Fordmods Logo

Cleaning 02 Sensors? 

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: Cleaning 02 Sensors?
Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

I just cleaned mine with carby cleaner and reset the ecu and its better, not sure which thing made it go better, the clean or the reset, nevertheless im buying a new one

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:28 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the o2 sensor wont have any effect on performance, its only there to adjust fuel in closed loop mode which is idle and light cruising, so only advantages are better idle and better fuel consumption when cruising ....

Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

So it was the reset that worked? It also starts quicker. Will replace it next week

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

I replaced the oxygen sensor on my EL on Friday...Got a VDO 3 wire sensor off ebay for $59 posted.
After I put it on the car I disconnected the battery to reset the codes as this is what I was told I should do. Been driving it around quite a bit since then and I've noticed it has a bit more low end power and the fuel economy seems to be better. Pretty happy with it so far.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

revcore wrote:
I replaced the oxygen sensor on my EL on Friday...Got a VDO 3 wire sensor off ebay for $59 posted.
After I put it on the car I disconnected the battery to reset the codes as this is what I was told I should do. Been driving it around quite a bit since then and I've noticed it has a bit more low end power and the fuel economy seems to be better. Pretty happy with it so far.

post the old one to EF_wanabe so he can polish it and play with it :lol: :lol:

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

The computer stores codes as history and current codes, meaning that if it's throws a code months ago and no one clears it it'll still be there. Best bet it to, before replacing anything, check and note the codes, clear them, drive it and recheck for codes, unless it's a very intermittent code it should point you in the right direction.
But just cos the code is at the sensor remember cause and effect. People forget to read what the ecu it telling you and just read what it says.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Late model stuff with freeze frame data, you shouldn't clear the codes until you are done with the freeze frame data, as clearing the codes also clears the freeze frame.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

We are talking el tho.
Slightly off topic anyone have/ used the coda diagnostic bench on can2 cars. Awesome bit of gear.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

What sort of car are we talking about? An E series?

There is the two test modes KOEO and KOER (Key On Engine Off - Key On Engine Running)

Memory codes only happen in KOEO tests and come out after the live codes, memory codes are erased by stopping the test midway through interrogating the EEC computer. Disconnecting the battery, maybe? But seems like a hard way of doing it as you'll lose all your clocks and CD player settings and all... Just stop the test midway and the codes are erased...

HEGO codes will not be memory codes as they only come out in a KOER test. The hego will always display a code unless it is warmed prior to testing. This is achieved by firstly having the engine at operating temp and then holding the rpm to 2000 for about a minute or two before testing, if this isn't done the HEGO physically isn't hot enough to read within tolerances and causes the too lean (I think?) error...

And I agree with Pakrat's cause and effect, this is a thousand times worse on a modern car, chances are the problem has nothing to do with the error code, the error code came out as a result of 3 modules down the canbus system...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Pakrat wrote:
We are talking el tho.
Slightly off topic anyone have/ used the coda diagnostic bench on can2 cars. Awesome bit of gear.

Yes we are, But don't pretend that BA on owners won't read it and that the basics to diagnostics carries through all cars.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

cheers... Read though it and must have missed that...

The ba stuff i don't have much to do with being a back yard hobbiest... Used the old man's ford ids unit a couple of times, but more fixing the ids unit rather than fixing a car with it...

But you're right, the bassis applies to diagnostics everywhere... Modern stuff they've managed to over complicate though...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3