Clock spring/ column question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Clock spring/ column question
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

had to change the column on my Ef fairmont. I have installed the column into the shaft correct, but now the replacement clock spring and the column is sitting at about 3pm instead of 12....... If it take the column out and rotate it to suit the steering wheel the shaft wont fit correctly and if I rotate the steering wheel to be sitting straight the tyres will be out.
Is it as simple as taking the clock spring out and reinstalling it so it sits correctly? If so I have searched my manual on cd and cannot find anything about the clock spring and have never done anything to one, so advise would be golden people. I need the car done so my Wife can take our 7 year old to school tomorrow, so time is getting to be my enemy. I have read the info on the front of the clock spring, but I do not know what I am doing or what metal lock needs to be depressed to rotate it. As soon as I know how to do it I will be fine, just need to know or what else needs to be done to fix the problem. The column is a second hand one that I have only changed the barrel and thats it

Post subject: Re: Clock spring/ column question
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

sounds like your steering wheel is out. you willl have to remove it and reinstall it straight. it sits on a square drive instead of a spline.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ended up removing the yoke at the base of the column and resitting it so the steering wheel is straight. Worked, but I think I am out by 1 or 2 teeth as the steering wheel is just a tad to the right when driving straight.
Clock, well I must admit when it said spring behind it I imagined removing it and jesus spring fly everywhere..... but it was easy. Installed my old stalks as the repacement column ones were f**k.
Broke a bolt on the metal plate at the base of the column ( sits against the firewall), its not too bad but I removed my old one and have kept it spare for another day. When I went to resit the yoke on the new column the f**k thing dropped all the way down and would not come back. I ended up doing grinder surgery and got the old columns off and did a swap. Wokrd and did not damage the threat on the shaft, very impressed.
There is 2 different lengths on either side of the column yoke, the larger side goes to the column.. right? It sat in and it all works but I had to drive the join on the rack side back about half a cm as it was hitting the top of the thread... that got me worried

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:24 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: el fairmont

QLD, Australia

the instructions for the clock spring are written on the front of it spring ,i must admit i was thinking similar things springs flying out the first time i took one off ,but quite simple really

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah me too. I read the instructions but I didnt know if when you pulled it off it would fall apart or not. Was the only good one I had so just was worried I would f**k it.
Cheers mate

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]