Fordmods Logo

Creeking/Grinding sound on initial acceleration? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Creeking/Grinding sound on initial acceleration?
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Does anyone have any idea as to why my EL Falcon makes an awful creeking/grinding sound on initial acceleration? It only happens once after the car is started (wont do it again until it's turned off then started up again) and will only do it while in gear (not in neutral or park)... it is fine if I put into drive or reverse and let it idle but as soon as I touch the accelerator I hear the noise which seems to come from under the bonnet on the passenger side.

It doesn't matter whether it's hot or cold although the sound seems to be more exaggerated when it's quite cold, and it will only do it one time after the car is started. I can turn the car off at a set of lights and turn it back on and it will do it again when I take off, it doesn't seem to matter if the car is in a straight line or if i'm turning although it sometimes seems more exaggerated when pulling away from a curb.

one other thing is that when turning the engine off something in the engine bay seems to make a crackling/sizzling sound? it is hard to localize where the sound is coming from and I only seem to be able to hear it with the bonnet up? however I don't think it's related to the other sound I am experiencing although I may be wrong.

The car has only done 99,920km and drives like it's brand new. I am clueless? any ideas on the sounds I am experiencing?

here is a video with the audio of what I am talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqgscBg3yk0 I turned the car off during the video and started it again because the sound wasn't very loud the first time... you can hear the sound best at 0:50 on the video; when I pulled away from the curb sharply. I apoligize for how loud the audio is, the camera was next to the airbox.

any idea's/ suggestions would be much appreciated, cheers.

Post subject: Re: Creeking/Grinding sound on initial acceleration?
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Sure it's not the accessories drive belt or the bearings in the idler/tensioner?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:49 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

thanks for your suggestions, I will investigate during my 100,000km service and have a look at what you suggested, I hope it's something as simple as a bearing in one of the pulleys on the fan belt.

EDIT:

Took my car to a mechanics yesterday for a general inspection of everything seeings as my car has just clocked 100,000km and the only thing they could find wrong was a worn bush and seal for the extension housing on the transmission... the car drives smoother now but still have no diagnosis on what that bloody sound is?

2nd EDIT:

I have now been to 3 mechanics and all of them seem to be clueless as to what the sound is and really haven't offered any useful advice. I myself am starting to think it's something to do with the ABS module as it says in the owners manual that it does a self test after 5km/h and the noise does seem to come from the general area where the ABS module lives, so would it be a good idea to take out the ABS fuse and see if the car still makes the sound? if so where exactly is the ABS fuse located? (doesn't seem to be in either of the fuse boxes?)

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:48 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

turns out it was the ABS module while doing it's self test... The same day I replaced my pads and rotors the master cylinder went meaning when I got a new one I had to do a brake fluid flush and the ABS has been nowhere near as noisy since.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]