Fordmods Logo

Could really use some opinions... 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Could really use some opinions...
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:35 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 93 EB Falcon

WA, Australia

Hi guys how ya all doing?

Im new to the forum and to the world of cars so i could use some extra inputs,
heres my dilemma

Im currently torn between fixing my eb (coz i love it so much) and getting a new car and i need some advice.

If im going to get a new car its either going to be a 98' XR6 EL ($4.800), a 99' XR6 AU ($4.900) or a 03-04 BA XT for like $6000.

Which one would be the better choice?? which one has the least problems, looks the best, drives the best, can you do more to??

As for my EB im thinking of

* new head and/or gasket
* reconing the engine
* new radiator
* needs one side resprayed
* needs L/H headlight panel beaten
* buying new guards, bonnet and bumper
* new shocks front and back
* 4 new 235x40x15 tires
* re chrome my mags (if i can find a place)
* tint my windows

All that will probably cost me more than 5k anyway but im finding it real hard to even think about parting with it even tho im having problems with it.

The problems with my eb,

* rough idle
* was spewing white smoke in idle
* doesnt start all the time
* i think the head gasket (and/or head) is screwed as the water is starting to mix with the oil hence the recon.
* heater doesnt work unless its a wam day =/
* the front L/H needs panel work.

As for the reason for the panel beatin work... Some idiot in a commodore had his left indicator on and turned right as i was overtakin... go figure :roll:

If its got tits or wheels... It'll cost you money

Whats the difference between a sheep and a holden?
I'd rather be caught pullin out the back of a sheep :D

Post subject: Re: Could really use some opinions...
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

Ninja wrote:
As for my EB im thinking of

* new head and/or gasket
* reconing the engine
* new radiator
* needs one side resprayed
* needs L/H headlight panel beaten
* buying new guards, bonnet and bumper
* new shocks front and back
* 4 new 235x40x15 tires
* re chrome my mags (if i can find a place)
* tint my windows

All that will probably cost me more than 5k anyway but im finding it real hard to even think about parting with it even tho im having problems with it.

The problems with my eb,

* rough idle
* was spewing white smoke in idle
* doesnt start all the time
* i think the head gasket (and/or head) is screwed as the water is starting to mix with the oil hence the recon.
* heater doesnt work unless its a wam day =/
* the front L/H needs panel work.

If the crash damage isn't too bad, it shouldn't cost you a fortune to fix all that. You can get your head gasket replaced and any head repairs done for less than $1,000 - much less if you are friends with someone handy with the tools!
The radiator is easy to replace; it's something you could tackle yourself if you like. A good rad can be bought for less than $250.
Are you on the perth e-series forum? Contact the resident panelbeater/painter (username craigelink) for an assessment of what you're up for bodywise.
Tint can be done for $250 or less; dunno about the heater but it shouldn't be much.
That leaves shockies (on special at Auto One now) and wheels/tyres (sweet used mags with good tyres will be cheaper than new tyres and re-chroming!)

When all is said and done, it's about what you can afford - if coming up with $5-6000 is no drama, it's far easier to grab a newer car. But if it's going to mean getting into debt, you're probably better off slowly fixing up the EB.

Good luck with it mate :)

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Honestly I'd go for the newer car. BA XT for 6k wont be too flash, so I'd probably look at either of the XRs, pick the one that you like more.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:45 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Hanni - BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

Personally I wouldnt spend the cash on the EB. I wouldnt go the BA coz as krisisdog said it wont be the best - might be ok but in my honest oppinion I would go the AU xr6 over the EL for the extra $100 if its in good nick. Even though there isnt all that much differance mechanically between the AU and the EL - the AU will most likely have less kms, wear and tear ect . . . . But as has been said its really up to you but I say either EL or AU, depending on your preferance on looks - EB isnt worth it to be honest and wait for the BA's to get a little cheaper and get a really good example for $6000

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:28 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

throw the eb to the wrecker for $300

then have a look at eh el/au xr's and go from there

the ba should have more grunt, but yer
need to see how many kms all 3 have done and condition of them

the el for that price i would have it is a manual and in really good nick

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:04 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 93 EB Falcon

WA, Australia

The crash damage was quoted out to be $150 for the panel beating on the frame but i need a new bumper/guard and bonnet which is only gunna cost $250 and that gets me a 2nd guard (current one has a little rust damage) and to paint all that plus my passenger doors rear L/H panel and spoiler its going to cost approx $1000 (thats the quote anyway)...

As for the head (or gasket) depends what it is will be either $200+/- (gasket) or $1200+/- (gasket and new head) and your right about the radiator, it was like $185 (maybe $285) for a new one as for the mags they are californian speedy's and i cant get them anymore (look like drag rims, will put pics up of my car 2moz) which is why i want to get them rechromed.

I got a phone call just as i was heading off to check out the AU... it got sold lol...

