Fordmods Logo

Cool/Different Gas Intake Idea 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Cool/Different Gas Intake Idea
Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Whats up everyone.

I was recently thinking about my gas setup and how the mixer ring in the intake restricts the engine quite a bit.. I recent bought a BA intake and ran that for a while without the mixer ring in and wow I loved it. But as petrol is dear I didn't want to be cruising around all day when there is a much cheaper alternative.. but I still wanted the power that comes with it.

It came through my mind to make some sort of dual intake setup something like this:
Attachment:
File comment: Borrowed pic from KWIKXR's sexy engine bay
customgasintake.jpg
customgasintake.jpg [ 259.31 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]

As you can see there is 2 POD filters (obviously they wont be that big, just had to use what was in the photo :P), the 2 pipes would merge a little further up. One has the mixer ring (Restrictive) and the other is fully open with a butterfly.

So while running on gas you'd just close the butterfly and run the car as per usual but when you switch to petrol for "power" mode you simply open up the butterfly and effectively have 2.5x the airflow over just the mixer. I know having the mixer open at the same time won't make much of a difference over just 1 intake but there's no point blocking it off.

The only problem I can see is that with the mixer being so far down it might not work effectively.

So would you think this would work or not? I've got no problem making it just have to ask people if it has some serious design flaws.

Cheers :D

EL Ghia

Last edited by TyLeR3397 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Cool/Different Intake Idea
Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

TyLeR3397 wrote:
Whats up everyone.

I was recently thinking about my gas setup and how the mixer ring in the intake restricts the engine quite a bit.. I recent bought a BA intake and ran that for a while without the mixer ring in and wow I loved it. But as petrol is dear I didn't want to be cruising around all day when there is a much cheaper alternative.. but I still wanted the power that comes with it.

It came through my mind to make some sort of dual intake setup something like this:
Attachment:
customgasintake.jpg

As you can see there is 2 POD filters (obviously they wont be that big, just had to use what was in the photo :P), the 2 pipes would merge a little further up. One has the mixer ring (Restrictive) and the other is fully open with a butterfly.

So while running on gas you'd just close the butterfly and run the car as per usual but when you switch to petrol for "power" mode you simply open up the butterfly and effectively have 2.5x the airflow over just the mixer. I know having the mixer open at the same time won't make much of a difference over just 1 intake but there's no point blocking it off.

The only problem I can see is that with the mixer being so far down it might not work effectively.

So would you think this would work or not? I've got no problem making it just have to ask people if it has some serious design flaws.

Cheers :D

The mixer needs to be as close to the throttle body as possible, but you should be able to bypass it on petrol, using a butterfly mechanism, it still needs to be pretty close to the TB though, I'd be looking into some high flowing mixers.

Gab

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gab1 wrote:
The mixer needs to be as close to the throttle body as possible, but you should be able to bypass it on petrol, using a butterfly mechanism, it still needs to be pretty close to the TB though, I'd be looking into some high flowing mixers.

Gab

How would using a butterfly mechanism bypass the mixer? I'm curious now haha.

I was hoping to see some thread action when I got home but I guess it slipped back into the dead pile pretty quick D:

EL Ghia

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

theres already someone else making something out of an old carbie, to get more flow around the mixer, ill do a search and see what i can find

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Last edited by bry40l on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

^ Cheers :D

EL Ghia

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

couldnt find it :(

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

found it haahah
http://www.fordmods.com/ford-lpg-hydrogen-hho-cng-conversions-f44/idea-for-more-flow-around-mixer-when-on-petrol-t105408.html
just guessed who the person was that started the thread and got it rite first go

BF XR6

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

the butterfly/carby/whatever would want to seal really well though...so that it didn't effect the gas mix...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Oh I've seen that thread before but didn't see any finished pics so I assumed he didn't end up doing it or it didn't work.

Also can anyone tell my why having the mixer ring further away from the t/b is bad? The only thing I can come up with is it would run leaner?

EL Ghia

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]