Fordmods Logo

car vibrates when engien is on? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: car vibrates when engien is on?
Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ford falcon ef futura

SA, Australia

hey guys as the title states my car is vibrating while the engine is on.
its an eb fairmont ghia but jst picked it up today because ive had an au conversion, the mechanic said it is the engine mounts but i jst want another opinion, could it mayb be the clearance of the sump and k frame?

regards anthony

Post subject: Re: car vibrates when engien is on?
Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

have u checked to see what mod he did to the sump or the k frame, should be enough clearence for the engine to move about, also if the mounts are rooted that could also cause the vibration as well,

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

Hi anthony, I have a XH ute and it also had a vibration. I took it to the local Ford dealer who cleaned the stepper motor on the fuel injection, cleaned out the inlet tube from the air box and it took about 25% of the vibraion away straight away. Also there is a minor exhaust leak that I was told can cause a rough idle which gives a vibration as well as the rubber bushes on the gear linkages are worn. I need to replace them and they reckon my vibration should be solved. Give them a look first then check the engine monts. They are easy to see if they are broken, just put it into gear, rev the motor up to abut 1000 revs and see if the motor moves. Then put it into reverse and do the same. If the motor doesn't move as much then I would be looking at new mounts. Also check the rear mount for wear or breakage. They do have a tendancy to break especially due to age or oil contamination.

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon EL Option 20

QLD, Australia

If the mounts have perished, or started to perish and you have the AU conversion it's very much likely that the clearance is not there that is needed for the AU sump. So if i were you i'd be getting the mounts checked out; to check them yourself jack the car up, get a long pry bar and jam it near the mount and wiggle it if there is a lot of movement they're more than likely stuffed. When you wiggle it if the sump hits the frame it's defs stuffed. Or just a visual check on them aswell; cracking or sagging are the two main things to look out for.

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef futura

SA, Australia

i had this problem and it wa the engine mounts mate

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]