The EL is a manual and its only done 204k kms... gotta wait till monday to check it out tho.

The BA's im looking at have all done over 190k kms... the one i seen for 6k had done 194k and had some minor damage to the bootlid (needs to be replaced by the looks of things) i did see a white one for $7.5 that only had 141k kms and they all seem to be in good condition.

If its got tits or wheels... It'll cost you money

Whats the difference between a sheep and a holden?
I'd rather be caught pullin out the back of a sheep :D

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Here's a little hint....look under the bonnet, take the oil cap off and look inside....looks like stuff is covered in Vegimite, leave it there ( severe lack of servicing ), or looks clean, has had regular servicing.

Attachments:
File comment: Not regular servicing
IMGP2258_resize.JPG
IMGP2258_resize.JPG [ 190.61 KiB | Viewed 121 times ]
File comment: Regular servicing
IMGP3719.JPG
IMGP3719.JPG [ 370.44 KiB | Viewed 121 times ]
File comment: Not regular servicing
IMGP4349.JPG
IMGP4349.JPG [ 387.46 KiB | Viewed 116 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

First thing I did under the hood was look in the filler hole. It was silver.
Big plus.

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory SX TX

QLD, Australia

My opinion, Is keep the EB in the shed and do something with it later when you have the money. I love EB's. Nextly, I would by the EF-EL XR6 over an AU anytime, reason being is that they have the same HP but the AU is about half a Commodores weight heavier than the E-series equivalent. Your always going to end up with more bang for your buck with the E series over the AU as your not pushing as much lard around.

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Futura

TAS, Australia

dazza027 wrote:
My opinion, Is keep the EB in the shed and do something with it later when you have the money. I love EB's. Nextly, I would by the EF-EL XR6 over an AU anytime, reason being is that they have the same HP but the AU is about half a Commodores weight heavier than the E-series equivalent. Your always going to end up with more bang for your buck with the E series over the AU as your not pushing as much lard around.

Actually AU's are about as heavy as E-series vehicles. It's the B-series that were pushing towards 2 tons.

I don't really like the look of AU's as much as some other models, but they aren't as bad as some think in my opinion. Also the AU's 6 cylinder engines are a massive improvement over the E-series ones. They were worked over by Jaguar (back when Ford still owned them) and they now rev higher, smoother and are supposed to consume less fuel.

Also AU's have the MSL head gasket.

They also have better standard comforts (late mk1/mk2), like DTE, CD, steering wheel audio controls, ect.
And Smartshield, which is far more secure than Smartlock.

And if you're into safety stuff, 4 wheel ABS, 2 airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners, better side impact protection.

The mark 2 also gets bigger sway bars, 2 piston front brakes and bigger rotors, they brake a lot quicker and handle well.

If any of that helps.. :lol:
Don't get me wrong, I love E-series, I just think that the poor AU often gets incorrect representation as being a something of a failure. But they are a great car.

DCII LTD V8 - leather - low k's
1978 XC '1/2' 500 project 302C
BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I owned an AU for 7 years. It was lowered 2 inchs, had 17's, 2.5 inch exhaust, all the usual stuff. It weighed about 1800kgs and hence it was still a slug (we put it across a weighbridge so dont try to argue). My EB weighs a poofteenth more than 1550kgs and has all the same bits the AU had except the better balanced bottom end and cross drilled bolts thru the sump into the Main bearing caps. (Atleast thats where the ford mechanic said they went) and to be honest even with the extra bits like airbags and standard CD, Id have a lowered EB (or EL for that matter) with a nice motor over an AU almost everytime unless it was a black XR8 with a stove hot V8 and a V8 Supercar kit like what I was going to do to my AU until I had to sell it all off. While Im thinking about it, there is already a nice black AU XR8 with the supercar kit in Port Douglas. Needs a new coat of paint though.

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Where did you hear that the motors were worked on by Jag?
Its an MLS gasket, dunno if that was a typo or otherwise though.
99 model would be a series 1, so Smartlock.
Trip computer in an EL XR was optional I believe, if not, not hard to put one in there so you've got DTE there.
They have 4 wheel ABS, pass. airbag optional and std fitment on EL series 2 arent they? Which is what the EL in question would be. They have the seat belt pretensioners.
Like I said earlier, pick the better car, not just the newer one.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Futura

TAS, Australia

dazza027 wrote:
I owned an AU for 7 years. It was lowered 2 inchs, had 17's, 2.5 inch exhaust, all the usual stuff. It weighed about 1800kgs and hence it was still a slug (we put it across a weighbridge so dont try to argue). My EB weighs a poofteenth more than 1550kgs and has all the same bits the AU had except the better balanced bottom end and cross drilled bolts thru the sump into the Main bearing caps. (Atleast thats where the ford mechanic said they went) and to be honest even with the extra bits like airbags and standard CD, Id have a lowered EB (or EL for that matter) with a nice motor over an AU almost everytime unless it was a black XR8 with a stove hot V8 and a V8 Supercar kit like what I was going to do to my AU until I had to sell it all off. While Im thinking about it, there is already a nice black AU XR8 with the supercar kit in Port Douglas. Needs a new coat of paint though.

