Fordmods Logo

cars losing water fast, what to check? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: cars losing water fast, what to check?
Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

in the past week my car has been losing a wole header tank full of water or more every time i drive it 20 minutes, and bak home again another 20 minutes, it doesnt seem to run hot, replaced the radiator cap just over a year ago and its all rattley again like the old one wen you shake it, doesnt seem to be leakin from the header tank or the visible hoses, im about to go check the heater hoses,and it had a brand new head and gasget put on a year ago, is there anything else i should be checking that ive missed? the oil isnt milky either

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Post subject: Re: cars losing water fast, what to check?
Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

Is the car using water or leaking water?

If its leaking, there is obviously a hole somewhere and shouldnt be too hard to track down. If it is using, that complicates things a little further. Head Gasket comes to mind (Even though you said its new) but was it replaced with a steel gasket or the standard rubber one?

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i have no idea what gasget was put on i bought the car a month after it was done from a mate but theres no water in the oil and no leaking on the sides of the head and it starts fine, but, theres no leaks in ANY of the rad/heater hoses or signs of water coming out in the engine bay at all, and the rad cap is almost new, but it does rattle a little when you take it off and shake it which is signs of it being stuffed, but i only drive it 30-40 minutes and the header tank is empty/almost empty and i have to top it up again,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

I was reading in another thread of instances where the headgasket is cracked, yet no latte coloured oil... might be worth checking into. Its interesting that its using water, but not leaking from anywhere (visible that is). Hows the carpet in your passenger footwell?

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dry, my missus would have a skitz if there was water there lol

BF XR6

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

If you have a head gasket leaking water into a cylinder (rather than into the oil), the oil will be fine and the water will disappear as steam out the exhaust - nothing on the ground. It might idle rough as well. Best way to know for sure is to pull the spark plugs. Five will look normal - insulators light tan to brown/grey - and one will be completely clean white, as it's getting continuously steam-cleaned. Hope it's not this, though.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

well the thing thats really annoyed me now is i bought an ebay exhaust and put it on today and as i put it on i looked up into my cat and it had lots of condensation inside it :( i hope its not the case but its really not looking good for me at the moment, everytime i fix 1 thing 2 things go wrong and the list is getting bigger lol

BF XR6

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:06 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

check your radiator end tanks. bit of a sneaky spot they can leak from. The original 2 piece end tanks were renowned for splitting over time.

A pressure test will tell you where the leak is though, but if your confident its not the head, check your end tanks and also the heater hoses and the return line round the back of the block. A bit of an unusual one to check if all else fails is the feed and retuen fitting themselves on the heater lines to the steel tube round the back of the block.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

this morning i checked all the heater hoses after going for a 30 minute drive and it didnt seem to have any leak around any hoses or anything that has coolant in it and it didnt lose much if any water but thats the thing, it probably will tomorro but then it wont another day, so ill go with a new rad cap and see how the story goes after that

BF XR6

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]