Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Changing ED head gasket with AU MLS & BBM & port N polish
Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

i finially got around to changing the head gasket on my ed yesterday all removed , got the head off and going to get it shaved 10 tho the head and bore look good still as you can still see the hone marks in the bore and the head is pretty clean from carbon also i going to get some port work dont to the head too while its off the valves have been lapped and 3 angle cut the block has been cleaned from all the old head gasket and wiped down with metho and coved with a lean dry sheet. I also am doing the BBM conversion on the car while i have the head off, makes sense to me haha ill try get some pics up today of it so far and thanks again to (sloxr6) for selling me the AU head gasket he had and posting it to me cheers for that ill keep you all updated on the head and porting as my new cam is sitting here with my vernier cam gears an BBM conversion so its going to be a busy week i guess i cant get the head shaved untill tuesday so im going to go start on the other job (polishing the mags) sanding back and polishing the ed xr6 5 spoke mags haha FUN!!

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Last edited by EDXR6-Poly on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Changing ED head gasket with AU MLS & BBM & port N poliah
Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

Just be carefull if you are doing any valve de-shrouding in the chamber, the AU gasket has a smaller diameter cylinder hole by 2mm than the standard gasket and can protrude into the chamber if to much material is removed while de-shrouding. Just fitting the AU gasket will raise your compression ratio by about .4 ie: 9.0 to 9.4, something to keep in mind when shaving the head.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ive got the AU Head gasket here ready to go on and the head is getting 10 thou removed to bump up the compression but with my ACL rebuild kit standard i should have about 8.9:1 and with the AU MLS gasket maybe 9.3:1 plus what ever the 10 thou will make as a difference im getting the port work dont at a Qualified head shop and they already know there is a Au steel head gasket going on the motor?

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

EDXR6-Poly wrote:
thanks again to (sloxr6)

No problem mate any time will be keeping my eye on this to see how you go.

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ive already wrapped the head up but ill try to get a few pics up of what ive done so far to show the progress ive gotten so far

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ill have to get some pics up of what ive done so far but ive wrapped the head up to send away already but ive got a dead line to get it put back together by the 10th feb to get dynoed with the head work cam new springs head gasket BBM conversion and AU injectors so if all goes well ill have it done by then i hope!!!

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

Well all I can say is you better get working on it and hope the head joint don't stuff you around.

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

its supposed to be getting done on tuesday morning so hopefully i have the head back by wed?

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Isnt it a public holiday on Tuesday but?
Cant see a head joint being open then.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i thought monday was the public holiday?

Post subject: Re: Changing ED head gasket with AU MLS & BBM & port N polish
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

well head was sent this morning and started and was machined this afternoon and on wednesday it is getting ported also my new head bolts arrived today as well as my new bonnet vents so it looks like i might have the motor back together by the weekend maybe if all goes well and my BBM turnes up and i sort out the wiring and vaccume lined (fun fun) so far the list of things to doo by the end of Jan is:
*BBM conversion
*Head work (10 shaved off the head )
*Port & Polish the head
*New camshaft
*Vernier cam gears
*Au injectors
*bonnet vents
so far ive got the vents on and 1 Mag wheel half polished only another 4 and a half to go argh!!!

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ok i got the head back this morning ported and polished and wih 10tho removed put the AU MLS head gasket on and the New bolts (AU Multi Layer Steel ( MLS ) gasket - 30nm then 120 degrees) and tightened now still waiting on my BBM to turn up to install it also i have the Vaccum solenoid switch but no plug any help on what i could do as the wreckers are too far from me to go see them could i just possibly solder some wires to the pins? if so any one be able to tell me what pin is what? (earth and power)? please

On a good note i have the cam installed and the vernier cam gear on and all together. And half way through polishing the EL rocker cover (i soda blasted it to remove the paint and gunk) cheated at that part but made it alot quicker to get sanded back

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

WELL, THE BBM is on and all connected (except fot the vacc lines) and everything bolted up except the rockers and shims which is todays job (adding the extra shim for the reground cam) i have taken pics as my progress has been slowly getting there and will post them up soon as i finish (hopefully this afternoon)

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

well all was good till i broke a rocker got it all connected and didnt even get to drive it and it only idled for about 3 mins

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]