Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

how old is the thermostat?

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Post subject: Re: Coolant Overflow after driving
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

was replaced the week before xmas when the head was done, its an 85 degree one

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Condenser blocked with insects?

My ED sits on the bottom "normal" bar on the NL cluster... Even on a 45degree day with the AC running it only lifts a bit over that... It was getting a bit higher previously and I blew the insects out of the condenser it has since improved it...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

where is the condensor and is it hard to clean out? would i be better off with getting the cooling system properly cleaned and flushed? sounds like the best option to me

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Wouldn't hurt but only if it is 4 or 5 years old... My ED is about 5 years old and changed the coolant once in that time (I have a test kit to test it here)... Still works great...

Condenser is the air conditioning "radiator" that sits in front of the cooling system radiator... If you pull the radiator out you'll clearly see it... When you look through the front of the car you are looking at the condenser... Not the radiator... So naturally insects and bug hit the condenser first and stick in between all the fins in it meaning air flow cannot pass through it or the radiator... This causes the motor to not cool as well and the AC system to run at a higher pressure...

Dad has a tool made up which is a air fitting braised to a piece of brake line about 1.5 feet long... The other end of the brake line is braised up and a hole drilled at this end but in the side of the pipe... Then we can unbolt the radiator and lean it toward the motor... Slide this down between the radiator and condenser and hook the compressor to it and use it as a slimline air nozzle if you think of it like that... Otherwise you'd need to take the radiator out to get a normal air nozzle between them...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks tim, ill just go get the whole system cleaned and flushed properly and replace the cap

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 93 ed fairmont ghia

NSW, Australia

i was having problems with my ed fairmont with the cooling system, partly to do with a head gasket but it was fixed, after that i replaced the thermostat with a std one, same problems of fluctuating and etc. replaced it to a hi flow thermostat and now highway and most normal driving it sits between the n and o (normal) with a/c on even hot days, of course my ef/l thermo fan conversion keeps it cool as around town. but like its been said before could be another part of your cooling system

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

c james wrote:
i was having problems with my ed fairmont with the cooling system, partly to do with a head gasket but it was fixed, after that i replaced the thermostat with a std one, same problems of fluctuating and etc. replaced it to a hi flow thermostat and now highway and most normal driving it sits between the n and o (normal) with a/c on even hot days, of course my ef/l thermo fan conversion keeps it cool as around town. but like its been said before could be another part of your cooling system

im guessing your gauge is opposite too the ef/l one then?

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Chargd wrote:
c james wrote:

yeah thats right on the ed all the needles go in the one direction. so would be opposite from el/f. starting from N being cold etc. any luck with it?

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

c james wrote:
Chargd wrote:
c james wrote:

yeah thats right on the ed all the needles go in the one direction. so would be opposite from el/f. starting from N being cold etc. any luck with it?

havnt had a chance to fix anything at this stage, my dad was taken to hospital, it overflowed again today and i didnt have the a/c on, ill get it looked at this week, something isnt right

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:15 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Gli wagon

NSW, Australia

I had been losing coolant, too.
SOmetimes it was fine, sometimes low. Was paranoid about a blown head gasket, and kept checking the dipstick for signs of water, and under the oil cap, but nothing.
On a reent drive to and back from the Snowy Mtns, the coolant level was fine when I got to Jindy, and was fine befoer I left, but at home I found the coolant was almost all gone from the storage resevoir.
It never ran hot, btw.
So, took it to the radiator repair guy last week. A pressure test revealed no leaks. He changed the cap (he said it looked dodgy), and also the thermostat (ditto), and replaced the coolant.
Has been good since, and off to Tamworth today for some music and fishing, so I'll be driving it all oiver the place, and that should see how it's all going.

EF GLi Wagon. Burgundy. Gas shocks. Rear sway bar. Nice stereo & speakers. Factory bull bar. Driving lights. Roof racks. Great car. 2nd owner. 147,000km.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:53 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

It's not always going to show a milky oil colour from a blown head gasket it depends where it's blown from, mine never did, was just blowing a bit of steam, using a s**t load of coolant. +1 try changing the cap and thermostat it's an easy job, pretty cheap considering too.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I'm confused; where else can it go, but into the combustion chamber, if it's a head gasket leak?
Isn't it mixing with the oil on the bores in there? The only other direction it can go is outside?
What am I missing?
As for my car, checked it this morning in Tamworth, and level is unchanged. Needle hovered just under the 'A' in NORMAL, as it did before.

EF GLi Wagon. Burgundy. Gas shocks. Rear sway bar. Nice stereo & speakers. Factory bull bar. Driving lights. Roof racks. Great car. 2nd owner. 147,000km.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Can leak into an oil galley and yes show up milky... Can leak into a cylinder and be burnt... Or can leak to outside the block... Obviously in 2 of 3 of these blown headgasket scenarios you are not going to have milky oil and it was just a suggestion you shouldn't use milky oil as an indicator...

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Well, that's cleared that one up for me.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2