Fordmods Logo

Coolant vanishing 

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Coolant vanishing
Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

For starters, au engine hardly or rarely have head gasket problems, the sump has side bolts in which they bolt into the main caps, so it gives it more structual integrity,

Overall just a better engine over all,

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:56 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

AU 6 motors are awesome man, mine has done 322,000 and is still going, factory transmission. Only thing i ever had to change that was bolted to that motor was the starter motor. It's still using the factory water pump!!!!! These motors are good for 500K so i have heard from taxi drivers. And i would believe it.

Wish the 5.4L's were as bulletproof :(.

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Damn all of you aspiring Au powered E series owners.

Trying to get an Au motor for an Au is from a wrecker is damn near impossible unless you are prepared to pay a premium cause they all get off loaded as e series conversions (and have their poor sumps butchered) before they even make it to the yard.

Its true. MacAurthur spares no longer stocks Petrol or dual fuel Au i6 engines. Only Egas engines and they sell for $600 each bare.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:51 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

I seen a couple of motors on ebay from BA's for cheap, $750 if i remember correctly. AU motors are 157KW where is BA's are 182KW and 190KW for BF's so might be better off. Although i reckon it would be more complicated getting the BA motor into the e series, because of all the sensors for the VCT.

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

hmm in qld there bloody every where the au motors

i paid 120 for mine

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You going to whack a $10,000 crank in that one too Matt? :lol:

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

still sitting at home some where i think, but i could if i had the time,

Quote:

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: F6 Typhoon

NSW, Australia

Righteo well about two weeks ago i topped up the coolant and its at min again today, and theres a nice water feature on the side of the block now when the car is running.

How good are the JMM triple layer metal head gaskets? Because its either one of those or an AU one. I know the one from JMM will (supposedly) boost the compression ratio to about 9.65:1. But im just concerned with the durability thats all.

Cheers

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I suggest you get the first option that's available to you and fit it ASAP. The car will run better with either of them than what it is running like now. No need to debate about specifics. Your situation is similar to two doctors arguing about using a left or right handed scalpel to operate on someone who is minutes away from death.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

I have been having the same problem with Rachs EF, coolant disappears over a week, is hard to start and temp runs high in the normal range. Had a quick squiz around the engine today and found seepage from between 1 & 2 on the exhaust side. Deciding now if I'll do an AU gasket or just replace the engine......

Cheers
RD

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 06 bf mkii xr6t

WA, Australia

racedirector wrote:
I have been having the same problem with Rachs EF, coolant disappears over a week, is hard to start and temp runs high in the normal range. Had a quick squiz around the engine today and found seepage from between 1 & 2 on the exhaust side. Deciding now if I'll do an AU gasket or just replace the engine......

Cheers
RD

mines running warm and loosing coolant slowly but i cant find any leaks and cant find any in the oil ??

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

bennomate wrote:
Righteo well about two weeks ago i topped up the coolant and its at min again today, and theres a nice water feature on the side of the block now when the car is running.

How good are the JMM triple layer metal head gaskets? Because its either one of those or an AU one. I know the one from JMM will (supposedly) boost the compression ratio to about 9.65:1. But im just concerned with the durability thats all.

Cheers

JMM headgaskets are Ford AU MLS gaskets, with a price increase. Buy one from Ford for about $70. They do increase the comp ratio a touch as theyre half the thickness of the original composite type gasket.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
JMM headgaskets are Ford AU MLS gaskets, with a price increase. Buy one from Ford for about $70. They do increase the comp ratio a touch as theyre half the thickness of the original composite type gasket.

Ah sweet, thanks heaps.

devil's EL SPRINT wrote:
mines running warm and loosing coolant slowly but i cant find any leaks and cant find any in the oil ??

That was my situation about two months ago

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 06 bf mkii xr6t

WA, Australia

bennomate wrote:
krisisdog wrote:

Ah sweet, thanks heaps.

devil's EL SPRINT wrote:

do i dare ask what the out come was lol
i supose i need to know tho

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

devil's EL SPRINT wrote:
bennomate wrote:
krisisdog wrote:

Ah sweet, thanks heaps.

devil's EL SPRINT wrote:

do i dare ask what the out come was lol
i supose i need to know tho

Well the coolant loss got faster and now i go from max to min within a couple of weeks, and theres coolant coming out of the head gasket externally starting from a week ago. Runs warm and even warmer with the AC on. Im replacing the headgasket within a couple of weeks once i get the money together, and at the same time getting a new water pump and getting the radiator flushed.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next