Fordmods Logo

chopping mufflers 

 

Page 2 of 4 [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
 Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 34

Posts: 1166

Joined: 31st Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

Location: Christchurch
New Zealand

been there done that, does f**k all
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 139

Joined: 23rd Mar 2008

Ride: AU Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Rear resonator. I dont have any resonators, only a small single muffler box before the diff and I dont get any drone. I didnt even get any drone with it dumped straight out of the muffler before the diff.


man i shouldnt have let the exhaust shop choose muffler type. Ive got a lukey muffler in the rear (chambered) which I provided and a redback (crap) in the centre and it drones. Not as bad as the old one but more than I care to have.

Enough with the s**t glasspacks, ive gone for a good hooker muffler which goes in tomorrow.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 4326

Joined: 30th Oct 2006

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

Location: Grafton
NSW, Australia

Mines a Lukey box. My mate had a no-brand box before the diff and a no-brand ressie after, f**k it droned like a C***.

 

_________________

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 139

Joined: 23rd Mar 2008

Ride: AU Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Mines a Lukey box. My mate had a no-brand box before the diff and a no-brand ressie after, f**k it droned like a C***.


I had that same set-up with my old eb 2.5" lukey exhaust. All noise when your hard on the fun pedal and a p***y cat when your cruising around. The auto seemed to have lower all-round revs than my au which is a manual.

Taking time to get my au exhaust to where I want it.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 2515

Joined: 27th Mar 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Rear resonator. I dont have any resonators, only a small single muffler box before the diff and I dont get any drone. I didnt even get any drone with it dumped straight out of the muffler before the diff.


Guess it comes down to what you are using, that was my experience from the stock 2 muffler/res system.

When I made up my new one on (12" glass pack and hooker aerochamber) it didn't drone when dumped at the diff, although was really loud in the cabin and had a better note after putting a tailpipe on.

Image

 

_________________

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 4326

Joined: 30th Oct 2006

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

Location: Grafton
NSW, Australia

I had mine dumped at the diff for a few days late last week, and it didnt drone either.

 

_________________

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 15

Joined: 14th Dec 2009

Ride: au/nu series 1 fairlane 6

Location: shepparton
VIC, Australia

I replaced the center muffler with 2 1/2 hooker aerochamber and went with a off the shelf 2 1/2 mandrel bent tail pipe , I love the sound not to loud but sounds great when you are on the gas .
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 24

Posts: 31

Joined: 21st Jan 2010

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Ford Ef Falcon

Location: Clermont
QLD, Australia

i had a 2.25 with only one muffler, dad cut the others out, spose to give bit better fuel economy, but made it sound like a tractor... i recommend just getting a 2.5, they are cheap off ebay and even cheaper off here.. much better the cutting mufflers out... i have extractors and 2.5 with one muffler, no drone and sounds alright for a 6....
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:27 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 35

Posts: 54

Joined: 3rd Mar 2010

Ride: EF Futura

Location: Bundaberg
QLD, Australia

if you feel like driving to bundaberg i have a 2.5'' system with single straight thru "turbo" muffler you can have for nothing, i cut the tailpipe of to remove but thats an easy fix.

 

_________________

A friend will bail you out of jail, a mate sits beside and says "oh s**t what have we done now"
Tip for beginners, the coppa doesnt think its funny when you ask him to put your hooning fine on your spers account.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 790

Joined: 18th Mar 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

maybe , like others have said, chop it and have a drive / listen, but a word of advice (sorry to sound like a dad, but WTF...) - when you DO listen, try and imagine you are a copper listening to it...would YOU defect it? I'd hate to see yet another thread on here next week along the lines of `f#@king cops picking on me coz I'm on P's..'

If you think it probably DOES sound a bit loud or droney, you can be 100% sure that the average cop will think even worse of it..

Oh, and final thought, just my own humble opinion, 6's and loud exhausts just don't mix...if you want a louder exhaust and you don't want everyone else to think you're a tool, bite the bullet and buy a V8...

 

_________________

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:03 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 54

Joined: 7th May 2010

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

Location: Mona Vale
NSW, Australia

all_torque wrote:
if you feel like driving to bundaberg i have a 2.5'' system with single straight thru "turbo" muffler you can have for nothing, i cut the tailpipe of to remove but thats an easy fix.


cheers mate... hmmm bundaberg is a trek... i could probably buy a cat back system with the money i'd spend in petrol lol. thanks anyway mate.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:43 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 139

Joined: 23rd Mar 2008

Ride: AU Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
if you want a louder exhaust and you don't want everyone else to think you're a tool, bite the bullet and buy a V8...


The kid is 17 and your recommending he gets a v8?

average cop sees everyday p plate six cyl with loud exhaust will pull him over if hes in a bad mood or doesnt like the driving style.

average cop sees p plate v8 with loud exhaust will pull over 9 times out of 10 unless they have something more important to do. Tearlejc im sure you know that its illegal for p platers to drive turbos or more than 6 cyl dont you? This is VIC and NSW for sure and I think QLD as well. Dunno bout other states.

its well known that on a modest budget the falcon six is a better car anyway.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:53 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 25

Posts: 54

Joined: 7th May 2010

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

Location: Mona Vale
NSW, Australia

rhys.c wrote:
tearlejc wrote:
if you want a louder exhaust and you don't want everyone else to think you're a tool, bite the bullet and buy a V8...


The kid is 17 and your recommending he gets a v8?

average cop sees everyday p plate six cyl with loud exhaust will pull him over if hes in a bad mood or doesnt like the driving style.

average cop sees p plate v8 with loud exhaust will pull over 9 times out of 10 unless they have something more important to do. Tearlejc im sure you know that its illegal for p platers to drive turbos or more than 6 cyl dont you? This is VIC and NSW for sure and I think QLD as well. Dunno bout other states.

its well known that on a modest budget the falcon six is a better car anyway.


bang on mate. :]
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 790

Joined: 18th Mar 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Jakel123 wrote:
rhys.c wrote:
tearlejc wrote:
if you want a louder exhaust and you don't want everyone else to think you're a tool, bite the bullet and buy a V8...


The kid is 17 and your recommending he gets a v8?

average cop sees everyday p plate six cyl with loud exhaust will pull him over if hes in a bad mood or doesnt like the driving style.

average cop sees p plate v8 with loud exhaust will pull over 9 times out of 10 unless they have something more important to do. Tearlejc im sure you know that its illegal for p platers to drive turbos or more than 6 cyl dont you? This is VIC and NSW for sure and I think QLD as well. Dunno bout other states.

its well known that on a modest budget the falcon six is a better car anyway.


bang on mate. :]


First off, I'm not saying a V8 is better or worse than a 6 - had many 6's myself. What I'm saying is 6's with loud exhausts generally don't sound good. If you want a 6, keep it quiet...but as I ALSO said, its just my opinion. On 6's I've owned I have modified exhausts with maybe V8 mufflers or several aftermarkets to improve flow and maybe give a slight sound but, in my opinion loud and 6 don't go together. My whole point in the first place is better to stay legal - don't go hacking bits off your car for no good reason, and I'll add to that, don't drive a V8 if you're not supposed to..

 

_________________

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: chopping mufflers
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 993

Joined: 26th Sep 2007

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

LOL P platers should be allowed to drive e series v8's (standard) They are buckets o s**t in stock form. Slower then the 6

 

_________________

ED Fairmont Barra 190rwkw 4.10 Gears 3500 Stall 1/4 to come

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:14 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names