Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Coil exploding??? Bang/crackle plume of smoke when cranking
Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Pakrat wrote:
ILLaViTaR wrote:
Think it's AU engine time, fiddling with the dizzy again it struggled to slot in so I tapped it with a mallet, it didn't sit flush so pulled it out and noticed it didn't clear the manifold this time for some reason, that's because the whole hexagonal shaft/rod thing the dizzy slots into had seized itself to the dizzy!!!! I'm trying to unseize it at the moment (might have to remove the entire manifold for it to clear lol). Once I've managed to unseize it, will it just slot back into the block or has it broken off something requiring an engine out repair?

And by the way, who designed the ignition system on these cars? Was he an amputee or something? I don't think my hands have much skin left on them.

Pretty sure ford designed the system. And it's not hard if you infact do everything properly.

No need to be a smart a***, and don't talk to me about doing things properly lol. I read some misinformation on here (tap it with a mallet if it doesn't slot in). I don't choose to do the job half a*** like some. I do it as well as I can with the knowledge I have, and seeing as I'm putting in an au motor soon I'm willing to take risks this 400 000k motor. But I'm not willing to take risks with my power steering rack bolts.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Anyway I think my backfire/pop isn't related to any of this. When I first took everything off I noticed the rocker cover breather hose was blown off the gas mixer. It backfires every time I put it back on, I forgot to put it on before and that's why it didn't backfire. As for the timing it seems to want to kick over anywhere within a 40 degree area I can't get it to fire up, it's so close to kicking over just trail and error I guess, is the timing/dizzy cap specific to adjustments of say around 1mm or should the care fire up within a centermeter space of so of being correct?

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:23 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

does it run on petrol at all??

the back firing and blowing hoses off ect is because gas is very fussy with the ignition, bad ignition timing or out of sync spark will ignite the gas in the manifold causing intake backfire...

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
does it run on petrol at all??

the back firing and blowing hoses off ect is because gas is very fussy with the ignition, bad ignition timing or out of sync spark will ignite the gas in the manifold causing intake backfire...

Hasn't ran on fuel for 2 years (stuffed fuel pump), from memory that hose might have always backfired the moment I put it on. If I crank the car with the hose still disconnected it doesn't backfire. If I connect it, it does. I'm pretty sure it's always done this, before I even touched the ignition system. I've worked on the car around 3-4 times over the last year and that hose has been hanging there loose every time, I think I just stopped putting it back on because it backfired the moment I did. I think my gas setup on my old ED didn't use this hose (was left loose) but had a rubber stopper over the connector on the mixer.

EDIT: All that backfiring crap is a completely separate issue I'm having with that gas hose I'm an idiot and should've just left it off (even though that doesn't sound safe it's always ran like this, will be taking it to a mechanic to get the lpg tuned soon anyway). I can get it firing anywhere within like 40 degrees of movement (more than the space between points on the dizzy cap/misfiring) seems to run slightly better with the dizzy turned as anti clockwise as possible (tfi slamming into throttle body). It's as though it's 180 degrees out, but it's not 100%. Anyway it's all over the place atm so I'm going to redo it all now I've eliminated the backfire. Starting with the oil shaft that's not sitting flush.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2