Fordmods Logo

commercial airbox for behind headlight? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: commercial airbox for behind headlight?
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I recently read a thread where there were custom airbox's shown, they were made of plastic or some kind of fibreglass and fitted EA-ED, AU and BA models. They replaced the std airbox and drew air from behind the headlight, and were to suit a pod. The thread was locked due to commercial selling. I would like to PM the person making them?

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Re read the locked thread. you should see a radio button under his post.

Down here VVVVVVVVVV

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I looked for the thread again but couldn't find it.

I don't think it matters though. I had another look at the car today and was reminded that the headlight actually has a rubber seal around it. Not much air would get behind the EA/EB/ED headlight from the front, perhaps only a small amount through a gap above the chassis rail.

To me it seems that with the aforementioned setup most of the air would get sucked up from the holes in the guard and from behind the blinker, so the air would come from this region, which would include some water and dust/dirt/mud spray from the wheel as well. So the air would be 'cool', but not pressurised.

So my thinking is a free flowing snorkel setup is actually superior, gaining cool as well as pressurised air. That's not to say there aren't other ways of getting a good result.

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Thats because the MODS deleted the thread! LOL

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Slick wrote:
Thats because the MODS deleted the thread! LOL

I figured that was possible, that's why i created this thread!

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
So the air would be 'cool', but not pressurised.

So my thinking is a free flowing snorkel setup is actually superior, gaining cool as well as pressurised air. That's not to say there aren't other ways of getting a good result.

its not going to be pressurised with the larger snorkle and box, if anything it will be negatively pressurised (read vaccuum) at revs. take off your intake system and place your hand 6 inches from the tb and give a yank on the throttle cable, it will damn near suck your hand into the tb! be carefull though I almost lost a finger testing how much vacuum these things have!!! lol.

even a bigger snorkle wont keep up with the demand of a 4l 6 at revs.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

More Grunt wrote:
relaxed_diplomacy wrote:

its not going to be pressurised with the larger snorkle and box, if anything it will be negatively pressurised (read vaccuum) at revs. take off your intake system and place your hand 6 inches from the tb and give a yank on the throttle cable, it will damn near suck your hand into the tb! be carefull though I almost lost a finger testing how much vacuum these things have!!! lol.

I'm glad you mentioned that, because i've been thinking again that i may just fit my mixer to the bbm and then a pod to that. I like the simplicity, reduced cost, enhanced accessibility to other engine components, and enhanced protection from water ingress. I figure if there are any power and/or economy gains from having less restriction they would probably be undermined by the hotter air.

A clincher for me might be how loud the pod is at normal road speeds. I don't care much about the noise from 0 to 60km/h, it's after that that i don't want to hear it, as that's where i do 99% of my driving, i'm in the country. Why should a pod be louder than a pancake filter anyway?

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
More Grunt wrote:
relaxed_diplomacy wrote:

I'm glad you mentioned that, because i've been thinking again that i may just fit my mixer to the bbm and then a pod to that. I like the simplicity, reduced cost, enhanced accessibility to other engine components, and enhanced protection from water ingress. I figure if there are any power and/or economy gains from having less restriction they would probably be undermined by the hotter air.

A clincher for me might be how loud the pod is at normal road speeds. I don't care much about the noise from 0 to 60km/h, it's after that that i don't want to hear it, as that's where i do 99% of my driving, i'm in the country. Why should a pod be louder than a pancake filter anyway?

1) unboxed pod is illegal due to the increase in emissions when the engine bay gets warm.

2) noise is fine (at least in the box) and it rises with rpm. obviously doing 2k rpm on the freeway I dont hear a thing outa mine.

3) you will loose torque going straight off the throttle body, when mine was on dyno we ran it with then without intake system on and lost about 7-10 nms worth at the treads with straight tb. gained about 10 rwkw though, but they are peak numbers, not worth loosing 7 nm all across the range for a brief hit of 10 kw.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Stepping back for a moment . . .

More Grunt wrote:
relaxed_diplomacy wrote:

Maybe the point here should be that a slightly pressurised snorkel has worse airflow than a non-pressurised airbox. I'm not sure that it's true though. I hadn't thought of this before.

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

More Grunt wrote:
1) unboxed pod is illegal due to the increase in emissions when the engine bay gets warm.

This is the first slightly meaningful reason i have heard why unboxed pods are illegal. But even then a box doesn't necessarily free the intake of warmed air. Plus there are many older cars on the road that suck warmed engine bay air.

Quote:
2) noise is fine (at least in the box) and it rises with rpm. obviously doing 2k rpm on the freeway I dont hear a thing outa mine.

Would you hear it at highway speeds if there wasn't a box?

Quote:
3) you will loose torque going straight off the throttle body, when mine was on dyno we ran it with then without intake system on and lost about 7-10 nms worth at the treads with straight tb. gained about 10 rwkw though, but they are peak numbers, not worth loosing 7 nm all across the range for a brief hit of 10 kw.

It's good to see some figures, but did you have big powerful fans blowing air through the engine bay? If not the figures are meaningless.

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
This is the first slightly meaningful reason i have heard why unboxed pods are illegal. But even then a box doesn't necessarily free the intake of warmed air. Plus there are many older cars on the road that suck warmed engine bay air.

thats because they are before modern emisions laws. same as old cars that were made before seatbelts were mandatory, they dont apply because of the time they were built.

Quote:
Would you hear it at highway speeds if there wasn't a box?

I dont think so, at 2k rpm there not a lot of suction. its above 3k that i start to hear mine, so maybe 2.5k you would hear one badly enough for it to be annoying.

Quote:
It's good to see some figures, but did you have big powerful fans blowing air through the engine bay? If not the figures are meaningless.

Im not sure what you are getting at, you would need boeing turbofans blowing into an engine bay to give the air enough speed to increase power meaningfully. my point was that having induction piping from the airbox to the tb gives a boost to torque levels as it increases air velocity as it runs through the tube. the longer the tube the more the torque gain, as the vaccuum from the tb has more time to "work" on the air mass. higher air mass velocity means greater low rpm cylinder fill, hence more torque. the downside is a restriction at high rpm, which is the reason for more kw with just bare throttle body. This point was in response to your idea to play the pod straight off the tb. You will have more top end, but loose a lot down under 3500 rpm.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Quote:

Quote:
Im not sure what you are getting at, you would need boeing turbofans blowing into an engine bay to give the air enough speed to increase power meaningfully. my point was that having induction piping from the airbox to the tb gives a boost to torque levels as it increases air velocity as it runs through the tube. the longer the tube the more the torque gain, as the vaccuum from the tb has more time to "work" on the air mass. higher air mass velocity means greater low rpm cylinder fill, hence more torque. the downside is a restriction at high rpm, which is the reason for more kw with just bare throttle body. This point was in response to your idea to play the pod straight off the tb. You will have more top end, but loose a lot down under 3500 rpm.

I meant unless you used big powerful fans your in-engine-bay intake would have been receiving extra warmed air, making your dyno comparison figures meaningless, due to the lower density and higher temp of the air.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
I meant unless you used big powerful fans your in-engine-bay intake would have been receiving extra warmed air, making your dyno comparison figures meaningless, due to the lower density and higher temp of the air.

nah it was on the dyno, the bonnet was up, so plenty of fresh air to the tb.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hmm, okay, i had kind of assumed the bonnet to be down. In that case i can see your dyno reading comparisons could be good. Thanks.

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

hmmmm, negative pressure in your air intake.. I have only one thing to say..

If it doesn't blow....... it sucks.

:-)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next