New Zealand

been there done that, does f**k all

Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Falcon

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Rear resonator. I dont have any resonators, only a small single muffler box before the diff and I dont get any drone. I didnt even get any drone with it dumped straight out of the muffler before the diff.

man i shouldnt have let the exhaust shop choose muffler type. Ive got a lukey muffler in the rear (chambered) which I provided and a redback (crap) in the centre and it drones. Not as bad as the old one but more than I care to have.

Enough with the s**t glasspacks, ive gone for a good hooker muffler which goes in tomorrow.

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Mines a Lukey box. My mate had a no-brand box before the diff and a no-brand ressie after, f**k it droned like a C***.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Mines a Lukey box. My mate had a no-brand box before the diff and a no-brand ressie after, f**k it droned like a C***.

I had that same set-up with my old eb 2.5" lukey exhaust. All noise when your hard on the fun pedal and a p***y cat when your cruising around. The auto seemed to have lower all-round revs than my au which is a manual.

Taking time to get my au exhaust to where I want it.

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Rear resonator. I dont have any resonators, only a small single muffler box before the diff and I dont get any drone. I didnt even get any drone with it dumped straight out of the muffler before the diff.

Guess it comes down to what you are using, that was my experience from the stock 2 muffler/res system.

When I made up my new one on (12" glass pack and hooker aerochamber) it didn't drone when dumped at the diff, although was really loud in the cabin and had a better note after putting a tailpipe on.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

I had mine dumped at the diff for a few days late last week, and it didnt drone either.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au/nu series 1 fairlane 6

VIC, Australia

I replaced the center muffler with 2 1/2 hooker aerochamber and went with a off the shelf 2 1/2 mandrel bent tail pipe , I love the sound not to loud but sounds great when you are on the gas .

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Ford Ef Falcon

QLD, Australia

i had a 2.25 with only one muffler, dad cut the others out, spose to give bit better fuel economy, but made it sound like a tractor... i recommend just getting a 2.5, they are cheap off ebay and even cheaper off here.. much better the cutting mufflers out... i have extractors and 2.5 with one muffler, no drone and sounds alright for a 6....

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Futura

QLD, Australia

if you feel like driving to bundaberg i have a 2.5'' system with single straight thru "turbo" muffler you can have for nothing, i cut the tailpipe of to remove but thats an easy fix.

A friend will bail you out of jail, a mate sits beside and says "oh s**t what have we done now"
Tip for beginners, the coppa doesnt think its funny when you ask him to put your hooning fine on your spers account.

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

maybe , like others have said, chop it and have a drive / listen, but a word of advice (sorry to sound like a dad, but WTF...) - when you DO listen, try and imagine you are a copper listening to it...would YOU defect it? I'd hate to see yet another thread on here next week along the lines of `f#@king cops picking on me coz I'm on P's..'

If you think it probably DOES sound a bit loud or droney, you can be 100% sure that the average cop will think even worse of it..

Oh, and final thought, just my own humble opinion, 6's and loud exhausts just don't mix...if you want a louder exhaust and you don't want everyone else to think you're a tool, bite the bullet and buy a V8...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:03 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

all_torque wrote:
if you feel like driving to bundaberg i have a 2.5'' system with single straight thru "turbo" muffler you can have for nothing, i cut the tailpipe of to remove but thats an easy fix.

cheers mate... hmmm bundaberg is a trek... i could probably buy a cat back system with the money i'd spend in petrol lol. thanks anyway mate.

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:43 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
if you want a louder exhaust and you don't want everyone else to think you're a tool, bite the bullet and buy a V8...

The kid is 17 and your recommending he gets a v8?

average cop sees everyday p plate six cyl with loud exhaust will pull him over if hes in a bad mood or doesnt like the driving style.

average cop sees p plate v8 with loud exhaust will pull over 9 times out of 10 unless they have something more important to do. Tearlejc im sure you know that its illegal for p platers to drive turbos or more than 6 cyl dont you? This is VIC and NSW for sure and I think QLD as well. Dunno bout other states.

its well known that on a modest budget the falcon six is a better car anyway.

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:53 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

rhys.c wrote:
tearlejc wrote:
if you want a louder exhaust and you don't want everyone else to think you're a tool, bite the bullet and buy a V8...

average cop sees everyday p plate six cyl with loud exhaust will pull him over if hes in a bad mood or doesnt like the driving style.

average cop sees p plate v8 with loud exhaust will pull over 9 times out of 10 unless they have something more important to do. Tearlejc im sure you know that its illegal for p platers to drive turbos or more than 6 cyl dont you? This is VIC and NSW for sure and I think QLD as well. Dunno bout other states.

bang on mate. :]

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Jakel123 wrote:
rhys.c wrote:
tearlejc wrote:

bang on mate. :]

First off, I'm not saying a V8 is better or worse than a 6 - had many 6's myself. What I'm saying is 6's with loud exhausts generally don't sound good. If you want a 6, keep it quiet...but as I ALSO said, its just my opinion. On 6's I've owned I have modified exhausts with maybe V8 mufflers or several aftermarkets to improve flow and maybe give a slight sound but, in my opinion loud and 6 don't go together. My whole point in the first place is better to stay legal - don't go hacking bits off your car for no good reason, and I'll add to that, don't drive a V8 if you're not supposed to..

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

LOL P platers should be allowed to drive e series v8's (standard) They are buckets o s**t in stock form. Slower then the 6

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next