Fordmods Logo

Chiptorque Hp2 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Chiptorque Hp2
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I have an el falcon and have done the usuall air intake and exhaust with extractors upgrade. Since the exhaust upgrade the car seems to be running rich which I read is normal, but it also seems to be a bit sluggish unless i'm getting up it. Do you think a Chiptorque Hp2 chip with the adjusted air/fuel ratios will help it run better and get more out of the current mods. A rang Chiptorque and the guy said I can expect an 8-10rwkw with better pedal response and fuel economy (depending on how often the right foot cramps). Can anybody tell me if I'm going about this the wrong way. I'm ready for another performance upgrade and I'm starting to think that a chip might be an alround good thing. What does everybody think? Has anybody had any experiences with chiptorque?
Thanks in advance.

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:30 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB falcon 5spd

SA, Australia

ive heard good things about chiptorque. i have never used one (never needed) BUT there are some draw backs, ie. every time you do a new mod you have to get your chip reprogrammed, also i think they are about $550. why not just get a MS2 there only about $360 and they do way more.

check out the ECU garage, heaps more info in there.

1993 EBII GLI, IT'S PERFORMANCE Stage 3 engine,
XH Snorkel, K+N panel, Pacie 4480, High flow cat,
2.5" Lukey cat back system. Monroe GT Gas shocks + struts.

just dyno'd at 140.9RWKW

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:38 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ebeast wrote:
why not just get a MS2 there only about $360 and they do way more.

This is true, but MS isn't really the best option if you're not handy with electronics (me/ raises hand), and just want a "plug 'n' play" solution, without the extra cost of tuning (if you can find someone willing to tune one)
Personally, I'd get a cam and chip package, finish it all off nicely, and get a fair whack more power.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB falcon 5spd

SA, Australia

some one found a site a couple of weeks ago 'www.glensgarage.com.au' from memory he sells the complete kit for $360 (i may be wrong but i think thats how i remember it) otherwise its only about $200 for DIY. as for tuning, wouldnt you have to get a chip tuned aswell?

1993 EBII GLI, IT'S PERFORMANCE Stage 3 engine,
XH Snorkel, K+N panel, Pacie 4480, High flow cat,
2.5" Lukey cat back system. Monroe GT Gas shocks + struts.

just dyno'd at 140.9RWKW

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Ebeast wrote:
why not just get a MS2 there only about $360 and they do way more.

This is true, but MS isn't really the best option if you're not handy with electronics (me/ raises hand), and just want a "plug 'n' play" solution, without the extra cost of tuning (if you can find someone willing to tune one)
Personally, I'd get a cam and chip package, finish it all off nicely, and get a fair whack more power.

I've been following a lot of the cam discussions and I am a bit worried about going down that path for the following reasons:

1. More wear and tear: I am bound to apprentice wages so I'm planning on keeping the car for at least another 3-4 years. I'm concerned that the drive-train won't hold up, not to mention the engine and things like valve springs. The car has just ticked over 163000 km's and done the head gasket recently.

2. Fuel economy
3. Idle quality
4. Loss of bottom end power: I intend on keeping the single spinner diff so whatever is lost I would have to live with.

I realise this all sounds paranoid but I’m not a mechanic and I can’t afford for things to go bad. Is there anybody who has had a cam for a number years that can verify my concerns or tell me that I have no idea what I’m talking about.

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

I have the HP4 cam and chip package. And exhaust, extractors and intake mode.

In fact the car is going in for dyno tuning tomorrow. I will post results.

I have found Chiptorque a pleasure to deal with, they are fast, they know what things are and spend the time to explain it to you.

I installed my kit myself. First power under 2300 RPM was a bit down and throttle response was sluggish. Over that the car just took off!

Then I wrote up as much information as I could about the driveability under 2300 RPM (helped by the datalogger) And they retuned it for free. Now I really do have more power everywhere. Perhaps a slight loss below 1300 RPM but it's not a problem at all. 1200 RPM in 5th gear is fine even up hills. Think Factory with more meat!
Idle is only slightly worse than stock, a tremor rather than a lump. It NEVER stalls and it's perfect even if you have just reset the ECU. Aircon, steering its fine.

