Fordmods Logo

Checked you're rackbolts lately? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Checked you're rackbolts lately?
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

Nyloc nuts are not to be re-used. Contrary to popular belief they are a one use only disposable item. To take one off and replace without cleaning would be lazy indeed.

I myself believe if I'm going to pay for someone to do something, I'd like to have some peace of mind that they know what they are doing. Hence why I don't visit my local ford dealer unless it's something directly dealer related. Even then it's at a push.

Thanks for the warning though. If I'm one of the people whos steering rack falls out mid stroke down the road I'll be sure to post.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Pakrat wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
So you don't even torque them to the correct tension or clean the area first? No wonder you have to keep doing it.

Was that aimed at me? Because if so FYI they don't keep doing it, once I tighten them they are fine, they havy nyloc nuts on them and it's not like the threads dirty the just need a nip up.
If you were mention to be anal about it and Tempe the bus and clean the thread and replace the nut and add thread lock, they would say to do that in the service guid, instead if saying check rack by tension.
How much do you charge to remove the nut and clean the thread, we know ou like to make sure customers pay up and you're pockets full. I chuck a spanner on it and fix the problem for free.

Again more proof your workshop is one that cuts corners in an effort to be cheep.
Workshop / people like you are the ones giving this trade a bad name.
I'd hat to see what els you don't do properly

You also don't seem very smart, It doesn't line you pockets, You charge by the hour, There are only so many chargeable hour in a day, You can cut corners like you do and charge the hours over more cars, or do the job properly like do and charge the hours over less cars. At the end of the day it the same amount of hours and the same amount of money. The difference is the individual customer may pay a little more but the quality of the work better.

You may think I over charge, my customers don't and I have a higher repeat customer rate then any other place I had previously worked for.

You cater for cheap customers I cater for quality ones.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

TBH I've never an issue with the E series setup - I've changed a couple of racks over too.
They're a hex bolt with an integral flange to act as a washer - I take it from the banter that AU's and later are a stud and nut ??? I suppose after they're done up, you could also add some creep marks with whiteout or paint, so they're easy to recheck with a torch.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

Ah man, I just don't see how you could justify charging someone a hours labour to go the long way about something like nipping up a rack.
Its these kind of things to help out our customers, as of course they arnt made of cash like yours that keeps them comming back.
If you quoted me a hours labour plus parts to tighten 2 nuts I'd laugh and do it myself in you're doorway.
Maybe it's that you blindside you're customers with this big complicated round the world way of going about simple tasks that gets them to actually pay you for the "work" but we'd rather do it for free and keep the customers plentiful.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

BLAH BLAH BLAH........

By the way i didn't post how much it cost.

corner cutters like you will never understand quality work.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:39 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef Ghia 1994

QLD, Australia

Pakrat wrote:
Ah man, I just don't see how you could justify charging someone a hours labour to go the long way about something like nipping up a rack.
Its these kind of things to help out our customers, as of course they arnt made of cash like yours that keeps them comming back.
If you quoted me a hours labour plus parts to tighten 2 nuts I'd laugh and do it myself in you're doorway.
Maybe it's that you blindside you're customers with this big complicated round the world way of going about simple tasks that gets them to actually pay you for the "work" but we'd rather do it for free and keep the customers plentiful.

Geeze man are you still going on this subject. Obviously not alot of customers if you have the time to run real mechanics down haha Give it a break would you,even i can tell your doing it all wrong :roll: If you weren't so pig headed ya might just learn something :roll: Oh like your method of re-torqing head gaskets by the way haha re-torquing head bolts would only do more harm than good. Guess you can't get your (head) around the torque to yield bolts :lol: Have a listen to yourself already 20 yrs old and think u know it all. Im afraid you have a long way to go!

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

Mine wasn't rack bolts, I suspect the swaybar links now...

