Fordmods Logo

completly different air intake, opinions please...PLEASE! 

 

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

 
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:42 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 235

Joined: 10th Nov 2005

Ride: S2 TI R31

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

The reason the scoop is "backwards" is because the air pressure is lower which causes a lower temparture ;).

- mike
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:27 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 391

Joined: 9th Feb 2005

Ride: EB falcon 5spd

Location: adelaide
SA, Australia

Mike_EA wrote:
The reason the scoop is "backwards" is because the air pressure is lower which causes a lower temparture ;).

- mike


oooh,

so how effective is it compared to a front facing scoop?

 

_________________

1993 EBII GLI, IT'S PERFORMANCE Stage 3 engine,
XH Snorkel, K+N panel, Pacie 4480, High flow cat,
2.5" Lukey cat back system. Monroe GT Gas shocks + struts.

just dyno'd at 140.9RWKW

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1008

Joined: 21st Dec 2004

Ride: ED V8

Location: driving under the sun........now!
WA, Australia

Mike_EA wrote:
The reason the scoop is "backwards" is because the air pressure is lower which causes a lower temparture ;).

- mike


Mike is quite right. If you run your hand along the bonnet of a car with a rear facing bonnet scoop, the ambient air temperatures are at least 5-10 degrees cooler towards the base of the winscreen.

I think it has something to do with how cool the actual scoop looks on the car.

Is that right Mike?

 

_________________

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 391

Joined: 9th Feb 2005

Ride: EB falcon 5spd

Location: adelaide
SA, Australia

ok, so the air going in is cooler, but with a reverse facing scoop, can you get as much air in as with a front facing one?

ie, would there be more air being sucked in because the air is colder (reverse scoop), or more air sucked in (at normal temp) because the scoop faces forward, and your driving at 60kms?

i think that makes sense, let me know if i need to re-phrase it.

 

_________________

1993 EBII GLI, IT'S PERFORMANCE Stage 3 engine,
XH Snorkel, K+N panel, Pacie 4480, High flow cat,
2.5" Lukey cat back system. Monroe GT Gas shocks + struts.

just dyno'd at 140.9RWKW

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

animal_ef wrote:
sounds like option 2 is set up like a wrx


that looks like an intercooler to me on the WRX not a filter!

Option 2 would be my way to go. I've often wondered about whacking a pod straight onto the throttle body and a reverse scoop. but the shortening of the intake piping might cause issues.
the other thing to consider if you might be going to all this effort and money for f**k all gain when a nice simple 3" piping, ticky snorkel, 2nd CAI through to the brake duct and high flow pannel filter may satisfy you...

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

EBeast wrote:
ok, so the air going in is cooler, but with a reverse facing scoop, can you get as much air in as with a front facing one?

ie, would there be more air being sucked in because the air is colder (reverse scoop), or more air sucked in (at normal temp) because the scoop faces forward, and your driving at 60kms?


as far as i know ram air induction requires very high speeds to actually be worth anything - like 250km/h plus, so in that sense a forward facing is no better advantage.
the other thing i see is that both will probably provide more than enough air than your engine takes in...

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 1953

Joined: 1st Feb 2006

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

Location: Greenacres/Adelaide
SA, Australia

A forward mounted scoop on a WRX is to force air into the intercooler. It is not an air intake for the engine. A forward mounted scoop would build up too much pressure when off the throttle ie. at a constant speed. That would not be good at all. Have you thought about moving the battery to where the air box is and vice versa (I take it that you have an EF style throttle body setup on it). Run a near straight pipe to the air box and duct a cold air intake from the front bar. No ugly scoop then.

 

_________________

Member Number 8804
Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 391

Joined: 9th Feb 2005

Ride: EB falcon 5spd

Location: adelaide
SA, Australia

matthew5772 wrote:
A forward mounted scoop on a WRX is to force air into the intercooler. It is not an air intake for the engine. A forward mounted scoop would build up too much pressure when off the throttle ie. at a constant speed. That would not be good at all. Have you thought about moving the battery to where the air box is and vice versa (I take it that you have an EF style throttle body setup on it). Run a near straight pipe to the air box and duct a cold air intake from the front bar. No ugly scoop then.


if a front facing scoop caused that much trouble then why are they so poplar?

and umm, err, ok, here it goes... what's a CAI? and what advantage are there having two of them?

 

_________________

1993 EBII GLI, IT'S PERFORMANCE Stage 3 engine,
XH Snorkel, K+N panel, Pacie 4480, High flow cat,
2.5" Lukey cat back system. Monroe GT Gas shocks + struts.

just dyno'd at 140.9RWKW

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 350

Joined: 22nd Aug 2005

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

matthew5772 wrote:
Have you thought about moving the battery to where the air box is and vice versa (I take it that you have an EF style throttle body setup on it). Run a near straight pipe to the air box and duct a cold air intake from the front bar. No ugly scoop then.


