Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: chain whiring after head gasket change
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi all,

I just changed my head gasket (AU mls gasket on EL motor) and when I put the tensioner back in, I had it locked in the down position, then I put the key in and turned it till it popped back out and was pushing the chain tight..... all as it is supposed to be I thought.

However, now there is a noise coming from there.. whining sound.. I don't think it's coming from the tensioning side though, sounds more like it's coming from the fixed guide side of head.

It is not hugely loud.. but it's worrying... what would be causing it?

Car runs perfectly and the chain seemed firm but not overly tight so I don't know what is causing it.

any ideas?

rgds

Frank

Post subject: Re: chain whiring after head gasket change
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
Hi all,

I just changed my head gasket (AU mls gasket on EL motor) and when I put the tensioner back in, I had it locked in the down position, then I put the key in and turned it till it popped back out and was pushing the chain tight..... all as it is supposed to be I thought.

However, now there is a noise coming from there.. whining sound.. I don't think it's coming from the tensioning side though, sounds more like it's coming from the fixed guide side of head.

It is not hugely loud.. but it's worrying... what would be causing it?

Car runs perfectly and the chain seemed firm but not overly tight so I don't know what is causing it.

any ideas?

rgds

Frank

as you said the guides--how many ks on the motor?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Hard to say for sure because I've not owned it from new but the motor had no lip on the bores, everything seems clean and unworn.. chain guides themselves looked in good nick for the most part..

speedo says the car has done 157,000..

but I did install the tensioner right yes? lock it in the closed compressed position, install it all, and then unlock it so the guide presses in on the chain..

I suspect the noise was there before and I just didn't notice it? or the chain tensioner hadn't tightened the chain for a while and it was looser prior to my work changing the gasket.. the spring mech was pretty gunked up when I pulled it out.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Is this more like an "induction" type whine rather than a mechanical one. Because I had my head gasket fixed 2-weeks ago by a Ford mechanic, and I've also been left with a whine now.

Quite loud at lowish revs. And when in gear travelling up to around the 70kmh mark, you can hear it inside the cabin. But tends to go quieter after 70kmh. But quite loud in the engine bay.

Mine appears to be coming rear of centre above the rocker cover, also on the chain guide side!

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL fairmont

NSW, Australia

Yes i know what u mean by this its happened to me, if the chain tensioner has not been let off the right way it pushes on the chain hard and makes whiring sound.

i didnt follow the proper procedures and thats what happened to me.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:47 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If it hasn't been driven for a while, the tensioner may still be filling up with oil to work effectively. Not sure how long it would take for it to settle though...sorry.

When you put the tensioner in, did you make sure the tensioner piston was in the chain guide groove properly? I put it in once and the piston didn't slot into the guide properly...thankfully the engine was outside the bay and I spotted it while double checking before I placed the rocker cover back on. Though in saying that, I believe it would slot in once you turn the engine...probably.

Also reading your other thread regarding leak. If the tensioner is indeed leaking, you may be losing pressure and thus the chain isn't tensioned properly causing a whine? Just a guess there, but may be related.

phong =P~

EDIT: clarification...thread regarding leak was directed at Kit.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Or it could be the tensioner is locked on too tight...

This would be bad!

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Tis weird.. it went in all smoothly.. had it locked in perfectly... pushed the whole assembly in order into the mix and lined it all up.. then put the allen key in and turned it to unlock the spring load. It took up the slack and all seemed good... till now..

Sound seems to be coming from the fixed guide and it sounds like a chain rubbing at speed.

it's not noticeable once over a certain revs....

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

tensioner is done up too tight, this is what killed my engine when the tensioner was done up wrong, it puts too much tension on the chain causing it to misalign and will end up shearing off the aux shaft bolt which drives the oil pump and in turn equals an unusable block

If it has wheels or a skirt, You can't afford it.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Could also be the idler gear, mine came loose, dropped a hexbolt or two, wore the guide and said hello through the timing cover, the day it failed I heard a whirring noise that was slight and drove for 5k's.

Whilst your covers off, probe around and see if you can tell the gears tight.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Interesting find.. while I had the head off, I used 3 cans of degreaser cleaning out the engine bay...

I put my ear on the tappet cover and couldn't really hear it any louder.. so I listened some more.. I think it's the air compressor clutch bearing.. wasn't doing it before, but it probably had a lot of grease in there before... sprayed some wd40 on it while the engine was running and the noise changed and lessoned.. so might have been a false alarm with the chain... good news I think..

If this engine gets me though the rego and gas stuff.. I'm happy.. after that it can die and I'll put one of my really good ones in.

rgds

franki

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]