The AU Forte (which is what the XR is based on anyway) is 1515KG:
http://www.trueblueford.com/AU_Forte_Specifications.htm scroll down a way

krisisdog wrote:
Its an MLS gasket, dunno if that was a typo or otherwise though.
99 model would be a series 1, so Smartlock.
Trip computer in an EL XR was optional I believe, if not, not hard to put one in there so you've got DTE there.
They have 4 wheel ABS, pass. airbag optional and std fitment on EL series 2 arent they? Which is what the EL in question would be. They have the seat belt pretensioners.
Like I said earlier, pick the better car, not just the newer one.

Lol yeah, i meant to type MLS.

I know the one he posted was an early S1, but late S1 had smartshield.

S1 Fairmonts didn't have a passenger airbag as standard..

EL's had pretensioners?

And I wasn't insinuating that a newer car the better one. I was simply trying to point out that AU's aren't as crap as most people seem to think they are, they just don't very good..

I would any day pick an X or E series car, but for a daily I think an AU can be the better vehicle, and don't look too bad with a few bits done to them in my opinion.

Here's where I got the info from (someone posted it from elsewhere to Fordmods).

Also, I've skimmed through it again and it's only "some technology from Jaguar was input" which is in relation to the crank. My mistake, but I wasn't totally off the mark.

Quote:
Intech 6-cylinder new features Refinement and improved fuel economy are the highlights of the Intec engine series.

Intech features a new cylinder head with a lighter mass valve train and new 'high swirl', higher compression ratio (9.65 vs 9.35:1) combustion chambers. These promote fast, complete combustion which helps reduce emissions and fuel consumption, especially during 'lean cruise' above 80kph. Idle speed is reduced to 550rpm from 650. Single, conical valve springs replace the double units on the preceding engine.

The camshaft has low overlap for better combustion and lower emissions.

The previous multi-point electronic fuel injection system is upgraded to offer sequential firing of the fuel charge into each cylinder. New electronic distributorless ignition optimises ignition timing via a latest generation linear knock sensor.

Two major contributors to the quietness and freer revving qualities of Intech are its increased structural stiffness and its new crankshaft.

The stiffness is achieved through extra cylinder block ribbing and a new, rigid cast aluminium sump pan which is cross bolted through the main bearing caps, bolted to the transmission bell housing and is further braced with an internal steel ladder. Mounting of engine accessories directly to the block instead of via brackets also helps rigidity.

The crankshaft is a new, stiffer yet lighter, 8-counterweight design with some technology input from Jaguar. The inherent balance superiority of Falcon's in-line 6-cylinder layout over V6 means that the complication of balance shafts is superfluous.

Engine durability is afforded with new design silicone gaskets sealing the camcover and the sump pan as well as a triple-layered steel head gasket. The steel gasket helps reduce noise and emissions by minimising bore distortion and crevice volume and improving piston ring seating.

Pistons are low clearance and are a lighter, shorter skirt design with a teflon-based coating and low tension rings for reduced friction. Their connecting rods are also new and lighter.

Intech has a 'Smart Start' feature which prevents the starter motor operating and risking damage trying to start the engine if it is already running. This is achieved via appropriate EEC-5 engine management logic.

Intech's unique 'limp home' mode senses coolant loss and cuts out cylinders as required. The firing cylinders are alternated to ensure as even a temperature in the engine as possible during this mode when it virtually runs as an air-cooled unit.

Intech introduces the next generation low viscosity oil to local engines. The 5W30 synthetic oil incorporates new technology to lubricate in hot and cold climate conditions while reducing friction and therefore aiding efficiency.

A new flexible decoupler between the exhaust manifold and a new catalytic converter adds smoothness by enabling a lower engine idle speed by suppressing exhaust idle boom and by damping exhaust-driven vibrations across the rev range.

Lower emission results from a more efficient and durable three way catalytic converter.

DCII LTD V8 - leather - low k's
1978 XC '1/2' 500 project 302C
BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

krisisdog wrote:

The AU engines weren't 'worked on' by Jag directly, Jag was involved in the development of some of the improvements on the AU engine. It was a part of Fords advertising campaign when the AU was released, 'I'm driving along with no bottom radiator hose...... blah blah' (Anyone remember who it was in that ad?)

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Didnt the AU have alternating cylinder firing when there was a catastrophic failure in the cooling system??? If so, then that is techonology straight from Mclaren Mercedes as they have a system like that for when the car is stationary, at least thats what Martin Brundle said a few years ago.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next