Coolant Expansion Tank Removal 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Coolant Expansion Tank Removal
Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

Hi gang,

I've enquired with old mate 'Search Button' but am unable to come up with anything useful.

I'm looking to remove the coolant expansion tank in my car, it's going to look bloody ugly with hoses and whatnot going everywhere. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to make it look neat and tidy, but it's a real challenge.

I've seen a couple of Falcons which have binned the tank, but what's involved with getting rid of it?

I've thought of having a radiator cap welded onto the top of the thermostat housing, being that is the higest point of the cooling system, but would i need to have a small expansion tank located somewhere else in the engine bay?

I'm not really sure where to start, any suggestions or examples of de-bottlised Falcons would be a great help.

Post subject: Re: Coolant Expansion Tank Removal
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I know this doesn't answer your question about removing the tank but why not get one of those pretty shiny metal ones and run braided lines to it. Shiny s**t and braided lines always look good in an engine bay and at least you know it'd work.

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

fordman351 wrote:
Hi gang,

I've enquired with old mate 'Search Button' but am unable to come up with anything useful.

I'm looking to remove the coolant expansion tank in my car, it's going to look bloody ugly with hoses and whatnot going everywhere. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to make it look neat and tidy, but it's a real challenge.

I've seen a couple of Falcons which have binned the tank, but what's involved with getting rid of it?

I've thought of having a radiator cap welded onto the top of the thermostat housing, being that is the higest point of the cooling system, but would i need to have a small expansion tank located somewhere else in the engine bay?

I'm not really sure where to start, any suggestions or examples of de-bottlised Falcons would be a great help.

thought about putting another radiator with the rad cap etc, and running some universal style hoses.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

Hey,

Pretty sure you may run into overheating problems, as the water capacity just wouldnt be there. Get an alloy one with some braided hoses. I painted the one i made, as i didnt want to much polished alloy in my engine bay. I'll add a pic if you want.

Cheers

8-) Daz 8-)

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

afaik the resevoir need to be atleast 2.5 liters baffeld an at the highest point of the cooling system.
m-spec aka monza make bolt in alloy tanks bout 200$.
i have thought about using 2 1.5l rad cans behind the front bar,but ithink it may be to low.
sorry about the spelling my keyboard is dying

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

ebxr82nv wrote:
I know this doesn't answer your question about removing the tank but why not get one of those pretty shiny metal ones and run braided lines to it. Shiny s**t and braided lines always look good in an engine bay and at least you know it'd work.

I think this is the best answer, i don't think i'll be able to get rid of it all together without it affecting the cooling system in some way. So if i can't get rid of it i'll make it look pretty :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]