Fordmods Logo

Cleanable Panel/pod Filter....any better then standard?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Cleanable Panel/pod Filter....any better then standard??
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I am due to change the air filter in the wagon, after reading though the various threads, and viewing many different opinions I am not sure if I should buy a standard panel filter, or one of the washable panels such as K&N, Air Hog etc. Taking into account air flow(is it any different?? or a lie?) and replacment cost.

Is is actually more viable to use these in panel form or mod up a pod housing?? I beleive egine bay heat would effect pod. Based on the experience of the filters u guys may have, or may have used- which way should I go??

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA fairmont GHIA

NSW, Australia

hey i just put a K&N panel filter on my EA Fairmont and it seems to feel a little bit more oomphy but not too noticably at all (could just be my head). for $90 it will last you the life of ur car. For a decent pod (K&N) it will cost u ~$110 then u still gotta make it functional without too much engine bay air gettin to it which will be a time waster unless u really need it!?
I dont know how much normal paper elements cost as this is the first time I've replaced it. I just think the K&N panel is not that much for a one off cost!.

5spd EA Fairmont GHIA, lowered Kings all round, 2.5" exhuast w/extractors, 3.45 LSD, Wade 1673 regrind cam, Alpine stuff inside

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Pod fit fine inside the airbox, and they add awesome induction noise, hence pod 4 me.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I know you have an EB but ive seen tests done on the EF falcon intake. The biggest restriction was the airbox outlet, the snorkle and the tubing from the airbox to the throttle body. The standard filter contributed to 1/16th of the total pressure loss.

But in saying that, im running a K&N pod filter which was $70 from Super Cheap cause ive modified the rest of the intake and there was nothing left to do. The K&N panel filter i had, i paid $130 from Super Cheap. Better off modifying a pod to fit inside the airbox....

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

cboz wrote:
Pod fit fine inside the airbox, and they add awesome induction noise, hence pod 4 me.

Has anybody made up a pod to fit in the airbox?? What sort of mods are needed? Possibly an entirely different air box/snorkle unit??

Also It is worth using mandrel bent steel tubing from air box to throttlebody?? Or is that too much wank factor?

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: V8 Falcon, Nissan Patrol

QLD, Australia

edfairmont4.0 has done it, and i will soon (when i can be stuffed lol) - just used the flexi pipe from the EL setup.

1993 Ford Fairmont EB II 5.0L V8 Wagon
1992 Nissan Patrol TI 4.2L Diesel 4x4 Wagon

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: AUIII XR6 HP

Power: 137 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Use my $35 intake mod with a k&n panel. All up $125 and i noticed it revs heaps better.

PACEMAKER 4480, SS H/F CAT, 2.5" REDBACK, INTAKE PIPING, K&N PANEL, PIONEER TV

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

It's really all in your head, I put a full intake system on mine, it doesn't feel any different to me.

Then again I thought when I got a trans cooler my car was quicker haha, but now I realise, it isn't.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I used a bit of PVC pipe to connect the pod to the air box outlet. BTW the Pod made sweet F/A difference, just sounds tuff. A combination of little things made a difference though, with a BA Falcon pipe from box to t body, Tickford snorkle, Pod and 4'' tube through the guard to the bumper.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

spend the $100 on a cold air intake and change/modify your intake pipe, there arent any real gains to be had with a filter...

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: AUIII XR6 HP

Power: 137 rwkw

NSW, Australia

FAST-XR wrote:
spend the $100 on a cold air intake and change/modify your intake pipe, there arent any real gains to be had with a filter...
I disagree. When i used to let the car drive at 3k in first and flatten it, it would squat down and take off. After doin the intake pipe from the back of the box and k&n i get wheelspin simply under acceleration now without slippin the clutch, which proves it did something. Like i said only minor though.

PACEMAKER 4480, SS H/F CAT, 2.5" REDBACK, INTAKE PIPING, K&N PANEL, PIONEER TV

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

FORD4EVA wrote:
FAST-XR wrote:
I disagree. When i used to let the car drive at 3k in first and flatten it, it would squat down and take off. After doin the intake pipe from the back of the box and k&n i get wheelspin simply under acceleration now without slippin the clutch, which proves it did something. Like i said only minor though.

Which is all that is needed sometimes, i decided i hated my EL, then i got a manual stuck into it!

Now it rocks (comparatively), im going to stick a pod filter into mine and one of those custom air intake pipes that someone else did a 'howto' on, that should get rid of the initial 'squat down, take off' lag that occurs, plus give a little more power, that with a new set of suspension, wash and interior carpet, wipe the dash and everything is hunky dorey. New car :)
Matt

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

I've bought a couple K&N's in my time, and I like the product. Have always noticed the gain I expect. I reckon it's a torque thing, you notice it can pull that slight bit more in a taller gear (3rd, 4th, 5th). And in the lower gears, 2nd has such a strong mid - top end pull. 3rd gear decides who wins a run, and 2nd will get you there quicker with the filter I feel.

I fitted mine at the same time as the XH snorkel, the 2 compliment each other, couldn't see the point in 1 or the other alone.

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]