The intake would get way to hot over the extractors/exhaust thus reducing any benifit
or so i would guess

 

_________________

EF Futura factory 5 spd
Pacemaker 4480 w/ Redback cat back 2 1/2
RPD Rspec4 cam with Ported Head
RPD Rocker Gear
RPD MS2 ECU

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

ElwoodBlues wrote:
matthew5772 wrote:
Have you thought about moving the battery to where the air box is and vice versa (I take it that you have an EF style throttle body setup on it). Run a near straight pipe to the air box and duct a cold air intake from the front bar. No ugly scoop then.


The intake would get way to hot over the extractors/exhaust thus reducing any benifit
or so i would guess


Possiably at idle. But think about when the car is in forward motion that probably wouldn't be an issue. Fit a vent above say where a Tickford did on the EF/EL XR's and you should be fine as the hot air rises and would go out... The pipe going over the exhaust may still get hot, but that is not much different to the pipe going over the hot rocker cover now is it! And you can fit a heat shield!

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

EBeast wrote:
matthew5772 wrote:
A forward mounted scoop on a WRX is to force air into the intercooler. It is not an air intake for the engine. A forward mounted scoop would build up too much pressure when off the throttle ie. at a constant speed. That would not be good at all. Have you thought about moving the battery to where the air box is and vice versa (I take it that you have an EF style throttle body setup on it). Run a near straight pipe to the air box and duct a cold air intake from the front bar. No ugly scoop then.


if a front facing scoop caused that much trouble then why are they so poplar?

and umm, err, ok, here it goes... what's a CAI? and what advantage are there having two of them?


CAI is Cold Air INtake, advantage is that cold air particles are smaller, so your getting more air in same size package when compared with air of a hotter temperature... If you've done cemistry, then you'll relise that petrol particles need X air particles for the combustion process, so more air particles in the engine, more potential for more petrol, potential for larger combusion, resulting in more power...

I can't think of any cars - there's not many cars standard that have a front forward facing bonnet scoop for induction. Old XY or XW Falcons GT's or something had a smaller one, some of Chrylser Chargers did too. But these days, int eh case of the performance Territory, and WRX's, etc. the forward facing scoop is for the intercooler, the air flow over that lowers the temperature of the air in the intake piping...

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:23 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 51

Posts: 94

Joined: 9th Jan 2006

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Cold air makes power.

Here's a good way to keep underbonnet heat out of the intake.

This stuff works well. Thermo Tec Cool Air Tube Heat Shield.
It goes over the CAI tube and the laces let you tighten it up. For the colour co-ordinators, they supply it with red, yellow, blue and white laces. Comes in 3-foot lengths.

Have a talk to Rocket.

I was quoted $80.

 

 

Attachments:
Thermo Tec 14500.jpg
Thermo Tec 14500.jpg [ 5.96 KiB | Viewed 679 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Posts: 5

Joined: 21st Feb 2006

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

EBeast wrote:
ok, so the air going in is cooler, but with a reverse facing scoop, can you get as much air in as with a front facing one?

ie, would there be more air being sucked in because the air is colder (reverse scoop), or more air sucked in (at normal temp) because the scoop faces forward, and your driving at 60kms?

i think that makes sense, let me know if i need to re-phrase it.


The reason rear facing scoops are better for under-bonnet temps is because as the car moves forward, they create a low-pressure area under the bonnet, effectively sucking more air in - and letting that hot air out again.

 

_________________

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:32 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 391

Joined: 9th Feb 2005

Ride: EB falcon 5spd

Location: adelaide
SA, Australia

what problems would i have with not having vrey much pipe to the throttle body? and what problems 'pressure' would i have with a front facing scoop?

 

_________________

1993 EBII GLI, IT'S PERFORMANCE Stage 3 engine,
XH Snorkel, K+N panel, Pacie 4480, High flow cat,
2.5" Lukey cat back system. Monroe GT Gas shocks + struts.

just dyno'd at 140.9RWKW

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Posts: 18

Joined: 11th Sep 2006

Ride: Bora

Location: Launceston
TAS, Australia

Having a rear facing scoop would be the way to go.

When a car is driving you get a low pressure area at the front of the bonnet so having a scoop there will actually work against you.

Image

As the attached airflow moves over the bonnet it comes to the base of the windscreen where it is forced to change direction. This change of direction creates a high pressure area at the base of the windscreen. Rear facing scoops take advantage of that pressure, making it easier of the engine to breathe the cooler air (effectively forcing the air into the engine at low pressure).

Image

I am yet to see any production car that comes with a forward facing scoop being used for air intake. Yes the WRX uses a forward facing scoop but that is only for the intercooler. The situation is the same for the Pulsar GTiR and Celica GT4.

If you're really interested then here is some recommended reading:
Undertrays, Spoilers & Bonnet Vents, Part 1
Undertrays, Spoilers & Bonnet Vents, Part 2
Undertrays, Spoilers & Bonnet Vents, Part 3
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: car10001 and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:46 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names