Fordmods Logo

could it be that the coolant temp sensor 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: could it be that the coolant temp sensor
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

my 92 eb falcon 4.0l has a problem, over the winter the car has ran fine never missed a beat however over the last two days after driving for a little while the engine just dies and wont start, the car has never ran a thermostat and normally sits just out of the blue on the temp gauge but with the warmer weather as soon as it gets up around the o in normal and after about 2500rmp its starts to cough and splutter then at idel it will stop and wont start. after ten minutes it will start but under revs it cuts in and out causing it to backfire, if i hose the radiator and get the temp down its fine, also i noticed the tacho needle drops away to zero and back up, that comes accross to me as a electical fault cos its more like the tacho loses power rather than following the engine back down to zero, could it be that the coolant temp sensor is faulty above a certain temp its going full closed circuit causing the sensor to give a out of range resistance value to the ecu. any idea's some other views on this would be a great help.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Sounds like a TFI module that is on its way out.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
Sounds like a TFI module that is on its way out.
i like to think i know my way around a car and i dont want to sound like a noob but what is the TFI module and where is it, oh and what is its job?? :oops:

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

sorry

TFI module is the ignition module. Its on the side of the distributor (grey looking thing that the wires plug on to). They do two things - tell the ecu what rpm the engine is doing and control the sparking. When they stuff up (which they do quite often) you start getting weak or no spark, especially when hot. Once they cool down they work again.

Replace the module and use plenty of heat paste when you do. Im pretty sure that will fix your problems.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks for the info i also did a seach before your second post and found out TFI is the module on the dissy, i didnt know it was TFI, anyways i have had module trobles in the past and i dont think thats the problem, how does the engine temp effect its proformance ?, and thought once thay stuffed up thay were stuffed not intermiting as such. anyways i will take you advice i have nothing to loose i have a spare dissy so i will give it a try, do ya think artic silver would be ok for paste?

Last edited by fastleno on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Basically heat kills TFI modules. When they are on their way out they will work when cold but fail when hot.

Next time it happens, cool the module down with a wet rag or somthing and see if it comes good ;)

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

anyways i will take you advice i have nothing to loose i have a spare dissy so i will give it a try, do ya think artic silver would be ok for paste?

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

oh and i edited my third post as you posted the answer in you first post about the heat factor :lol: sorry for the confusion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]