Changing stock EF diff from 3.08 to 3.45 LSD 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Changing stock EF diff from 3.08 to 3.45 LSD
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:52 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF 5 speed

ACT, Australia

Hi All

I'm looking to upgrade from the stock EF 3.08 diff to a 3.45 LSD.

What would be the best way to go about it? Some people say just swap the diff centre and gears only, others say swap the whole diff.

I might be getting my hands on an EL Fairmont Ghia 3.45 LSD. I've read that this will not be a straight bolt in replacement as the EF/EL diffs are different.

Would it be possible for me to just change the diff centre only, would that fit without modification?

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Changing stock EF diff from 3.08 to 3.45 LSD
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

It will bolt straight in, the differences are the diff hat has the Watts link pivot lower. Actually in a better position on the EL than non XR EF's. The other difference is the cable for the handbrake is slightly different, I think if you use the EL one it should be OK. Changing the diff center is not trivial if you want to do it correctly.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:20 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 03 BA

NSW, Australia

dude who reconded my diff, which was ef said just grab diff centre an swap over dont worry abt put the lot in.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

somebody asked me how i did mine ages ago via pm. This may help you.

Hey,

as long as you use the upper trailing arms from the el and using the original mount points on the axle housing as it was in the el you'll be fine. The watts links you already have in the ef will fit up perfectly. The only difference is the mount point on the diff housing is lower which is better for body roll(you prolly already know this). Lower arms are same ef to el but if you have the lower arms on the el diff still, use them.

This mod is easier done if you have the el diff with upper and lower arms on it already and just swap everything over. You should have someone help you. Lining s**t up afterwards is easier with 2 peeps. Service then new diff before you put it in. I forgot to do this pretty silly.

When you do it. Jack car up by diff and place stands under chasis rails in front of the rear wheels and forward of where the trailing arms bolt to the chasis. Wheels off. Unbolt the upper trailing arms from the chasis leaving them attached to the ef dif. Unbolt the lower arms from the chasis( if you have them already attached to the el diff, if not unbolt from the diff leaving them hanging in the car).

Support the weight of the diff with the Jack. Undo the rear shocks and leave them hanging in there. Unbolt the watts link from the diff housing but leave it attached to the chasis. Disconnect the handbrake cable from underneath the car. There is a connector about halfway along the cable. It's a bit of a c clip. Last thing is the abs electrical connectors the feed into the cabin underneath the rear seat. Just pull the bottom part of the seat out and unplug them.

Now the diff should be pretty much free. The watts link will need a bit of persuading to come off then the diff will be completely free resting on the Jack. Then simply slide the whole lot out from the rear of the car.

Then all you have to do is the opposite to put it back in. Put it on the Jack slide it under the car, Jack it up, line it up(might be a pain in the a***) then bolt it up.

I hope I haven't forgot anything. If you need more info feel free to ask.

Cheers Tim

The most important bit is to keep the upper control arms from the el diff and put them in your ef. They are different length and line up to different holes on the axles. These changes where the improvements made to el's for body roll and handling.

1995 EF Futura
Port and Polished 94DT Tickford Head - Crow valve springs - 68mm Throttle Body - Wade 1673
4499 Pacemakers - 2.5" exhaust - Ti J3 Chip - 2J1 Techedge Logger -EL Tickford 3.45LSD -
XR low springs - Boge Turbo Shocks - Front DBA slotted Rotors - BA ESS shifter - Shift Kit

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

find a complete ef xr6 diff and arms, makes for an easy swap over

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]