Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

I'm leaning towards head gasket!

Post subject: Re: Cooling system pressurising when engine its turned off
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FORD FALCON AU SRIES1

QLD, Australia

my mate has the same prob with hi el xr6 he found that the thermostat wasnt working properly, gave it a tap with a hammer and it realeasied and the pressure dropped instanly, same prob u r having, after he turnerd it off he lost water over the over flow tank and the hoses was like rock hard hope this helps cheers

yes i have a vagina!

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

i love the way everyone thinks when an e series has a heating problem it's instantly a headgasket.
if it's pressurising after shutdown how do you get combustion pressure bleed off when the engine isn't combusting!? it's thermal runaway, everycar suffers to some degree from it, some worse then others and it's condition dependant. i can't say exactly what it is, but i'd start replacing everything starting with cap, thermostat, hoses & pipes. & can also do a radiator flush but i don't think this is your problem.
also are you running a glycol mixture ? i ran glycol in mine coz i thought i would benifit from the anti boil properties, in time i figured out this was only a bandaid solution and not a good one, you culd actually hear my coolant boiling inside the block a little after shutdown, this is because glycol reduces waters ability to tranfser heat. meaning all the heat stays in the block, so does the coolant, then it boils, creates pressure and spits it out the overflow (read: cap functioning properly) if it wasn't for that cap it would split a hose and spray boiling coolant everywhere at high pressure.

the return pipe in mine from the pump to the thermostat housing causes hot running on first thermostat cycle because the water pump isn't pushing the water anywhere, and mine also pushes oodles of water out on shutdown to, i accredit this to the same problem and the water has nowhere else to, making the thermal runaway worse.
i really feel that mild steel, (already at a disadvantage) paper thin bypass tube is absolutely piss poor engineering on fords part, and after 20 years they still have them ! frigin riduclous. why couldn't they just accept the 20% increase in cost and use stainless and have it last forever ? oh thats right because then we wouldn't have to overhaul our cooling systems as much and they would be morereliable and then ford service would be loosing money.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

Has anyone tried hooking up a electric water pump and tried to run a system where the thermo's and water pump stay running after engine shut of for a certain time?

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
i love the way everyone thinks when an e series has a heating problem it's instantly a headgasket.
Well since it's a pressurisation issue, the headgasket sealing can still be suspect, and it needs to be ruled out.
low_ryda wrote:
if it's pressurising after shutdown how do you get combustion pressure bleed off when the engine isn't combusting!?
Exactly as I've described earlier - the combustion gases venture into the cooling system under a headgasket firing ring - when cold the cylinder compression holds pressure in the cooling system.
Here's more good news - if your hoses, cap, etc are in good order, a compression test will come up good on the leaking cylinder, as will a pressure test on the cooling system.
Best way to know is as a number of us have said, is get the coolant tested for combustion gasses.

Funnily enough, some of us do base our info on real life situations.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

thats good snap, i'm not out to prove people wrong, specially when i only base my knowledge on what i have 'actually' experienced. how many people do that kind of testing round here though ?

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Start the car cold with the radiator cap removed. If you see bubbles of air coming from the radiator filler tube at the bottom of the reservoir tank then you have either got a stuffed head gasket or cracked head. You should have already checked this by now, was mentioned in a previous post..........................................

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
thats good snap, i'm not out to prove people wrong
And no one has said you were - but in these situations, the HG is maybe still a factor, but a very easy gas test is a quick, non expensive way to determine it.
He can then move onto the rad cap, thermostat, etc.

low_ryda wrote:
how many people do that kind of testing round here though ?
Those that want to solve their problem. A comp test was mentioned in this thread - thing is though, it's results may be inconclusive, as maybe a cooling system pressure test.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

As I previously mentioned I had the exact same issue - now have changed head gasket and no issue............

My Problem Conclusively SOLVED

Heater Pipes, Heat Core, Radiator, Radiator Hoses, Radiator Cap, Thermostat ALL had been changed prior to changing the head gasket and I still had the same issue of too much pressure.

Yes it may be a sticky thermostat or soemthing else but in my case it was the Head Gasket

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks alot for all the info guys, ive flushed the cooling system the other day, made it better, but now the hose from the thermostat to the radiator needs replacing as its leaking, apart from that there is no pressure, but that would be as a direct result of the leak, lol.

Does the Teekay test a pretty simple test, i imagine its as simple as hooking up a multimeter to a battery :)

Im pulling out the thermostat tonight, test it in a boililing pot of water, if it works ill drill a few medium sized holes in it and see how we go :)

f**k cars :) Atleast i've got a few weeks to fix it :)

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

mine was doing the exact same thing but i could smell like exhaust gasses in the water bottle ,mine was the head gasket .water got dirty really quick as well .

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

with the cooling system flushed its back to normal pressure :)

still takes two turns of the key to start it but hey, im not spending $1k to stop that, plus i like having an excuse to open the bonnet and pour water into it :P lmao

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

with the cooling system flushed its back to normal pressure :)

still takes two turns of the key to start it but hey, im not spending $1k to stop that, plus i like having an excuse to open the bonnet and pour water into it :P lmao

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2