Fordmods Logo

Catalytic converter replacement for 2.5inch exhaust 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

$10k, i thought it was a notice to get an EPA test and $35 to do it, if you fail you must pay to do it again and get it fixed. Had no idea it was so high, my gf's brother just had that problem, 3inch exhaust, failed the first two of them aswell, no $10k fine though

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:26 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NA Fairlane SVO

QLD, Australia

yeah you are right, there is a very slim chance of getting caught. In qld they send you to the pits if they dont like your car (or if you do something hooning related) and that is only if they think your car is defectible. Police cant tell if your cat is bashed out, they dont carry emmission testers. The only people that do is the department of transport and there are 2 mobile units qld wide. And we luckily have the benifit of saying.... ahhh must be old and buggered because of the age of our cars, i will have to replace it...

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Haha, nice..

What you should do is find out where those Dep. of Transport cars are kept, boil up some water, add so much salt the water is barely a liquid..

Let it cool, put it into a squirter bottle (pressurised would rock) and squirt it into their exhausts, make sure you have enough to fill the exhaust as much as possible!

This will rust out their exhaust (by the next morning if you used enough salt) and then THEY will be needing new cat convertors :D

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I have kids so I wouldn't want to be releasing carcinogenic gases if I can avoid it..

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah, no cat is dumb, i wouldnt have removed it :)

Last edited by -GAS-MAN- on Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Yeah I wouldnt have removed it if I could have afforded to replace it. Being a poor uni student results in cutting come corners, If you want to pay for me (or some other ppl in my position) to replace my blocked cat then you are more than welcome to. Either that or convince the government that there are young people out there that actually need the money to make a real life for themselves. I dont need lecturing, I just understand that there are people out there that are in the same position as me and they might want to know the CHEAPEST (not the best) way to solve a problem.

cheers

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

What? Im not knocking you, im a uni student too, if you READ what i wrote im looking at doing the CHEAPEST thing too

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

nah not you man, your right, you and I are in the same boat! i am talking about low el

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Fairlane

QLD, Australia

I'm not knocking anyone. My point is, there is a right way and a wrong way to do anything. If you can’t afford to do something the right way, then don’t do it at all. I've seen too many posts where people come on here winging because they have been done by the coppers/ transit folks for illegal mods. Why go out of your way to do something against the law, no matter what your opinion of what the law is. And by the way, I was in no way giving you a lecture. It’s the people out there doing the wrong thing that give the genuine car enthusiasts the bad name.

END RANT

EL GLI, White
Power windows, Fairmont/Ghia door trims, converted to manual, extractors, zorst, wade cam, stereo, Tickford ECU, Tickford body kit, XR wheel.....

Mods to come: 3:45 LSD sitting in shed!!

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Last I checked I am a genuine car enthusiast (that triggered this reply). I love my car and almost any ford I see, I watch v8 super cars and attend cruises almost every weekend. I have done all of the mechanical work to all of my cars and I have my fair share of experience with these cars. And like everyone else on here I am entitled to voice my opinion on the possible solutions to a problem. Whether the person decides to use this information is up to them. I must agree that my solution may not be a completely legal solution but it is a genuine solution to the problem. And in my position (or someone in a similiar position to me) it is the best option. I now get 100 + more km's to the tank and it didnt cost me a cent. These are extremely large benifits for me. So in my eyes and position this is the 'right way' to do it. Because I cant afford to do it the right way and I cant afford to not do it. I am not expecting you to understand the financial situation of people like me (I dare say there are alot on this forum) but I do expect you to allow this possibility to be heard and not written off as 'the right way or the wrong way'.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

impraven that is a load of rubbish,, you could probably pick up a cat from a car being wrecked for 10 bucks if you looked around.. seems to me you want hi flow, but don't want to pay for it, so you broke the law and now you spew cancerous chemicals out the back of your car where people other than yourself have to breath them.

Cats are law for a reason.. they massively reduce carcinogenic from exhaust emissions. you will probably say "whats a few more" but thats a stupid comment because you have no idea how many people read this forum, or how many people replace their cats with straight though pipes..

If u can afford to go on cruises every weekend, you could afford to pick up a cheap cat..

I paid 130 for a 3 inch magnaflow hi flow.. you could get a 2nd hand one from the sunday times wrecking column for alot less.. the money arguement doesn't wash. (I used to have to steal my food, so I know what broke really means)

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:49 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

frankieh it seems to me that you believe that a 90 model falcon without a cat will create more emissions than each of the thousands of pre-90 model cars. There is more than one emissions controlling device in our vehicles and over the years they have all been improved to show the overall reduction of emissions in a vehicle.
My car (or another similiar) without a catalytic converter will create no more pollution than a car around 10-20 years newer. Also consider this instead of my car driving past you, 2 standard cars drive past you; you will find that the 2 standard cars produce more carcinogenic gasses than my car does. Moreover if you are really as liberal about this subject as you say you are then maybe you should stay inside on weekends because "Gallon for gallon, lawn mower engines contribute 93 times more smog-forming emissions than cars."[source: Barringer]. That is 93 times more! So for the emissions that my car makes in a whole tank is breathed in by you in the first litre that you use when you are mowing your lawn.

I said I attend cruises on weekends, I didnt say that I drive my car. I am normally in someone elses car. And 130 for a 3" magnaflow is cheap but it is also 5 weeks food money for me (I know which is more important).

Last edited by impraven on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

if you go for a 2.5" highflow you get about 3rwkw's

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Post subject: Au Wagon Cat blocked
Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU WAGON

VIC, Australia

my au wagons cat is Fu*t...
im wondering if a sedans cat will fit and how much for a second hand cat?
i live in victoria

AU Forte Wagon
Fairmont Front...
17" T-series rims

soon-Superlows
El GT steering wheel(leather need to be replaced.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2