the ED radiator and then runs through these two 150x300mm (about half inch thick) radiators that before returning to the normal cooling system.

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1991 Ford Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

hey fiend couldn't post a photo could ya? you've stirred my brain cells

Build Thread - More of a mismatch of parts :P the-garage-f53/seftons-ea-t106586.html

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Chargd wrote:
uniacidz wrote:
If they both work, then thats good.

Still might be the low speed rom fan relay. IS a up to $10 part, much cheaper option then a mechanic and easy to change

which relay is it? the one behind the headlight im guessing you meant, but what one?

Knew you were going to ask. I replaced all of mine for good measure.

Maybe someone can inform as to what relay it is as i don't have that series car anymore

in that case, i might do the same, so its the 4 in between the airbox and headlight?

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef wagon

ACT, Australia

Chargd wrote:
phongus wrote:

these are all good points. ok when mine heats up, and dosnt come down anytime soon.

i do have extractors, with no heat shield or anything but i never had an issue like this when my head gasket was leaking, so i cant see they should be an issue now.

ive checked the radiator and even hit it with a pressure washer to no avail.

i had the same problem after a head gasket change on my mothers car tuned out the mechanic didnt make sure all the cutouts in the head gasket were out was blocking off two galleries

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 Ford Eb Series 2

Hmm.. i got the same issue with my EL Fairmont. I've got pacemakers with a heatshield and it still sits on ''NO'' on Normal..And runs fans constantly..i can pop the bonnet and feel the heat off it..Id say the relay for fan..I might look into that for my own car..i could cook my dinner w/ the heat lol

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:55 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

FordEb'L'unatic wrote:
Hmm.. i got the same issue with my EL Fairmont. I've got pacemakers with a heatshield and it still sits on ''NO'' on Normal..And runs fans constantly..i can pop the bonnet and feel the heat off it..Id say the relay for fan..I might look into that for my own car..i could cook my dinner w/ the heat lol

If both fans are running I would be looking at the thermostat first.....being stuck closed and not opening.

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 Ford Eb Series 2

replaced the thermostat cuz the heater tap broke when i first bought the car lol. pretty sure its the correct thermostat, i just know my car likes to run thermos 24/7 :\ lol

The car does cool down once the fans come on..but then itll just heat up again a little later then fans on again..i know its normal for it to do that..just never had a car run this hot constantly..The eb & ba never ran this hot lol

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next