Fordmods Logo

Coolant dissapearing? 

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:32 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

naughtyfalcon wrote:
that could be the air con hose??
Would there be coolant going through that hose though? I know it seems a dumb questions, but its valid in my case. My aircon is crap at the moment, however i beleieve its due for a re-gas.

Cheers

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

mate you'd be surprised where fluids in these cars can get moved to,,i had a leaking oil sensor and i've got oil all over the place right down to the diff..that hose looks like an air con hose but as for where the coolant is comeing from your guess is as good as mine,,it can come from anywhere.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:48 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

This might seem like a very ghetton solution, but would it be worth taping around that hose join with some tape, either duct or electrical tape? To see if it has any effect on the coolant dropping.

Cheers

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Its not coming from that hose, its a aircon hose, it will be coming from above that, not sure from your description which side it is, drivers or passenger, either the heater tap, or steel hose on the ohter side leaking, its a simple fix. So which side? if tis passengers, heater tap, drivers, steel hose, which has rubber hoses connected to it.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

bowsaw wrote:
Its not coming from that hose, its a aircon hose, it will be coming from above that, not sure from your description which side it is, drivers or passenger, either the heater tap, or steel hose on the ohter side leaking, its a simple fix. So which side? if tis passengers, heater tap, drivers, steel hose, which has rubber hoses connected to it.
Thanks mate, it's on the drivers side. Will get under and have a look shortly and consult the gregorys manual.

Edit: First of all, i swear it was on the passenger side, but that hose pictured above is on the drivers side. Anyway, I just followed where the hose goes, and it goes up the engine, and looks to be going into the back of the power steering area.

Is there anything else i can check that could be making it leak?

So far i've checked:

Oil/.Dipstick - Fine, no mily colour
Radiator Hoses - Cant find any obvious leaks
The mystery hose pictured above - Could be the leak, but being connected to the power steering it doesnt make sense.

Cheers

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED 5 Speed GLiXR

QLD, Australia

I had a similar problem to you a few weeks back. Car went in on the 3rd of january, and got a call from them got told it was a broken head stud (bolt) and the gasket was rooted.
Maybe you have the same thing going on, we found some coolant on the exhaust gaurd (the silver perferated metal gaurd looking thing), and it was right under the car, slow leak that got worse. Estimated price is $800 all up parts/labour. Got a few new hoses and stuff put in as some of them were also leaking.
So take it somewhere to get fully checked as they found a split hose when the head came off, and a few bulging/brittle hoses.
(excuse the long post)

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

TwinturboBMX wrote:
I had a similar problem to you a few weeks back. Car went in on the 3rd of january, and got a call from them got told it was a broken head stud (bolt) and the gasket was rooted.
Maybe you have the same thing going on, we found some coolant on the exhaust gaurd (the silver perferated metal gaurd looking thing), and it was right under the car, slow leak that got worse. Estimated price is $800 all up parts/labour. Got a few new hoses and stuff put in as some of them were also leaking.
So take it somewhere to get fully checked as they found a split hose when the head came off, and a few bulging/brittle hoses.
(excuse the long post)
Thanks twinturbo, will be trying to get it to a mech this week, just cant be stuck without a car.

Cheers

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED 5 Speed GLiXR

QLD, Australia

Yeah mate it kills ya to not have a car for this long. It makes you appreciate having the convienience of one, and i spose i wont take it for granted now.
But yeah back on topic. I took mine to an authorised repco mechanic and what not, very professional looking etc, plus have won awards. (they also have an AC Cobra kit car with 5.0L V8 falcon motor).
But get it checked out, and if needed book it in. Its better to not have the car whilst its being fixed then to not have a car coz you seized the motor or screwed something up.

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: au2 forte

NSW, Australia

hey all here is my 2 cents worth, that pipe in that picture is your high pressure feed from the power steering pump to the rack , man u need to get your mechanic to pressure test your cooling system and that should put u in the right path :roll:

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ed

NSW, Australia

i had the same problem with my v8
used 4 liters of water couldnt fine it
in the end was the radiator top right corner in front
small crack only leaked for 4 mins after turn off when water heated up
so i thought
only used 1 letire then
then looking one day found a hose that goes from the valley to the throtall butterfly for heating the chamber
it had a split
had to pull the plentium chamber off to get to it

all fixed now

how can i run a v8 with petrol so high?
my other car is a 3 c 800cc daewoo matiz
with air bags ac and power windows

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3