Fordmods Logo

Coolant drain to remove radiator hose? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Coolant drain to remove radiator hose?
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:59 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

Hi all,

A quick question - I'm wanting to remove the top radiator hose (radiator to thermostat housing) and replace it with one of a different shape/orientation, to allow room for some intake pipework.

My workshop manual says to remove this top radiator hose I need to drain the radiator of all coolant (which means front bar off, draining, purchasing new coolant, the process of pressurising the system, etc).

Is this absolutely necessary? I just want to remove the top hose....could I partly drain the system and then top up? Or is there an easier way?

If not I'll just drop the coolant as per manual instructions!

Thanks for the help,

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Post subject: Re: Coolant drain to remove radiator hose?
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I have changed top hoses before in cars and never had to drain the radiator. The mechs at work do not either. I would say that you could remove some by taking the top hose off and having a clean bucket under that side of the car to catch the coolant, just leave the cap on the overflow bottle. Just my opinion.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:51 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

You should not loose much coolant either by doing what papa smurf said. If you take the radiator cap off you will lose a lot of coolant but.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:34 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Cool, thanks for that! I'll give this a go now...

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL XR6

ACT, Australia

Cleanest way is to siphon a couple of litres of coolant out from the filler cap. Shove a peice of fuel hose, garden hose etc in the coolant tank and down the hose that goes to the radiator. Just be carefull not to get a mouthfull of coolant!

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Geez, I think I lost around 3-4 litres of coolant! Thought it might be tidier than that. Got the hose changed anyway which is good.

Do i need to go through the process of turning the heater on to pressurise the system having lost that much coolant?

Joe

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Couldnt you have just drained the coolant by removing the radiator bung on the drivers side bottom and then just reused the coolant it if its still good.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:56 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

I suppose. Doesn't help now though! Will be topping up with same coolant and following re-pressurising process as per manual unless I hear otherwise.

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:14 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

green car wrote:
Couldnt you have just drained the coolant by removing the radiator bung on the drivers side bottom and then just reused the coolant it if its still good.

Doing this although thats what it is for is probably a bad idea.
I did this in mine and it kept leaking after that. I had to take it to a radiator place and get the rubber washer replaced. It was ok until i disturbed it.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Do it the hard way then :D why do you think they have a drain bung....
And if you dont check the rubber washer before refitting that is on you, stuff does wear out.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Ended up losing around 4.5L of coolant doing it the above way for anyone deciding to try this in future.

Anyway, filled water up to max level, turned heater on and ran for 10minutes, then checked level again. I expected from the manual (max ellery) instructions that I'd need to top it up again....but water was still at max level. Hopefully all air is bled from the system now.

The odd shaped hose I fitted seems to be holding on fine, and water temp is normal (which is only up 1/3rd on the guage).

Cheers All.

Joe

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]