chain guide replacment 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: chain guide replacment
Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

hiya fellas. i have just pulled the head off my turbo ef and i have noticed that one of my chain guides has broken. how, i dunno when, i dunno, why, well jesus obviously hates me

anyways my question is. is it possible to change both the chain guides with out removing the timing cover with just the head off. my ford workshop manual says to pull it off but i thought id ask the gurus first if theres a way to do it with out taking the timing cover off

thanks for any help

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Post subject: Re: chain guide replacment
Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Unfortunatley the timing cover must come off along with the harmonic balancer. The sump wont have to be dropped 10mm as you already have the head off. Its easier to replace it now than later when you have the head back on.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

so with the head off, you dont need to lower the sump at all to remove timing cover?

i remember last time i helped change chain guides, the head was off at the same time, and we still couldnt get the timing cover off until we lowered the sump. I guess theres a trick to pulling it off?

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

dammit. ive just had my sump off and put my drain in for my turbo and put a new gasket on and its finially not leaking

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

to get the balancer off i just have to make a tool with a bar and two bits to fit in the two holes in the harmonic balancer and then just undo the big nut or do i have to pull it off

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

I was also under the impression that the sump had to be lowered to remove the timing cover. If you could remove it without stuffing around with the sump that would save a bit of time indeed.

As for making up a tool james88, you can buy the harmonic balancer pullers from supercheap for cheap enough, but if you have the stuff to make one up why not :)

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:13 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Broken timing chain guide happened to me whilst doing mum's eb head gasket. Take care how you lift the head or risk a broken guide. I attempted to move the head slightly forward to clear the upper firewall but struck disaster. Yes I had to drop the sump just a little. New gaskets and guide from Ford. Some RTV compound on sump gasket after a small piece broke away. Supercheap for the harmonic puller.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah will be a fun filled job. Wonder what else I should replace while I've got the timing cover off

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah will be a fun filled job. Wonder what else I should replace while I've got the timing cover off

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

With the head on you have to drop the sump by around 10mm to give a gap to remove the timing cover, but if the head is already off you dont have to drop the sump. You can lossen the sump nbolts a little if you really want to but its not needed. Basically the timing cover sandwiches between the head and sump. I snapped the top right chain guide when removing the head, the bolt was removed but the head just sat on top of the guide slightly and snap she went. The heat and oil must make them brittle over time, i wish i replaced the guides the same time as i did the head as it was a real pain in the a** to do after.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

I'm about to replace my timing chain next weekend, and am fitting a ported ED head.

Is there anything I need to worry about the dizzy?
Does the dizzy rotor spin when turning the crank, or when lining up the timing case gears?
Will I have to remove the dizzy?

Have read about aux shaft issues, what does this do - does it drive the dizzy?

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Looks like aux shaft is that other gear that runs with the crank sprocket, right?
Can someone advise if the distributor has to be removed when I am lining up my gears when I fit the head and timing chain?

I've read the rotor should be lined up to "finish" in the dizzy, but if it's not necessary to remove this part, all the better. Please advise.

I like boost

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1993 eb xr6 falcon

VIC, Australia

when doing a head i put it to top dead center first. You shouldnt turn the crank while the heads off cause the chain can slip but on tdc the ohc should be on 3 oclock and dizzy to finish. You dont need to remove the dizzy when doing the head.

hope this helps :)

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

yes it helped.

Found it impossible to fit the timing case correctly, ie: keeping the lower chain guide in place without having the sump lowered. Now need new timing case gaskets, read somewhere here that the Ford ones have some sealant in them? Can someone verfiy this, that I don't have to put any silicone either side of them?

Am tempted to replace the sump gasket whilst all this is going on - 1 piece or 4 piece, does it need to be siliconed on? Can I fit a once piece sump gasket without dropping the K Frame? This is a fk'd job!

I like boost

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

i've changed the dampners whilst doing the head cause i snapped the big one also and thought i would change all of them because they were brittle as geriatric hip bone, plus when i took the cover off the lower one wasn't there, later to be found in the sump (since when is unknown as it preceeds me...)

i think it would be nigh on impossible to fit a one piece rubber gasket although thats what i would suggest to use if practical or possible, that said in my experience i've never changed a sump gasket in the car and had it not leak.and silicone everything... the ford timing case seals have a layer of thermal glue (red i think) but the ones i've had have only had it on one side.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]