I would say get one, I mean for $1050 it's a real lift in performance. (some people spend more than that on stickers!) Totally happy. We will see if more custom tuning makes an improvement.

(P.S. you still have to tune a Mega Squirt, to do it right on the dyno it will cost more than a chip)

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xr6ute, XE351,65 fastback muzzy

QLD, Australia

stuff chiptalk get something that you can tune.you got slugish power? how good is your coil, dizzycap leads and plugs! go for bosch black transistor coil it puts out 40000 volts plus. $55 for coil :wink:

xr6 ute, XE 351, 65 fastback muzzy

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Oh yeah, the car is now 1L / 100Km MORE efficient. Would probabily be a lot better if I kept my foot off the loud pedal.

Your car will wear out faster but that's life. Really your unlikely to do any damage. The drivetrain was designed for a V8 and your not going to hit that much torque with your I6. I think Chiptorque can remap the auto trans too if you ask.

I would say get the HP2 now and when you feel like you want more power upgrade to a HP4 and Cam.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xr6ute, XE351,65 fastback muzzy

QLD, Australia

drive someone elses car with a few mods just to see what the difference is. Im gonna take a guess that kelford cams do the cam grinds for chiptorque knowing that there next door to each other ,you might save a chunk of money going straight to kelford cams , i got a regrind cam off him for $70 a couple of years ago for my old 4 banger parts hauler.

xr6 ute, XE 351, 65 fastback muzzy

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The cam is a crow 2222549 -HP4. Its ground slightly differently to a normal 549.

Manual EL Gli.

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

68keith wrote:
stuff chiptalk get something that you can tune.you got slugish power? how good is your coil, dizzycap leads and plugs! go for bosch black transistor coil it puts out 40000 volts plus. $55 for coil :wink:

I have new plugs and leads so the coil is probably worth looking at, will do that. Cheers!

68keith wrote:
drive someone elses car with a few mods just to see what the difference is.
That would be a good way to find out what I'm getting myself into but unfortunately I don't know anybody with a cammed inline 6 falcon. Is there any car clubs in qld that I could talk to, somewhere between the Sunshine coast and Bundaberg maybe?

68keith wrote:
Im gonna take a guess that kelford cams do the cam grinds for chiptorque knowing that there next door to each other ,you might save a chunk of money going straight to kelford cams , i got a regrind cam off him for $70 a couple of years ago for my old 4 banger parts hauler.

Do you think chiptorque would be able to program a chip for other cams like alted?? There seems to be more and more people going with alted cams every time I visit this forum. They come into power at 2000rpm right? What are they like below that? My car is auto by the way.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Tickford Fairmont 5.0

NSW, Australia

My AU is running the HP2 chiptorque chip as for response and power well the money is well spent and some how i seam to give JIM MOCK EQUIPPED cars a mighty fine run hehehehe ah well enough of that but yes it cost me $685 drive in drive out.

T402 ISX 500hp daily driver
98 AU Tickford Fairmont 5.0 175kw stocker....

"member of the wgaf club about 400m times"

Post subject: Re: Chiptorque Hp2
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Fugen jikko wrote:
I have an el falcon and have done the usuall air intake and exhaust with extractors upgrade. Since the exhaust upgrade the car seems to be running rich which I read is normal, but it also seems to be a bit sluggish unless i'm getting up it. Do you think a Chiptorque Hp2 chip with the adjusted air/fuel ratios will help it run better and get more out of the current mods.

A good place to start would be to assess the current air fuel ratios by having a run on the dyno logged with a/fs versus power.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well I got my car dyno tuned see results before and after tuning below. It shows Chiptorque have it pretty spot on from standard, although Air fuel was a bit lean before custom tuning.

As Driven = Crow Stg3, Chiptorque HP4, Lukey Exhaust and extractors
Custom Tune = As above with custom tuning.

Lachlan said that he has seen most cars make more power, ie typically 135 -140RwKw with pacemaker comps but mine with lukeys is making more power at 2400-4000 RPM than those cars. So I'm pretty happy with it since that is where I drive it most on the road.

Attachments:
Dyno Run 13-12-2005.JPG
Dyno Run 13-12-2005.JPG [ 99.87 KiB | Viewed 117 times ]

Manual EL Gli.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]