Fordmods Logo

CMS stage 2 cams 

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: CMS stage 2 cams
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Thanks to yobboford for letting us try out one of our new cams & the results was defernalty inpressive.....the KW only inproved a little but the torque & the extent of the power rage was a huge improvement, he will also back this up with his next run at wsid & I will ask him to post his before & after times, I will ask also to repost his dyno run on this thread as well.
Previous mods was exhaust & CAI only AUTO

This cam will be for sale $350.00 (exchange regrinde) with a vernier gear.

I have also spoken to Mark from ITS Performance to try one of my other cams & get his feed back as well.

Thanks

Joe CMS

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

NSW, Australia

AUXR8 2 wrote:
Thanks to yobboford for letting us try out one of our new cams & the results was defernalty inpressive.....the KW only inproved a little but the torque & the extent of the power rage was a huge improvement, he will also back this up with his next run at wsid & I will ask him to post his before & after times, I will ask also to repost his dyno run on this thread as well.
Previous mods was exhaust & CAI only AUTO

This cam will be for sale $350.00 (exchange regrinde) with a vernier gear.

I have also spoken to Mark from ITS Performance to try one of my other cams & get his feed back as well.

Thanks

Joe CMS
Im pretty sure yobboford's car's a manual... but apart from that, results should be ineteresting to see.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 80 series cruiser

NSW, Australia

first many thanks to joe at CMS for asking to try the cam in my car.
although joe has said auto in the post above my car is actually manual.

Previous mods: pacemaker extractors, std cat, 2.5" exhaust with 2 mufflers, thermo fans and xg snorkel. 3.27 diff ratio, std filter and 296,000 kms.

first run on the dyno resulted in 161.5HP, 120.4KW @ 154kph in 4th gear.

i have run before at wsid and have done a 15.7 1/4 mile, i will run again hopefully within the next month.

Then the cam was installed with many thanx to dave(mre40l), tony and joe, with no real hiccups and fired up first kick, we let it idle for a while to bleed the lifters and then went for a quick run around the block before putting it back on the dyno again.

second run on the dyno saw an increase to 172.5HP, 128.7KW @ 167kph again in 4th gear.

max torque went from 224nm @ 111kph up to 232nm @ 131kph, at the same speed (131kph) with the original cam the new cam made around 25nm more, very noticable on the street.

real world (on the street): i noticed straight away the difference under light throttle excelleration, definetly pulls stronger when just driving normal. this should equate to an actual saving in fuel if not driving flat out.
when i nail it now it definetly pulls much stronger through the midrange and has moved the power further up the rev range, where it used to taper off before around 5000rpm it is still pulling all the way to 5600-5800rpm now. the idle is slightly lumpy but nothing you would really notice and the only issue i have had so far is i am having trouble with the idle speed controler dealing with the idle for the moment, but a quick reset of the base idle has improved it already and with a bit more mucking around im sure it will be sweet.

overall i am happy with the improvement and would recommend this cam to anyone looking for the next step from exhaust and cai without wanting to go wild, std ecu and injectors and your mrs can still drive it to the shops without whinging about it being a pig and keep good economy.

Attachments:
DSC00231.JPG
DSC00231.JPG [ 145.79 KiB | Viewed 190 times ]

Thanks to Crescent Motors, Liverpool.
Call Joe on (02) 9600 6229.

I dont own a Landcruiser, it's a Maverick recovery vehicle!!!!

Post subject: CMS cam
Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

My extreeme apoligy for not thanking Dave enough..... with out your help we would'nt had it done on time, as I was busy else where, again many thanks Dave .......also I ran so many cars on Sunday that I forgot who had Auto's & Who had Manual's........... it gets a bit that way when you get older !

Cheers

Joe.................CMS

Post subject: Re: CMS cam
Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

AUXR8 2 wrote:
it gets a bit that way when you get older !

come on joe, dont be too harsh on yourself, you dont look a day over 50 :D

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

well after a little investigating we have found that when we put the car back on the dyno it was running ignition timing at 2 degrees after tdc, so we have reset it at 14 deg before tdc and it feels better again. this saturday we will spend a little more time on it and try and unleash the full potential of the CMS stage 2 cam.

after we have played with it some more we are going to organise to get another run on the same dyno and repost the results, stay tuned.

