Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Check Your Relays First!
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Here's a story as recommended by MitchG911,

We're driving along at like 2am in the morning, on our way to bathurst We been me, Mitchg911, and Fuzzy (not Fuzion). As Im driving, I see the mobil as the entrance to Bathurst. All of a sudden, car dies, Revs gone, and we come to a halt. After numerous cranking, and more cranking, and more cranking.. it was diagnosed dead. No spark.

So we camped there the night (I have a wagon, with a matress in the back). Slept well, got up in the morning tried again. Still dead.
Anyway, race was on, so we went, and left her on the side of the highway.

After the race we came back, and decided that it wasn't worth trying to fix it in the dark, and I decided it was most probably the coil (no spark).

So, we went home, and the next morning, back to bathurst equiped with tools, another coil, and another TFI module. (just in case).

We changed the coil quickly, and still no go. Strange, put it in fuzzy's car (EL Farimont Ghia), and his started. Damn.
So, TFI module it is then... out comes the dizzy...
pulled the dizzy out, and remembered where the rotor was facing.

We changed the TFI module, put it back in, still no go, f**k!
Took it out, took of the rotor button, and the bottom cap, checked that the connection to the TFI module is fine (We didn't have a multimeter), and chucked it back in.. Trying to put that cap back on, we realised it wasn't going on, because mysteriously the rotor cap button was turned around on the wrong spot, and not seated properly... uhoh. So we changed it, didn't take notice of which way back in it went..

Still no spark.
Frustrated, we went to do laps around bathurst (in Fuzzy's car), and came back... After seeking advice with Jaysen, he said he had something similar and it ended up been the ECU relay.. finally it clicked in my head.

Ages ago, my fuel pump stopped working.. ended up been the relay holder under the coolant overflow bottle had just stopped conducting.. snipped it off, replaced the relay, and all was good. There was another relay there, exactly the same (IGNITION relay).. OH s**t!

So back to the car, and fulled the f**k off, shorted the wires.. Mitch was holding the coil wire, as I attempted to start the car.. I saw Mitch jump up and down very vigorously, and for some reason that made me very happy. WE HAVE SPARK!

So we put it all back together (this is all in the dark under a phone light)... but where is this rotor button meant to be sitting?....f**k!

From when it went dark (~6pm), till about 2am we were taking the dizzy out, and turning it around to try and start it. It was like almost negative degrees and it was a sunny day so most of us came unprepared for the weather.

So, we kind of got it to start... barely. I drove... flat foot, just to make it on a dead flat.
We got to this hill, it kept getting steeper, and steeper, and steeper, next thing I know I can't keep my feet on the floor, and my engine is on max temp (almost)... shut it down. (I was in first gear foot flat the whole way up). Popped the bonnet, and all I could see was extractors, red, on fire, very very hot, and alot of steam coming out of the overflow....s**t!!!

So we rolled it back, into someones driveway, and left it there.

A couple of days later, went out there with Jaysen, advanced it a bit more.. and we were in a hurry so no time to get it right. Got it to run, a bit better, made it up the hill (in 2nd this time), and kept driving.

Got to his place, and just as I was turning around to park the car the accelerator cable snapped.. lol.

Clutched the car to the gutter, and just left it there.. I am yet to fix it.

So the lesson goes!

CHECK YOUR RELAYS FIRST!!!!!

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

lol, sounds like you had a good trip though none the less??

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

haha thats piss funny!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Futura

NSW, Australia

today...i cleaned out my engin bay...started the car - drove about 300metres...car just dies

so...i sit there..turn it over...uh ohhh..nothing

no spark, but i cant get the dizzy off..how the hell are we meant to reach to them on an EL? i got it taken to the auto elec, god knows whats its gona cost me to get it going again. the nrma guy looked at the relays, reckon if it was one of them he'd have noticed by just looking at them?

really annoying cos i need the car... what are the possible things that it could be n ne ideas what its gona set me back to fix?

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:27 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

it was a good trip yes.
Piss funny - well now that I look back at it yeah, it sortof was.

and ndroo mym advice stands.. check the relay, make sure that it is clicking, and if in doubt, take it out, and bridge it.

The EL dizzy's are easier to get to than the EA/EB/EDs. So stop whinging.
Good luck

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Good way to check spark ..Haha

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:43 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

lol, sure is. Even more amusing for the "starter". No its zapping, now its not... now its zapping again, now its not.

At the coil too, so wouldve hurt 6 times more often than the number 1 lead. lol

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:49 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

lol yer oki no more complaints from me...but surly theres a better place for it on both models :P

o well, i'll report back whenever i find out what the go is with it...*shakes fist* evil car.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:54 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

lol, true. The V8 guys get it easy in those terms.
Atleast someone's looking at yours.. mine was on the side of the road, and we were playing try this try that.. and basically just using trial and error to find the problem.

By the way, don't pull the dizzy off. Firstly, unplug your coil, and check for primary voltage.. There will be a loom, and just check voltage on it when the car is on ON. There should be sufficient voltage there. If there's voltage, then suspect either your TFI module or your coil.. or that relay.. EVIL fkn RELAY!

Good luck with it!

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:55 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

got it back around 3 today...coil. All goes well again :D

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

lol... I wish the coil was my problem...
congrats. How much did it all end up costing you?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:40 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

lol...well only being the coil i regret having it taken to the mechanic, could have done that one myself... $100. $67 coil...$33 labour. I had tafe anyway so i guess having it done while im there wasnt such a bad thing, n damn it is hard to get to so haha...the absent cuts on my hands and frustration makes the cost pretty insignificant.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]