Fordmods Logo

cat dilema ! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: cat dilema !
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1999 au series 1

NSW, Australia

hi good people ! this is my first post so just take it easy with me ! i am about to do a full exhaust change on my 1999 au 1' 4 ltr ! i as im not a rich man i have to purchase my parts bit by bit until i have everything i need then off i go to my local muffler shop ! i have sourced my brand new pacemaker 4480 extractors brand new for $495.00 at carlton in sydney ! and my 1 muffler mandrel bent sports system for $400! everyone has been raving about these high flow cats ;eg;100cpsi ! so off i went to my local muffler shop in seven hills & asked for a high flow cat ! you beauty ! you would think ! but no ! after investigating this product on line it seems it is illegal for on road use! only for extreme 4wd or racing only !s..t ! now my question is ' should i take the risk and just get the beautifully loud cat installed or bend over & take it off the rta / epa ! ! whats the chances off the cat being detected by the local police man & what sort of a fine would i be looking at ! :roll:

Post subject: Re: cat dilema !
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:12 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

Welcome Newbie

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

unless they know what they are looking at youll be right as long as your not 3/4 side ways up the street with smoke pouring of the wheels youll be right my cat is a 200 CPI which is definatly not legal and it loud above 3500 but can be kept quiet

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

thanks guys ! its good to know someones out there listening ! i was a ! well still am a holden man at heart but after destroying my toyota camry in a t bone situation 6 months ago ! i needed a replacement vehicle ! i was looking for a nice vt crappy dore as you call them ! but no ! they were all tired looking and about 150'00 kms and ten thousand bucks ! then i spotted my au with full body kit' eg;rear wing ! front bar ! side panels ! lovely paint job mags' the lot' & only $6500 ! only problem being its horrible stock exhaust note ! so every night i come on this great site and try and pick up some good tips ! so far you"s have not let me down ! just sitting in my car makes me feel almost converted :lol:

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Falcons are easier to work on than commo's.....service wise that is.....try changing the s/plugs in a commo in 5 mins.......not likely......and Commo IRS...crap......fuel vapour hoses that fall apart and leak fue.....exhaust manifolds that crack, O2 sensors that don't earth properly( replacing them is a sh!t job)...engine mounts that sag, and the donk vibes the whole car.......etc, etc

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EF Falcon

SA, Australia

yeah u should be fine!!! i have a 100cell cat with extractors and a 2.5" system. i used the stock muffler to make things all stealthy but she still goes great! just dont hoon around (tho i doubt you will) and you shall be fine! 8-)

Falcon Build http://www.fordmods.com/post1285079.html#p1285079

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

thanks dude ! my au looks like a v8 super car with no grunt ! there must be a lot of under powered au 4ltrs running around wondering what to do !my car struggles to spin the wheels in the wet ! that damn 4 speed auto ! and stock diff ! mods this year include lsd 3;45;1 ! cms head and cam package ! and one of those cheap auto shift kits ! maybe a transmission cooler thrown in as well !then i should be giving those taxis a run for there money :D

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EF Falcon

SA, Australia

peetys here wrote:
thanks dude ! my au looks like a v8 super car with no grunt ! there must be a lot of under powered au 4ltrs running around wondering what to do !my car struggles to spin the wheels in the wet ! that damn 4 speed auto ! and stock diff ! mods this year include lsd 3;45;1 ! cms head and cam package ! and one of those cheap auto shift kits ! maybe a transmission cooler thrown in as well !then i should be giving those taxis a run for there money :D

ha ha ha good work would love to see a build thread on it! transmission cooler is a MUST!!!! and you can build your own shift kit (there is a doco somewhere on here) if your good with the solder...

Falcon Build http://www.fordmods.com/post1285079.html#p1285079

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:49 am 
Stock as a Rock

Power: 141 rwkw

welcome peetys, good to hear ya almost fully converterd to the bkue oval. would love to see some pics of ya AU.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:50 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

thanks guys ! at the moment i am about to hit the au with some meguiars 2.0 scratch doctor ! to remove the ugly little scratches and swirl marks ! plus give it a go over with the meguiars 2.0 tech wax 2.0! all by hand !s..t ! then one day when i work out how to post a picture ill pop one on screen ! maybe one of you guys could give me and other people yet to post theire pics a brief run down on how to get a photo from your computer to these pages ! im sure its not that hard

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

100 CPSI is definately illegal, most 200's are aswell. Its bullcrap though, wheres the incentive for people to not just cut it out and go straight through if nothing we do is legal anyway. My old mans XP falcon doesnt have a cat converter and its fine. Noone can say his emissions are cleaner than my xr6's.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]