Fordmods Logo

Car Turned Off! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Car Turned Off!
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:43 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hey all,

About 2 months ago, i was going around a left hand turn, into a side street at a medium pace, the car turned off! Lost all power Steering, brakes lost hydraulic pressure.

Today coming through a set a lights was going pretty quick road turned to the right, its a quickish corner, car turned off when i was going at least 40km/h! The car turned off when i was braking, and in the process of turning.

The car is an EL falcon I6!

To all who have experienced it, its bloody dangerous!

I noticed as well when i tried turning car back on it took more cranks than usual to get the engine going.

Please help.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

When you say car turned off, just the engine cut out or all the power died aswell?

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Fuel pump or fuel pump relay?? How many kms on the donk?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:56 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

engine died.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:58 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

210000 on the original fuel pump. I can hear the pump whine a tad these days it use to be silent!

How would i be able to test to see if its the fuel pump?

thanks

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: VT Calais 5L

QLD, Australia

i used to get that in mums EL wagon after i blew a head in it, very freaky isn't it, im not quite sure what fixed it but it used to happen all the time then one day just never happend again...so im not sure what causes it :? :?:

Cars: EB Fairmont 5spd 3.9L**sold**
VT Calais 98' 195i V8 - lux n power in 1

Bikes: 05 Honda CR250R

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL - Fairmont

VIC, Australia

happend a couple of times in my fairmont, think its the fuel filter. coz it aint spark or airflow checked all them thouroghly

'97 EL Fairmont - 2.5" catback system, K&N Panel Filter, Redback Xtractors, NGK-R's, Eagle One 9mm Leads.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EBII T5

VIC, Australia

well ive just replace my dizzy and ignition coil, and a week prior to the car completely dying on me, it cut out in mid traffic, and took a bit to get it started again....

then it totally died on me, had to get a tow and replaced the coil etc... could be one of these on their way out? maybe even the dizzy cap. not sure about the later E-Series, but the EA-ED's had a pretty s**t coil

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

dizzy, coil, leads, plugs, fuel filter were replace less than 5000kms ago. I asked this same question on another forum, they advise dirty, loose battery terminals??

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

are the battery terminals a fusable link?

Lately i have been hearing a whine from the fuel pump im guessing? Usually its quiet, could the problem lie in the fuel pump?

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I dont know if this will help at all but I had a similar problem several years ago with an EA Falcon and eventually traced my fault to a loose/dirty engine to body earth.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

In these cases do you have fairly low fuel in the tank?
Ive had this happen once when i didnt have much fuel n i swung around hard to the right to do U turn n off it went. Only once tho; like over a yr ago now..

Mine was fuel i presume as its never done it again and the filter and everything else has been replaced!

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

it was just a tad above the red, fuel light would have turned on a few kms later.

But thats stupid if it was that reason!

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

The base idle may have fallen too low meaning it's being driven by the ISC. When the ISC becomes dirty, it's also sluggish. It's easy enough to eliminate that from the equasion.

Your description to 'more cranks than usual' does also suggest fuel delivery and could be the early signs of fuel pump failure. Check the idle first.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:33 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Same thing happened to me two days ago I was sitting on about 85-90km just humming along nicely in my EA Fairmont when suddenly it felt like it dropped power so I turned off the stereo to hear what was going on, sounded like engine was cutting out so I pumped the gas but it only spluttered then to my horror I heard the engine cut out so immediatly I hit the hazards & coasted off the road. I don't know how the f**k who was riding my a*** managed to avoid me since my speed dropped so rapidly so I guess he did alright.
So here I am bout 2 feet off the road in a dodgy spot on the open road trying to restart. The ignition was firing like normal & even started for about 2 seconds then shuddered & cut out. This carried on for about 1/2 an hour where the engine would start then immediatly cut out. Then after 30mins it would still wind over but not even try to start or idle just rrrrr - rrrrr - rrrrr - nothing. Which makes me think its fuel related, but to be honest i've really got no idea.
I had just put in $20 gas about 15mins before this happenned.
In the end I had to get a tow truck to get me home.
The wheels have been parked up for last couple of days coz I can't get a mobile machanic over they're all booked out for next week & I don't have a clue where to start.
Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated as i'm already starting to get withdrawal symptoms from not driving my beloved EA.

Model = 4.0L EA FAIRMONT 1990 (stock standard)

P.S. The only car that stopped to help was another Falcon similar model or maybe an EB (dark blue).
So if you read this post I just wanna say THANKS MATE!!! You even put yourself at risk by pulling over at such a dodgy place to offer assistance even though there was'nt much that could be done. I still appreciated the offer.
I'll do the same now if I see an E-Series or earlier Falcon stranded somewhere so CHEERS MAN!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next