Fordmods Logo

Coolant issues. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Coolant issues.
Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey guys well I just replaced my heater tap and I'm bleeding the cooling system however as soon as thermostat opened heaps coolant erupted out the tank steaming (cap was off due to bleeding).
It's an EB II fairmont 6cyl

Why would this happen? It's never happened before not to mention the heater tap didn't fix the heater it's still only luke warm, howeever the old tap was definitely corroded out.

Anyone know why it would erupt like that?

Post subject: Re: Coolant issues.
Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

It boiled. Either the thermostat opened at to hot a temp or it open as normal and your cooling fan didn't come on.

Commodores will do it as the thermo fan doesn't come on until about 120degrees, With no pressure in the system (cap off) they boil before that.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hmmm well it has a clutch fan so it could only be the thermostat?

The first time the thermostat opened the tank emptied (air bled out) so I topped it up with cold water whilst it was running (and coolant) which is what I was told to do. So there'd be cold water on top of the thermostat and hotter water underneath, the cold water causing the thermostat to open late?
But wouldn't it be identical to the situation of a car heating up from cold?

Thermostat opened around the N (1/4 mark) which is where it always opens, been told to keep the revs at 2000RPM to bleed the air, which I never used to do if that's causing it?? I was revving it the first time the thermostat opened too and it didn't boil, only every time after the first time the thermostat opened.

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:23 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef fairmont 96

WA, Australia

u could try drilling a small hole in the thermostats housing to relieve preassure that should help the ef's have a small hole about 3 mm in the round piece of the thermostat
http://www.mgfcar.de/thermostat/Dcp_5568_1hole.jpg
something like that but a smaller hole about 3 mm it helps with air bubbles a fair bit.

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Yes around 2000 rpm is the normal procedure, I use to stick a feeler gauge in the idle stop to hold it at that speed. And if the header tank is too full it will bubble over. Halfway between hot and cold is all you need

As for your heater, try connecting a garden hose to one of the heater hoses near the tap and flush the heater out

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

never ever had to "bleed" a falcon cooling system...they pretty much self bleed..

the only time ive seen a problem similar to yours it was caused by a cracked head...

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

PS and if your system is still only luke warm then your thermostat isnt opeating correctly or youve got an Allheads style bypass system...

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

PPS... or your heater core is blocked or not receiving full flow....they can become clogged if the coolant hasnt been changed in a long time

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

gogetta wrote:
never ever had to "bleed" a falcon cooling system...they pretty much self bleed..

the only time ive seen a problem similar to yours it was caused by a cracked head...

Your right they do, after a while. The two small hoses, one from the top of the radiator and one from the top thermostat housing that go back to the header tank are there to allow air out of the head and radiator and return to the header tank.
The procedure is to speed up this process, as air trapped in a hot head can cause it to crack. Running it fast with the cap off allows the air out as soon as the thermostat opens.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

gogetta wrote:
PPS... or your heater core is blocked or not receiving full flow....they can become clogged if the coolant hasnt been changed in a long time

Starting to think it could be this.

Sorry by luke warm I meant the temp of the heater, not the coolant.
I noticed when I disconnected the tap the pastic side (towards heater core) of it had partially disintegrated and there was a brownish rust coloured gunk covering the inside of it. Not to mention it was stuffed, the flap wasn't opening/was mostly shut. Despite this the new tap made no difference whatsoever. I also noticed that when I disconnected the tap barely any coolant came out I read on here that I should lose heaps and probably only lost half a litre. Was pretty happy I didn't get soaked but maybe I wasn't because it was blocked??

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

reverse flush the heater core with a garden hose.
Helpful hint: your basic 1/2" garden hose should fit nicely inside the heater hose and some slight tension with a hose clamp will keep it there while you flush it.

Once you've done it to just heater, leave the hose in one side and connect the other heater hose back up, turn the tap back on and it should flush the block too. (note: this is not as good as removing the thermostat and properly reverse flushing the block)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]