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ef Ghia XR6 wrote:

Geeze man are you still going on this subject. Obviously not alot of customers if you have the time to run real mechanics down haha Give it a break would you,even i can tell your doing it all wrong :roll: If you weren't so pig headed ya might just learn something :roll: Oh like your method of re-torqing head gaskets by the way haha re-torquing head bolts would only do more harm than good. Guess you can't get your (head) around the torque to yield bolts :lol: Have a listen to yourself already 20 yrs old and think u know it all. Im afraid you have a long way to go!

Dont you look smart now sir.
You do realize we are talking about steerig rack bolts, not head bolts, and mainly au on Wich is a stud and nut system.
I understand TTY bolts and single use, as are nylocks. This isn't the point.

And FYI I've been home sick with Bronchitis.
So go f "ya" self. d**k

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Pakrat wrote:
This isn't the point.

No the point is that Fords tension for these bolts is 80nm, it is that critical that the spec is cast into the sub frame next to the mounting bolt.

Yet you still choose to ignore this and just 'nip them up' and call it job done. But you are leaving all the grit and grime ect between the mating surfaces and you have absolutely no idea how tight you just did that nut up.

It's lazy corner cutters like you that give this trade the reputation of being dodgy and you do it all the name of being cheap.

There are two sides to the argument, your side claims it's ok to do a half a*** job as long as it's cheap.
My side says there is no place in this trade for poor work and cost cutting measures that result in poor quality work.

I know which side of the argument I like to be on.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I see where youre coming from.
I still don't see a problem with what I do. But for the sake of it I will use a torque wrench now, even tho it'll now take longer to do a free job.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef Ghia 1994

QLD, Australia

Pakrat wrote:
Ef Ghia XR6 wrote:

Dont you look smart now sir.
You do realize we are talking about steerig rack bolts, not head bolts, and mainly au on Wich is a stud and nut system.
I understand TTY bolts and single use, as are nylocks. This isn't the point.

And FYI I've been home sick with Bronchitis.
So go f "ya" self. d**k

Yeah i do look alot smarter than u don't i,but then again it's not hard when your as dumb as dog s*#t haha.I relized what you were talking about eg.steering rack (der). I only mentioned head bolts because i have seen your posts about re-tensioning head bolts. The point is that i you aint doing the job properly it aint worth doing. It was just one of the the many examples of your pig headedness not listening to factory specs and thinking you know better than everyone. Gotta do a head gasket soon and sure as hell won't be listening to you. Anyway it's not my fault your a sick f#*k haha. There aint no excuse for pigheadedness...

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Please find me a post where I suggest to someone to re tention their head bolts. I'd like to see it.
Also how can you read this ENTIRE thread, somehow not realize that it's about rack bolts and then call me dumb as dog s**t. FFs mate it's In the topic title !¿!
Have you even done a headgasket before? How deep is you're mechanical knowledge for you to have the nerve to say I don't know s**t.
Everyone's haven a go at me cos you can just re torque the rack bolt and that's fine. Yes you can do it like tickford_6 does but eitherway the aim of this thread was to INFORM people of this very common fault, id expect most members would sevrvice their own cars an might miss it if they know as much as you.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Pakrat wrote:
I see where youre coming from.

Pakrat wrote:
I still don't see a problem with what I do.

That's a contradiction.

If you don't see a problem with what you do, then you can't see where I'm coming from.
To be honest it sounds more like you need to quit where you working and finish your apprenticeship at a better workshop.
You'll never learn quality work while you are working for mechanics that are teaching you to cut corners.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

No it's not.
You could do it my way, or you're way, end of the day it's done and it's either gonna have cost the customer nothing and whatever you'd charge.

Unfortunately we can't all pick and choose where we work like you must have managed to do (in a dream I assume) and since I have a big house, 3 cars, a full time job, guarenteed work, good pay, my Son and fiencee at home I don't think I'll even blink at you're misslead suggestion, as you still havnt poped in to visit our shop and see with you're real eyes.
How you are so certain of things you havnt seen? Just assumptions?

Post subject: Re: Checked your rackbolts lately?
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL GLi

There's a difference between knowing your s**t and knowing you're s**t, apparently.

Build Thread

the-garage-f53/benno-the-viking-s-el-t111731.html

Ain't nuthin' to it but do it!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next