Fordmods Logo

Coolant vanishing 

 

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 747

Joined: 8th Nov 2009

Ride: ford au

Location: brisbane
QLD, Australia

For starters, au engine hardly or rarely have head gasket problems, the sump has side bolts in which they bolt into the main caps, so it gives it more structual integrity,

Overall just a better engine over all,

 

_________________

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:56 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 276

Joined: 14th Apr 2009

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

AU 6 motors are awesome man, mine has done 322,000 and is still going, factory transmission. Only thing i ever had to change that was bolted to that motor was the starter motor. It's still using the factory water pump!!!!! These motors are good for 500K so i have heard from taxi drivers. And i would believe it.

Wish the 5.4L's were as bulletproof :(.

 

_________________

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 9453

Joined: 9th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

Location: Wollongong
NSW, Australia

Damn all of you aspiring Au powered E series owners.


Trying to get an Au motor for an Au is from a wrecker is damn near impossible unless you are prepared to pay a premium cause they all get off loaded as e series conversions (and have their poor sumps butchered) before they even make it to the yard.

Its true. MacAurthur spares no longer stocks Petrol or dual fuel Au i6 engines. Only Egas engines and they sell for $600 each bare.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:51 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 276

Joined: 14th Apr 2009

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

I seen a couple of motors on ebay from BA's for cheap, $750 if i remember correctly. AU motors are 157KW where is BA's are 182KW and 190KW for BF's so might be better off. Although i reckon it would be more complicated getting the BA motor into the e series, because of all the sensors for the VCT.

 

_________________

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 747

Joined: 8th Nov 2009

Ride: ford au

Location: brisbane
QLD, Australia

hmm in qld there bloody every where the au motors

i paid 120 for mine

 

_________________

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:31 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 9453

Joined: 9th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

Location: Wollongong
NSW, Australia

You going to whack a $10,000 crank in that one too Matt? :lol:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:16 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 747

Joined: 8th Nov 2009

Ride: ford au

Location: brisbane
QLD, Australia

still sitting at home some where i think, but i could if i had the time,

 

_________________

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:26 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 25

Posts: 92

Joined: 13th May 2010

Ride: F6 Typhoon

Location: North West Sydney
NSW, Australia

Righteo well about two weeks ago i topped up the coolant and its at min again today, and theres a nice water feature on the side of the block now when the car is running.

How good are the JMM triple layer metal head gaskets? Because its either one of those or an AU one. I know the one from JMM will (supposedly) boost the compression ratio to about 9.65:1. But im just concerned with the durability thats all.

Cheers

 

_________________

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 9453

Joined: 9th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

Location: Wollongong
NSW, Australia

I suggest you get the first option that's available to you and fit it ASAP. The car will run better with either of them than what it is running like now. No need to debate about specifics. Your situation is similar to two doctors arguing about using a left or right handed scalpel to operate on someone who is minutes away from death.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 56

Posts: 1597

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

Location: Riverstone
NSW, Australia

I have been having the same problem with Rachs EF, coolant disappears over a week, is hard to start and temp runs high in the normal range. Had a quick squiz around the engine today and found seepage from between 1 & 2 on the exhaust side. Deciding now if I'll do an AU gasket or just replace the engine......

Cheers
RD

 

_________________

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 20

Joined: 4th Jul 2009

Ride: 06 bf mkii xr6t

Location: collie
WA, Australia

racedirector wrote:
I have been having the same problem with Rachs EF, coolant disappears over a week, is hard to start and temp runs high in the normal range. Had a quick squiz around the engine today and found seepage from between 1 & 2 on the exhaust side. Deciding now if I'll do an AU gasket or just replace the engine......

Cheers
RD


mines running warm and loosing coolant slowly but i cant find any leaks and cant find any in the oil ??
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 4326

Joined: 30th Oct 2006

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

Location: Grafton
NSW, Australia

bennomate wrote:
Righteo well about two weeks ago i topped up the coolant and its at min again today, and theres a nice water feature on the side of the block now when the car is running.

How good are the JMM triple layer metal head gaskets? Because its either one of those or an AU one. I know the one from JMM will (supposedly) boost the compression ratio to about 9.65:1. But im just concerned with the durability thats all.

Cheers


JMM headgaskets are Ford AU MLS gaskets, with a price increase. Buy one from Ford for about $70. They do increase the comp ratio a touch as theyre half the thickness of the original composite type gasket.

 

_________________

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:33 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 25

Posts: 92

Joined: 13th May 2010

Ride: F6 Typhoon

Location: North West Sydney
NSW, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
JMM headgaskets are Ford AU MLS gaskets, with a price increase. Buy one from Ford for about $70. They do increase the comp ratio a touch as theyre half the thickness of the original composite type gasket.


Ah sweet, thanks heaps.

devil's EL SPRINT wrote:
mines running warm and loosing coolant slowly but i cant find any leaks and cant find any in the oil ??


That was my situation about two months ago

 

_________________

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 20

Joined: 4th Jul 2009

Ride: 06 bf mkii xr6t

Location: collie
WA, Australia

bennomate wrote:
krisisdog wrote:
JMM headgaskets are Ford AU MLS gaskets, with a price increase. Buy one from Ford for about $70. They do increase the comp ratio a touch as theyre half the thickness of the original composite type gasket.


Ah sweet, thanks heaps.

devil's EL SPRINT wrote:
mines running warm and loosing coolant slowly but i cant find any leaks and cant find any in the oil ??


That was my situation about two months ago




do i dare ask what the out come was lol
i supose i need to know tho
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:52 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 25

Posts: 92

Joined: 13th May 2010

Ride: F6 Typhoon

Location: North West Sydney
NSW, Australia

devil's EL SPRINT wrote:
bennomate wrote:
krisisdog wrote:
JMM headgaskets are Ford AU MLS gaskets, with a price increase. Buy one from Ford for about $70. They do increase the comp ratio a touch as theyre half the thickness of the original composite type gasket.


Ah sweet, thanks heaps.

devil's EL SPRINT wrote:
mines running warm and loosing coolant slowly but i cant find any leaks and cant find any in the oil ??


That was my situation about two months ago




do i dare ask what the out come was lol
i supose i need to know tho


Well the coolant loss got faster and now i go from max to min within a couple of weeks, and theres coolant coming out of the head gasket externally starting from a week ago. Runs warm and even warmer with the AC on. Im replacing the headgasket within a couple of weeks once i get the money together, and at the same time getting a new water pump and getting the radiator flushed.

 

_________________

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:20 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names