Fordmods Logo

COLD AIR INTAKE MANIFOLD INSULATOR FOR FORD EF-BF 6 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Fiend - Do you need to remove all of the brackets that support the intake manifold with this as it would change the position of the manifold?

That would suck wouldnt it?

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well sorry for the confusion, i go back to my original statement and say that the spacer in between the two halves is a waste of time because the hottest part of the manifold is bolted to the head and having a boiling hot lower half will cancel out any cooling/heat soak effect that the top half is experiencing.
common sense.
The guy who is making the manifold spacer that spaces the head away from the manifold has got the right idea :D

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

gliedans wrote:
Fiend - Do you need to remove all of the brackets that support the intake manifold with this as it would change the position of the manifold?

That would suck wouldnt it?

Hahahahah -- Yes, it would suck, and yes you would have to do it, otherwise you'd be pulling the BBM down at the rear slightly, which means you'd never get a 100% guaranteed seal.

And when you say "all the brackets" I take it that you've noticed that a number of them actually come from the manifold side of the gasket anyway? The ones completely underneath would have to have a spacer put in. The standard Ford gasket is 2mm fat where it has been compressed between the head and the manifold. Using an 8mm substrate that compresses sweet F.A the difference would be 5.5 mm. You would therefore be encouraged to add 5 or 6 mm spacers to the engine block side of any supporting bracket that does not end on the manifold itself.

GreenusCarus wrote:
The guy who is making the manifold spacer that spaces the head away from the manifold has got the right idea :o

Hope so!!!
Just hope other people want a few, otherwise it's a complete waste of time. My own car still has its left hand side missing and the missus is trying to talk me into doing something without a 4 litre in the front.

Rank.

I have seen a EF Gli 5 speed manual for sale here for $1500. Now, maybe this could convince me to leave the wagons and start doing up a sedan. Then again, maybe not... ;)

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

fiend wrote:

I have seen a EF Gli 5 speed manual for sale here for $1500. Now, maybe this could convince me to leave the wagons and start doing up a sedan.

hmm 5 speed EF.... good starting base

alot more choice in aftermarket cams without ECU mods, nice gearing.... plus saves you doing a T5 conversion.... i'd say go for it!!!

Sheilas dont know jack about cars anyway.... apart from the enthusiasts of course :wink:

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

About the cam mods... I am in an EF now with an Auto. I take it the 5 speed ECU handles cam mods some how? Crikey d**k --- it is time this part of the conversation was dragged back to somewhere more relevant...

-==[ http://www.fordmods.com/forums/post916153.html#916153 ]==-

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:58 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: XR6 XH Ute

VIC, Australia

What are you planning on making those out of fiend?

I think mace engineering is onto something with this. Aluminium is a great conductor of heat and if you can create a barrier to slow the soak there will be an improvement.

Forget dynos before and after by making the runners longer you may even loose a bit of hp but make up for it in the seat of your pants

Green car- i see your point with the lower half still being hot but the nature of the bbm sees the air staying in the top half longer. It will also keep the tb cooler and for those with metal intake pipes, will be cooler also.

Ben

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Hi Ben. It's a Phenolic mat which is EXACTLY what is supplied to the NZV8 and Supercars. 8mm thick and blocks a whole heap of heat. I agree the top of the BBM has air for longer, I feel that chopping the BBM in half isn't doing the "cold as possible" theory justice. I am only adding 5mm to the air path (a standard Ford gasket is 2mm compressed a little) and reducing heat to 100% of the BBM, not just top half. The butterflies and injectors sit in the bottom half by the way. Injectors soak heat, as does the moving butterflies and components that then bounce the air back up into the cold bit, for a little while before it comes back down into the hot part where hot injectors feed the mix. Hmmmmmm...

MACE do produce a half option although theirs is 15mm or something. You can get up to 3 inch thick made if you bloody like!! Expensive sheet of material mind you.... 8mm seems about right for the heat transfer and the TB - chamber path length. It is only adding 5mm and means your manifold sits in almost the same position for the induction ducting.

I started investigating what was available ages back and couldn't find anything. Since then FORDMODERS have shown MACE's product on E-Bay to me and I just don't think it's worth $150 when you could spend that and get the whole BBM isolated...

Also - There is a company (proper company that helps make 9 sec quarter mile imports and the like) that also supplies to public.

I only found them by chance as the poeple I am buying the Phenolic sheets from asked what I was using it for as I wanted to know how it reacted to petrol. They said "it works fine --- XXXXXX uses it for all their racecars and XXXXXX2 use it. Since they no longer manufacture in NZ, you're okay knowing this..."

The company XXXXXXX2 actually makes ALL their products of this type to replace the gasket at the head - not half a BBM. They make Nissan I6, Ford I6 (BF or newer) versions which they sell for quite a reasonable price, along with all the boost guages, etc etc etc. In their product marketing they say it'll work fine with your big turbo or supercharger too.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/post916260.html#916260

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

The RB-30 boys (vl's, R31 skylines have been using these spacers for years now). If you do a search they have gained power on the RB-30 engine anyway on the dyno. They run a similar split manifold with a top and bottom section as the ford BBM except without the dual runners.

Cheers////

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2