Fordmods Logo

Cleaning Exhaust Valves 

 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

 
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 4849

Joined: 19th Feb 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

This is how clean I got mine using oven cleaner:

Image

 

_________________

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 46

Posts: 8590

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
i really would expect better then a post like that from a mod

Are you for real?
A better post than that from a mod! A mod or not, it makes no difference so i'd like you to explain that one.

How many engines have you built? I've lost count on how many i've built!

When it's something i have seen with my own eyes more than once, no amount of street machine reading experts can tell me any different.
I rarely even look in the 6 cyl forum, and guys like you are the reason for that.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Walker wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
i really would expect better then a post like that from a mod

Are you for real?
A better post than that from a mod! A mod or not, it makes no difference so i'd like you to explain that one.

How many engines have you built? I've lost count on how many i've built!

When it's something i have seen with my own eyes more than once, no amount of street machine reading experts can tell me any different.
I rarely even look in the 6 cyl forum, and guys like you are the reason for that.


ok i'll explain it then, most of the newer and less knowlegable people tend to look up to mods and beleive what they with out question.


built plenty of engines. never buy street machine mag at all. be a mechanic i tend to learn hands on when it comes to cars.
like i said i've done hundreds of headgasket jobs/head replacment jobs and have never had a problem with an engine if the tops of the pistons have been cleaned or not.

so you dont look in the 6 cyl section because because people like me
(qualifed mechanic with a number of years in the job who have had plenty of expirience with the subject) put forward thier opinion.

if you can explain how removing carbon from a part of a piston that never comes in contact with anything can cause oil consumption i'll stand corrected.

cleaning the top of a piston cannot effect ringseal

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:14 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 46

Posts: 8590

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

If you've had that much experience and never heard of this then your word means s**t to me mate, i wouldn't let you tune my lawn mower!

That's my experience and my opinion, people can believe what they want to believe whether it's from a mod or not.
I mentioned this to a mate tonight who's in the automotive industry, he asked me if you were on drugs, i said yes i think he is!

Mate, i have never abused you, and i haven't liked you from the day you came here, that comes from a cpl of other mods aswell (Yes you've been a topic more than once in our forum), as much as i want to abuse you i'm not going too.

If i told you what i really thought of you then i'd have to ban myself.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:05 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 887

Joined: 8th Aug 2006

Ride: Falcon

Location: Central Highlands
QLD, Australia

Walker wrote:
If you've had that much experience and never heard of this then your word means s**t to me mate, i wouldn't let you tune my lawn mower!

That's my experience and my opinion, people can believe what they want to believe whether it's from a mod or not.
I mentioned this to a mate tonight who's in the automotive industry, he asked me if you were on drugs, i said yes i think he is!

Mate, i have never abused you, and i haven't liked you from the day you came here, that comes from a cpl of other mods aswell (Yes you've been a topic more than once in our forum), as much as i want to abuse you i'm not going too.

If i told you what i really thought of you then i'd have to ban myself.


Hey Walker are you talking about carbon build up on the outer edges of the piston head, which can help return oil down the piston bore sleeve. In effect can work like having another ring on the piston to reduce oil consumption??


Cheers....

 

_________________

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 5540

Joined: 31st Oct 2005

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NC II Fairlane

Location: morayfield
QLD, Australia

i just picked up some caustic soda to clean mine.. ill let you all know how it goes

 

_________________

Member #7418
KB Laser White lightning Turbo - B6T
Turbo NC II Fairlane Ghia
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/my-new-nc-ii-fairlane-dial-up-warning-t50380.html

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 7029

Joined: 18th Apr 2005

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Build up of carbon on the edge is what Walker is talking about, its like glaze around the vertical side of the piston. above the top compression ring & chamfer edge of the piston. even the top section of the piston bore is expose to carbon & fuel..............................

 

_________________

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:18 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

well perhaps he should have said that instead. would have saved him getting so upset about it that he needed to talk to his freind and discuss my suposed drug useage


but it's still make no sence as to why it would be mentioned concidering how hord it would be to clean the section of piston from the top ring up while the piston is still in the bore. so one could only take his commentto mean the top face of the piston, wich if you take a gasket scrapper and some compressed air and remove the carbom you will not remove any carbon that would come into contact with the bore

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 46

Posts: 8590

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Exactly what Slick said, i would have thought it was obvious when i said it breaks the seal.... Cleaning the top in the centre is ok.

I was at my mates workshop a few years back and he had his apprentice cleaning the deck on a 4.1 XC, i walked past and seen him cleaning the pistons (1 was polished), i told my mate and he said f**k, he ran over and told him to stop and told him to never clean them.

I honestly thought this was just well known, i was told by a cpl of guys as a young bloke, and i just pass it on.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 1807

Joined: 6th Feb 2006

Location: CENTRAL
VIC, Australia

same here walker, just a simple rule of engine repair i thought.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 7029

Joined: 18th Apr 2005

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Yeah, when you start removing s**t from a tired engine you'll bound to cause harm then good.

that varnish like carbon build-up expands when the engine's at operating temp. you'll notice it on some cars when you start up. blue haze then goes clear when its warm. most of the time we assume its warn valve guides or something else.

 

_________________

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Walker wrote:
Exactly what Slick said, i would have thought it was obvious when i said it breaks the seal.... Cleaning the top in the centre is ok.

I was at my mates workshop a few years back and he had his apprentice cleaning the deck on a 4.1 XC, i walked past and seen him cleaning the pistons (1 was polished), i told my mate and he said f**k, he ran over and told him to stop and told him to never clean them.

I honestly thought this was just well known, i was told by a cpl of guys as a young bloke, and i just pass it on.



ok so i read your comment wrongly. but surely you would have realised this by the wording of my posts and this whole thing could have been avoided? with a simple explination along the lines of what slick said.

i did ask a few time for the explination one was answered with i must be drugs the others not answered at all. seems as though you intened to let the argument happen and at no point wanted a calm resolve to it.

also did you ever see me in in flaming when it was permenant forum? so why add me to the flamming group unless you realy wanted a fight?
you wont see me there,

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Posts: 197

Joined: 8th Nov 2004

Ride: FG-XR6 EL EA '24 Dodge

Location: Tamworth
NSW, Australia

When I was a boy the recommended procedure was to leave 1/4" of the carbon around the edge. The reason was that when you try and clean right to the edge some of the debris falls down the gap between piston and bore and when you get it started up it acts as an abrasive and stuffs the bore/ring seal and hence blows smoke.

 

_________________

As Sigfried once said "Nein Nein Ninty Nine"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 5540

Joined: 31st Oct 2005

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NC II Fairlane

Location: morayfield
QLD, Australia

i didnt clean mine... the more carbon there the more compression AHAHAHAHAHA

 

_________________

Member #7418
KB Laser White lightning Turbo - B6T
Turbo NC II Fairlane Ghia
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/my-new-nc-ii-fairlane-dial-up-warning-t50380.html

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 34 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:41 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names