Cluster Dials that go over 6000rpm for EL XR6 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Cluster Dials that go over 6000rpm for EL XR6
Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:46 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL FORD FALCON XR6

Power: 145 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hey guys. I was thinking of taking the rev limiter off, but when i do that then the revs will go past the 6000rpm and on my EL thats where they finish. I have seen that the BA ones go up to 7000, but was wondering if I can fit the dials from the BA cluster, or maybe some other car. Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Cluster Dials that go over 6000rpm for EL XR6
Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

QLD, Australia

The rev limiter is sort of there for a reason. Being an XR6 that should be at about 5750 rpm. Please note that the 4l really doesn't make much more power after 4500-5000 rpm anyway. Not only that, they are not really designed to be a high revving engine.

You may want to look at doing some serious work on your engine if you want it to rev higher than 6 safely.

And in regards to the cluster, you most probably wont get another to fit, as the signal is sent to the cluster and the dial will move the distance it is told to.

99 AU Fairlane Ghia V8 Black Leather, 19" ANZ 5+5's with 245/35 rubber
Full sound system. Extractors, Dual 2.25" exhaust.
Lowered on Tickford XR8 springs and shocks!!

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

:shock:

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:59 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

I have just finished doing this exact thing you are asking about, there are a few options. You can get the standard tach to rev to 6500 if you trim about 5 - 10mm off the needle and get the limiter reset you just need to add a line to the dash facia. DODGIE!!!!!!

Or a good speedo remanufacturer can vit a different VDO movement into your exixting cluster, costing abut $500 with parts and labour. But then you need to either get a custom dial face printed or try and fit the one from the gauge that was installed. That is alot of work due to the fact that it needs to be exact and you will need to redo the whole dash facia if you want it to match. You don't need to put any signal correctors in the circuite you just need to use a tach that is can read the 6cly batch fire signal. The remanufacturer will be able to tell you more about that it is a bit technical.

Stick a monster tach on your dash or pillar and look like a real tool!!!!!! :roll:

Or what i decided to do is a full custom dash using all autometer gauges. You can use the black surround off you standard cluster without the white back on it removed, the bit with all you stock movements and circuite boards in it, to put a flat panel in to mount the autometer gauges to. You will need to remove the clear front cover aswell because the gauges will hit it. Doing this leaves you just enough room to fit a 3 3/8" indash tach/speedo, it will fitt in with about 3mm of clearance behind it. The biggest problem with doing this is that you will loose all of you gauges so you need to replace them all. I have a 3 3/8" tach and speedo, 2 1/4" A/F gauge, Oil PSI, Oil Temp and Water Temp and a Progessive Shift light fitted in my dash cluster now. I also made a fiberglass gauge pod in front of my gear stick with the fuel and N2O PSI gauge. This cost me just over $2000 to do and i got the gauges at Wholesale price. It is not a really hard job but it is time consuming and requires alot of patiens to do the wiring!

You might want to check you modifaction laws for your stste too because in QLD the aftermarket speedo needs to be engineered not sure about the tach?

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Just get a texta and draw extra lines on it :lol:

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

I don't know why you'd want to rev a Falcon that hard anyway. I never take my cars up to the factory redline let alone 6000rpm+. Falcon motors are more about midrange power. They're not peaky Hondas.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

The BA clusters won't work with an EL (or any pre B series), i looked into it myself at one point. The B series clusters get their information a different way so they aren't interchangeable.

I can see through wooden doors.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:42 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

I wouldn't get rid of the limiter, but if you get a J3 chip, you can get the limiter upped. After i finish rebuilding my engine with lighter pistons and get it balanced, then get a CMS 3+3 setup, Joe reckons you could up the limiter around 1000rpm. I was looking at this site the other day and they sell new dash faces,if you look at the 2nd link, near the end of the page, there's a dash that they extend to 8000 rpm, then its $70 to get it re calibrated to suit. Hope this helps

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WHITE-DIALS-Ford ... 1|294%3A50

http://members.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI ... in_central

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:44 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I can see you rnext thread being either, Broken drive shaft, OR Motor has s**t itself and looking for a replacement.

I have seen the effects of rev limiter removal, either Destroying the drive shaft and everything attached to it, or someting in the motor letting go, usually rods.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Try modifying a Jaycar speedo corrector to "slip" the dial proportionately backwards. Then print a new Fascia/Get one done by guys on here.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL FORD FALCON XR6

Power: 145 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I already have a J3 chip and the RPMs have already been upped by 500, so no the redline starts at 6000rpm, I havent taken limiter off, just finding out all the stuff that is involved if i was gonna do it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]