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

yobboford wrote:
well after a little investigating we have found that when we put the car back on the dyno it was running ignition timing at 2 degrees after tdc, so we have reset it at 14 deg before tdc and it feels better again. this saturday we will spend a little more time on it and try and unleash the full potential of the CMS stage 2 cam.

after we have played with it some more we are going to organise to get another run on the same dyno and repost the results, stay tuned.

And what results / rwkw do you hope to get? ..

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i think 135rwkw isnt out of the question

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

well joe had another play around with my car today and we ended up getting a best run of 134rwkw. i will post a photo of the dyno sheet some time tomorrow.

this run was on joes dyno, not the one used last sunday, but, we will be running it up on the same dyno again one day this week with anyluck.

on the dyno day we made 128.7 and when we started today we ran it up on joes and recorded a result of 127, pretty close although we had advanced the ign timing in between, so today saw a 7kw increase in power and a 10nm increase in torque.

it feels a little better again on the street but the true test will be at wsid one wednesday night soon. stay tuned.....

p.s. had a run with a vr 5ltr and beat him, so im already happy, lol

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ok, the wagon was re-dyno'd today on the exact same dyno that was used on the sydney dyno day, with tempreture correction, as used on the day, and remember this dyno is owned by the manurfacturer and is claimed to be callebrated, i am only stating all this at the start of this post to clear up any confusion or possibility of people fudging the readings, and at the end of the day the most important thing is the comparison between the std cam and the CMS stage 2 cam in the run below, this is the best possible comparison as it was done on the same dyno, so, even if you dont believe the actual fiqure quoted there is no question of the improvement the cam made, sorry to ramble on but at the moment there is a lot of debate over dyno's and dyno results, please, if you choose to not believe the power quoted just look at the improvement.

Firstly a big thanx to Joe at Crescent for the time and effort put in to this car, even though this is a trail for his cam and advertisment for him joe didnt have to go the extra yards of staying back on a saturday to fix my brakes and a few other issues, cheers again.

compared to the first run after the cam was installed we have redailed in the cam to retard it a little from where it first was installed, and put a heap more ignition timing into it (still not pigning though).

in all with only pacemaker extractors, std cat, 2.5" exhaust, xh snorkel and 297,000kms on it, std computer and injectors, ngk spark plugs with bosch leads and thats about it we got 148.4rwkw, an improvement of 28rwkw over the std cam. just over a 23% increase in power.

to say im pleased is a bit of an understatement, im stoked. it feels so much better on the street and i cant wait to see what time it gets on the 1/4 now, i will try and get to wsid within the next few weeks.

cheers Rob.

Attachments:
DSC00253.JPG
DSC00253.JPG [ 153.46 KiB | Viewed 159 times ]

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:36 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

so esentially all that was done to the car was dial in the cam a little bit and advance the timing and this gave you an extra 20kw over the inital dyno done on the sunday afternoon with the new cam installed pulling 128kw's?

somethin fishy here?

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:38 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

kinda puts dyno dynamic results in perspective as well.. maybe they are more reliable than previously suggested.. if this result is true then I know of some DD results that are spot on with this as well

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I believe it, and that is a bloody awesome result. Anything else would just be speculation.. No reason to criticise dynos or anything else when you may or may not have your own facts straight.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:03 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

more so suggesting that other dyno runs may have also been compromised as well..

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:08 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

yobboford wrote:

dc_todd wrote:
so esentially all that was done to the car was dial in the cam a little bit and advance the timing and this gave you an extra 20kw over the inital dyno done on the sunday afternoon with the new cam installed pulling 128kw's?

somethin fishy here?

If it was poorly setup then sure the power figures could've been way off. But as Rob has said, his before, after install, and after tweaking runs have been on the same dyno, numbers aside, it's the differences that's impressive (and he's getting more than before).

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next