Fordmods Logo

chopped out thrust bearing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: chopped out thrust bearing
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

ive just pulled a motor down, its out of an el auto (4l).
the motor has 130k on it and is immaculate except for the fact it has destroyed the thrust bearing, (and badly damaged the crank in the process)

now i casn replace the crank and so forth to make it all work again, but i want to know why it did it in the first place. has anyone got any ideas?
the front side of the bearing is damaged ie asif something was exerting force forward on the crank. if it were a manual i would understand but being an auto leaves me at a loss.

any ideas, or things to check would be welcome...

cheers lads.

mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Yeah very strange considering it's an auto, although i did strike the same thing on a 202 blue motor once, i threw another crank in and never had a problem with it.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

im hoping the crank had a machining fault from factory which gradually made itself worse, but toward the end it got worse really quick.
i found it because the torque converter bolts started rubbing on the dust covers infront of the bellhousing.. now thats a noise i dont want to hear again.

the motor runs perfect, and the trans is also like new. no noises clunks or anything unfriendly..

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:27 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Not a hybrid engine by any chance?

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

nope good old genuine el

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I saw this happen to a 308 Holden V8. It turns out that the guy who built the auto, a Turbo 400, had done something wrong inside, which put an extreme amount of end thrust onto the crank, and stuffed a $1000 stroker crank.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Post subject: Re: chopped out thrust bearing
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

mitchg911 wrote:
the motor has 130k on it and is immaculate except for the fact it has destroyed the thrust bearing, (and badly damaged the crank in the process)

now i casn replace the crank and so forth to make it all work again, but i want to know why it did it in the first place. has anyone got any ideas?
the front side of the bearing is damaged ie asif something was exerting force forward on the crank. if it were a manual i would understand but being an auto leaves me at a loss.

cheers lads.

mitch
This was a problem late EF early EL, apparently the bearing material was harder than the crank and it wore the crank out. Most were replaced under factory warranty with as little as 5000k's on them. No option but to replace crank and bearings. When mine went I replaced the motor with an AU.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Post subject: Re: chopped out thrust bearing
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

twason wrote:
mitchg911 wrote:

cheers lads.

mitch
This was a problem late EF early EL, apparently the bearing material was harder than the crank and it wore the crank out. Most were replaced under factory warranty with as little as 5000k's on them. No option but to replace crank and bearings. When mine went I replaced the motor with an AU.

hmmm if it is on Early EL's hopefully it was replaced on mine...if not a new one is going in anyway once the Manual gets put in.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

mitchg911 wrote:
im hoping the crank had a machining fault from factory which gradually made itself worse, but toward the end it got worse really quick.
i found it because the torque converter bolts started rubbing on the dust covers infront of the bellhousing.. now thats a noise i dont want to hear again.

the motor runs perfect, and the trans is also like new. no noises clunks or anything unfriendly..

-mitch
so your end float has to be 3-5mm,the box input shaft is to long or the spigot bearing is hanging out,the hole in the crank isnt deep enough for the bearing------one or both caused the thrust forward,you have to find out before you rebuild it.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
mitchg911 wrote:

-mitch
so your end float has to be 3-5mm,the box input shaft is to long or the spigot bearing is hanging out,the hole in the crank isnt deep enough for the bearing------one or both caused the thrust forward,you have to find out before you rebuild it.
i dont follow you, yes the float is 2-3mm, but the torque converter can slide back and forth on the input shaft, allowing it to rub..

twason, thats the first ive heard of that but i hope your right.(the crank is damaged much worse than the bearing).. ive sorced a new crank and bearings etc, itll be going back together on sunday (provided we dont find anything else a miss.

cheers
mitch

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
I saw this happen to a 308 Holden V8. It turns out that the guy who built the auto, a Turbo 400, had done something wrong inside, which put an extreme amount of end thrust onto the crank, and stuffed a $1000 stroker crank.

That makes absolutely no sense at all, you'd think the trans pump would fall to bits before it chewed a crank thrust out.
By that, i mean it would have to have a lot of pressure pushing forward on the convertor, the convertor locks into the oil pump on the trans.

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

mitchg911 wrote:
hans hartman wrote:
mitchg911 wrote:

-mitch
i dont follow you, yes the float is 2-3mm, but the torque converter can slide back and forth on the input shaft, allowing it to rub..

twason, thats the first ive heard of that but i hope your right.(the crank is damaged much worse than the bearing).. ive sorced a new crank and bearings etc, itll be going back together on sunday (provided we dont find anything else a miss.

cheers
mitch
I got the information directly from a mate who was a ford mechanic doing the warranty work at the time. Judging by your description a new crank and bearings will fix this forever.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Walker wrote:
cjh wrote:

That makes absolutely no sense at all, you'd think the trans pump would fall to bits before it chewed a crank thrust out.
By that, i mean it would have to have a lot of pressure pushing forward on the convertor, the convertor locks into the oil pump on the trans.

You heard of that mob called "The 308 Shop". Well, thats where the crank came from ( it was a Harrop ), and thats where it went back to, to get repaired, and they sent back with the crank, a 4 page article on what happens when a TH 350/400 is built incorrectly. Anyway, the auto got repaired by another guy, and the problem hasn't resurfaced since, so you tell me. That engine made 320 RWHP, and would get 500km on a tank city driving with 1/2 tonne of plumbing gear in the back of the HJ ute.
It ran 10.6:1 comp. and ran on PULP, no pinging. This was back in '96.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]