Common Topic - Idle Woes 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Common Topic - Idle Woes
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Wagon & BF MK II

NSW, Australia

Hi guys I have a 96 EL Futura Wagon stock as it comes. Been having problems with rough idle for a while now but thought I had fixed it after changing where I buy my fuel and adding injector cleaner additive, but sadly NOT :(. I realised last week end that it didn't have any probs when air con was on AIR MAX and speed 4, as soon as you turn off AC or drop down to normal AC idle comes back rough again :?

Any ideas on what it could be? I'm thinking of getting injectors and throttle body cleaned professionally, any ideas on what to pay. Had one price from Lube Mobile for $260 :shock: . Is this right????

Any help is apperciated.

I'm a self made millionare
Thug Livin out a prison, pistols in the air,
Biggie, remember when I used to let you sleep on the couch
and beg a b**ch to let you sleep in the house,
Tupac Shakur ---

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:51 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Have you tried cleaning your ISC out?

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Wagon & BF MK II

NSW, Australia

No, not as yet. Is it a hard job to do? I'm not to mechaniclly minded :oops:

I'm a self made millionare
Thug Livin out a prison, pistols in the air,
Biggie, remember when I used to let you sleep on the couch
and beg a b**ch to let you sleep in the house,
Tupac Shakur ---

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

get some throttle body cleaner and clean the isc, shinny thing on top of throttle body

why do u write in here.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

but be very wary of your TPS! lol i just F**k mine up last nite - cost me $104 trade price for a new one :( hehe that and johno (SVO XR6) fitting it for me this morn! :P

R.I.P. Scotty

Post subject: Re: Common Topic - Idle Woes
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

FiveShotz wrote:
Any ideas on what it could be? I'm thinking of getting injectors and throttle body cleaned professionally, any ideas on what to pay. Had one price from Lube Mobile for $260 :shock: . Is this right????

Any help is apperciated.

Personally I don't like Injector cleaner additives, I've never come across one that works well. Also you don't get to see if its worked on all injectors.
Always best to get them cleaned off the car. They cost about $20ea if you remove them a little more if the workshop does it.

Don't go with those Carbon-clean units, they also clean you injectors on the car, once again you can't tell if the injectors are cleaned properly.

ISC is easily cleaned yourself, unplug wiring then 2 small bolts remove it from the throttle body. once off car spray it with carby clean or similar.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

*HINT* Try switching to a decent bloody fuel and fill your Falcon up on BP ULTIMATE as I switched to it about 6 weeks ago and I tell ya I havent had s**t Hesitant Idle problems since.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:02 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

my idle feels a bit lumpy... as in there is a wierd lump that rocks the car ever so slightly a couple of times each second.... and it's very irregular. sort of like an off-beat vibration. Once the car gets going it all but disappears.

i just got the car and had an immediate lube service / automatic service and drove it until i had pretty much drained the entire tank of previous fuel before filling up with mobil 8000.

still has lumps at idle. it's a standard cam of course.

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

buoy wrote:
my idle feels a bit lumpy... as in there is a wierd lump that rocks the car ever so slightly a couple of times each second.... and it's very irregular. sort of like an off-beat vibration. Once the car gets going it all but disappears.

i just got the car and had an immediate lube service / automatic service and drove it until i had pretty much drained the entire tank of previous fuel before filling up with mobil 8000.

My EF Fairmont is doing the exact same thing. Ive cleaned the isc, leads and plugs chjanged 10000 ks ago, new k &n filter, au xr8 snorkle and still has that lump you describe, like a very iregular lump, Its a F^&K pain in the a**

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
*HINT* Try switching to a decent bloody fuel and fill your Falcon up on BP ULTIMATE as I switched to it about 6 weeks ago and I tell ya I havent had s**t Hesitant Idle problems since.

Being as the Falcon is actually designed to run on regular unleaded, it is possible to get them to idle smoothly using it. When my car was idling rough I did all the normal things (Plugs,leads,ISC,Injectors,fuel filter,air filter,vacuum leaks) In the end I also switched to Premium fuel, for about three months, now my car idles smoothly on either fue. I can only put this down to that maybe the mechanic didn't clean the injectors properly and the detergents in the premium fuel finished the job for him.

The point I trying to make here is, switching to a better fuel may work, however not until you have done everthing else. If your plugs & leads are shot, and you have vacuum leaks then premium fuel is not going to be the answer. The other thing you need to be careful of, Is premium fuel fixing the problem or just masking it!

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:48 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Futura

VIC, Australia

Blazing EF wrote:
buoy wrote:

My EF Fairmont is doing the exact same thing. Ive cleaned the isc, leads and plugs chjanged 10000 ks ago, new k &n filter, au xr8 snorkle and still has that lump you describe, like a very iregular lump, Its a F^&K pain in the a**

My EL Futura was doing the same thing so i replaced coil, plugs, leads and rotor cap and the problem was still there! :shock: Turned out to be a faulty lead and they were brand new! :?

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

yeah i think it could be a lead problem as on load there is probably enough voltage to create the right spark... perhaps at idle there is an intermittent problem with spark.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]