car sumtimes starts??? 

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: car sumtimes starts???
Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ford falcon ef futura

SA, Australia

hey guys i have a 1994 ef futura and recently its been working fine but sometimes wen i turn off the engine and go back to it bout 20 mins later it wont turn at all. its agot new : starter motor,coil pack,leads,plugs! i had a guy c*m out nd put a voltage meter on my starter motor with the ignition on and he sed there was no power at all. so i took it to the auto electrician and teh plugged some computer device thats comes up with the error codes and yeah nothing came up he was stumped!! he said it could be the smart lock? or even the ecu not sending a signal form the igniton to the starter motor???

any ideas would be appreciatted at the fullest!!!!!! :(

Post subject: Re: car sumtimes starts???
Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Try thumping the dash just above your left knee as you turn the key to start. It's a common problem with the BCM. Dry solder joints.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1995 Ford Falcon Gli EF Sedan

QLD, Australia

I have the same problem with my 95 Falcon gli EF sedan,
Thumping the dash whilst turning the key works in my instance, been doing it for about a year now.

Wondering what one can do you fix this?
I wouldn't even know where to start?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers,
Darg.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

You have to replace the module. Im pretty sure its the smartlock module that gets dry solder joints. Its an orange box basically just behind where you hitting it. Dont remember I think theres a couple of screws underneath the dash and itll be free to come out the bottom, unplug and plug a new one in. Hopefully someone else can confirm though if a new smartlock module will cause any dramas.

Eventually the joints will completely disintegrate, so either replace the module, or if you're tech savvy, re solder it all. I found with my ED that it was worse when the car was parked in the sun.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I don't think it is the smartlock module, I think it is the Body Control Module (BCM) that is the problem. If you trace the wiring diagram, the wire to the starter solenoid goes through the BCM.I think that when it wont start, if you put a test light onto the starter solenoid, you will find that there is no power. As 98_eb_fairmont said, the best remedy is to replace the BCM. I think this can be done w/out taking the dashboard out. Simpler still is to simply thump it into life 8-)

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

creeture3 wrote:
I don't think it is the smartlock module, I think it is the Body Control Module (BCM) that is the problem. If you trace the wiring diagram, the wire to the starter solenoid goes through the BCM.I think that when it wont start, if you put a test light onto the starter solenoid, you will find that there is no power. As 98_eb_fairmont said, the best remedy is to replace the BCM. I think this can be done w/out taking the dashboard out. Simpler still is to simply thump it into life 8-)

So smartlock is the orange box and the bem is the blue box right? Because when I had the dash out of the ED I had everything laying on the floor and hanging by wires and to start and move it around I just flicked the orange box with my finger.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

BCMs come in a few colours, depending on the "series". From memory, top of the line ones, the ones in the Fairmonts/lanes etc. that control the radio antenna and the interior lights, auto aircon and other functions are green (high series) and the GLi ones are black (low series). I'm pretty sure that you need to replace it with the same colour. Yes, I think the Smartlock is orange, but I'm not entirely sure.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR6, 2003 BA XR8

VIC, Australia

if its the bcm, and u cant be stuffed changing modules, just run a new earth wire to the starter relay, this is what we done with mine, didn't have time to change the bcm. just remember if you do this cut the earth wire to the relay off completley before you put the new one on because the bcm doesn't like gettin an earth feedback through that wire or something, this is what my mate told me, he is an auto elec so he must know lol.

cheers,
Tomo

98%of city drivers will say ''holly s**t'' befor going into a ditch in a snowstorm and 98%of country drivers will say ''hold my beer and watch this''

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

hey guys thanx for the suggestions ill deff be looking into these problems...can i also let u guys know that yesterday wen my car wudnt start a guy from profix used the wrench i have in my car to bridge the voltgae underneath my car near the starter motor does this narrow it down a little?

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

you can strip back two wire going to the BCM and solder them together to fix the BCM problem. done it hundreds of times

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:41 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED falcon gli - XR6 replica

ACT, Australia

it'll be dry solder joints in the back of the BEM (which also deals with smartlock in EB11 and ED that im aware of). as stated before located above the handbrake lever. colours depends on series ei. futura, gli, fairmont, wagon. my mate is an auto electrician and has re-soldered the joints on these half a million times.

turn the key to crank.... if nothing continue to hold key at cranking position and slap the trim above the handbrake, if it cranks over then hey presto theres your problem. VERY common problem

Ford ED Falcon Gli, T5 conv, Twinlight lights, exedy sports tuff clutch, modified EA front grill, ED XR6 complete interior, 19" speedy graphites, monroe gt shocks, kingspring superlows, CAI, ported tickford head, 3:45 LSD.
Soon: paccies, custom centre console

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

eerrrmmm but my car is a ef and its a normal handbrake though? is the BEM or BCM under my dash still?

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:51 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED falcon gli - XR6 replica

ACT, Australia

yeh sorry same place but handbrake moved, just hit above your left knee as others mentioned. cheers

Ford ED Falcon Gli, T5 conv, Twinlight lights, exedy sports tuff clutch, modified EA front grill, ED XR6 complete interior, 19" speedy graphites, monroe gt shocks, kingspring superlows, CAI, ported tickford head, 3:45 LSD.
Soon: paccies, custom centre console

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

cheers champ and theres me stressing this morning about it all...will do it 2moro nd check it all out!!!

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Quote:
hey guys thanx for the suggestions ill deff be looking into these problems...can i also let u guys know that yesterday wen my car wudnt start a guy from profix used the wrench i have in my car to bridge the voltgae underneath my car near the starter motor does this narrow it down a little?

I would say DEFINITELY the BCM. When it plays up you get no power to the starter solenoid.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next