Fordmods Logo

coolant overflow / low oil pressure 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: coolant overflow / low oil pressure
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

the oil pressure in my nf drops when the engine is hot. At start up the pressure shows mid but once the temp climbs the guage drops especially on a hot day.oil level is fine . This only happens when l'm idle at the lights but when l drive off the pressure rises.Oil is new however it's a 15w-40 grade.Also my coolant is pissing out of the overflow pipe when the car is turned off. Are these two problems related? : :cry: :cry:

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

Welcome to Fordmods,
The movement of the the oil pressure gauge sounds normal to me, it's the same in my car. As long as it rises when you're actually driving it's ok and unrelated to the coolant overflow.
Is your car actually overheating or running on the high side of normal?
Low oil levels can increase the engine temp but as your oils right check your pressure cap if your losing too much coolant. Some coolant loss after switch off happens if the coolant tank was over-filled when cold. If it continues to below the level lines on the tank, firstly the cap needs replacing. If it continues to go low with a new cap then a cooling system flush and test, including compression test, should be done.
Cheers,
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:33 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

HI Paul
the oil pressure does actually rise when l'm driving so that should be ok,also l changed my oil to 20w-50 as the car has done 230000km's so the thicker oil should help.
As for the coolant problem l changed the cap, but waiting for a hot day to see if that helps.coolant level was ok and not overfilled . the temp was on the high side of norm but it was 42deg and l had air con on. l'll keep you posted. Thanks for your help.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Clear the front of the radiator, i wager it has a dump truck load of grass in the front.

do a coolant change, swap out the temostat and gasket. maybe test the temp sensor as the thermo fans should come on at high temps

the radiator could be blocked internally too.

try a few of those things, you should be able to get the coolant change & thermo yourself and see the good side of $60. the pressure cap should help a bit, but if something else is wrong, it could over pressure the system and blow somewhere else

and welcome to fordmods

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]