Fordmods Logo

Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator
Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 58

Posts: 1027

Joined: 13th Sep 2010

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

Location: Eagleby
QLD, Australia

Hi,

I have replaced a radiator hose that connects to the waterpump, however it still tends to seap a little and drips on top of the alternator.

The radiator hose is new and has not gone past the raised metal stop on the waterpump , the radiator clamp is tight..and yet still has the odd leak.

I have drive a few thousand klms and do on the odd occassion top up the filler bubble.

Would anyone know what the problem might be and how to remedy?

Thanks
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator
Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 790

Joined: 18th Mar 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
Hi,

I have replaced a radiator hose that connects to the waterpump, however it still tends to seap a little and drips on top of the alternator.

The radiator hose is new and has not gone past the raised metal stop on the waterpump , the radiator clamp is tight..and yet still has the odd leak.

I have drive a few thousand klms and do on the odd occassion top up the filler bubble.

Would anyone know what the problem might be and how to remedy?

Thanks


This is just a suggestion, I had a similar problem on my Cleveland a while ago...mine looked to be a bit of corrosion on the thermostat housing (but not enough to warrant replacing it) so what I did was remove the hose, clean everything, coated the inside of the hose and thermostat housing in Permatex non setting gasket goop stuff to help the seal, then reinstalled using 2 hose clamps next to each other - the idea being that if it was seeping past the first clamp, the second should be sufficient to stop the seepage - which it was...worked for me and cost virtually nothing to try, so worth a go...

 

_________________

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:41 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 58

Posts: 1027

Joined: 13th Sep 2010

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

Location: Eagleby
QLD, Australia

tearlejc,

Thanks for your reply, hmmm, your suggestion sounds good to me. Come to think of it, I did notice a little bit of corrosion when I took the old hose off. I did clean the metal before fitting the new hose some time ago.

I'll have to drain the coolant again and get a couple of bottles before I start just in case.

Two new hose clamps and Permatex non setiing gasket goo.

Cheers, Peter
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:10 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
tearlejc,

Thanks for your reply, hmmm, your suggestion sounds good to me. Come to think of it, I did notice a little bit of corrosion when I took the old hose off. I did clean the metal before fitting the new hose some time ago.

I'll have to drain the coolant again and get a couple of bottles before I start just in case.

Two new hose clamps and Permatex non setiing gasket goo.

Cheers, Peter


How old is the coolant? If its only just been put in you can syphon most of it out from the header tank. Just make sure you push your syphon hose down into the larger hose in the bottom of the tank, the one that leads into the radiator tank. You wont get it all out but it might save you buying more.
Corrosion on the water pump prevents a good seal, if its real bad you may need to replace the pump.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:27 am 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

check its not leaking from the heater pipe o ring at the back of the water pump
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:59 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 71

Joined: 27th Aug 2010

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1992 eb fairmont classic

Location: newcastle
NSW, Australia

sounds like the o-ring on the back of ur water pump for the heater hoses
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 58

Posts: 1027

Joined: 13th Sep 2010

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

Location: Eagleby
QLD, Australia

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I'll double check a few things.

Coolant is about 5 months old but have been topping up the header tank on occassions.

Cant see any leaks from the back of waterpump, it's definitely leaking from where the hose goes onto the water pump, I can feel coolant when fingers are over the area and yes , bright green coolant is pooling on top of alternator.

It must leak moreso when engine is running as opposed to not running, one could say it's leaking whilst under running pressure.

Peter
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 55

Posts: 21

Joined: 20th Feb 2010

Ride: AUII XR ute

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

On my AU XR6 I had a similar problem, original pump, new hose, new clamp, new coolant mixed in the correct ratio. There is a seam line on the pump outlet pipe from the casting process which the coolant would wick along, not much but enough to be obvious. I lightly dressed the seam line to blend it in smooth, awkward to do in situ but possible. Fine ever since.
Also check the inside of the new hose, I have encountered poorly moulded hoses that were porous from Gates that slipped through the QC process. Just a few possibilities to keep in your bag of remedies.
Bill.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 58

Posts: 1027

Joined: 13th Sep 2010

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

Location: Eagleby
QLD, Australia

Paul,

Thanks for your message, I'll check it when I replace the hose again, best to be safe especially when driving long distances.

Cheers, Peter
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 58

Posts: 1027

Joined: 13th Sep 2010

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

Location: Eagleby
QLD, Australia

Hello again,

I decided to take a photo and post a pic of the problem, sorry if I could not make it clearer as it becomes distorted if i got too close.

You can see the green coolant pooling on top of the alternator. I also noticed some corrosion marks / stains that is evident on a small section on the outer part of the alternator...could be as said earlier a faulty hose or pipe leading to waterpump that requires attention.

Here is the pic.

Cheers, Peter

 

 

Attachments:
leak from radiator hose to alternator (Large).JPG
leak from radiator hose to alternator (Large).JPG [ 72.69 KiB | Viewed 87 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 790

Joined: 18th Mar 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

that hose looks a bit manky and swollen...

 

_________________

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 58

Posts: 1027

Joined: 13th Sep 2010

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

Location: Eagleby
QLD, Australia

Hi,

hmmm, might be, but I had to force it over the lip of the waterpump intake pipe. I think the lip might be making the radiator hose more distorted then it should be.

I'll purchase another radiator hose and clean the waterpump pipe again with emery cloth.

Do you reckon I should go genuine fraud with the radiator hose or via supercheap /expensive?

I think either way I might be ripped off price wise

Cheers, Peter
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 790

Joined: 18th Mar 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
Hi,

hmmm, might be, but I had to force it over the lip of the waterpump intake pipe. I think the lip might be making the radiator hose more distorted then it should be.

I'll purchase another radiator hose and clean the waterpump pipe again with emery cloth.

Do you reckon I should go genuine fraud with the radiator hose or via supercheap /expensive?

I think either way I might be ripped off price wise

Cheers, Peter


Up to you, but I'd probably just go supercheap (my last lot were from Sprint, they were some American brand that I had to modify slightly to fit but then mine is a bit of a bitsa with a different engine, bit from here, bit from there kinda thing - you'd be right off the shelf for your car..)

 

_________________

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:02 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 71

Joined: 27th Aug 2010

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1992 eb fairmont classic

Location: newcastle
NSW, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
Hello again,

I decided to take a photo and post a pic of the problem, sorry if I could not make it clearer as it becomes distorted if i got too close.

You can see the green coolant pooling on top of the alternator. I also noticed some corrosion marks / stains that is evident on a small section on the outer part of the alternator...could be as said earlier a faulty hose or pipe leading to waterpump that requires attention.

Here is the pic.

Cheers, Peter

uhh is it just me or does that hose looks like its got a hole in it?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant slightly leaking onto alternator
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 790

Joined: 18th Mar 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Eb cruiza wrote:
bondy99 wrote:
Hello again,

I decided to take a photo and post a pic of the problem, sorry if I could not make it clearer as it becomes distorted if i got too close.

You can see the green coolant pooling on top of the alternator. I also noticed some corrosion marks / stains that is evident on a small section on the outer part of the alternator...could be as said earlier a faulty hose or pipe leading to waterpump that requires attention.

Here is the pic.

Cheers, Peter

uhh is it just me or does that hose looks like its got a hole in it?

yeh I see what you mean, on the front edge in from the clamp...I reckon a new hose is a good idea...

 

_________________

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:47 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names