Fordmods Logo

Crow cam : mild performance 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Crow cam : mild performance
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:52 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon GLI

WA, Australia

I've ordered a 'mild performance' crow camshaft for an AU series 2 (believe it or not, this makes a difference). It's the one higher than the 'high torque' camshaft which is also available.

I'm thinking to increase the car's compression since the head is currently seperate form the motor (EF motor, AU head). Along these lines, how far do you guys recommend shaving the head (in thou and in mm please). I'd like a boost in compression, but am not sure how far to take it. I'm already going to use the steel AU head gasket which apparently already raises compression somewhat.

Also, is there anyone out there running the same cam in their car? If so, what sort of gains can I expect?

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

hey newbi dude! welcome.. ive got a stage 2 crow cam... i think thats the 1 u got.. i got 10rwkws over the stock 4.0l cam.. go to the performance posts underneath this topic to c all the other mods ive done ... page 4..

Post subject: Pretty nice
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Sounds like a mildly modded car, Fordfreak EF, which is what I'm planning to do to mine, but probably to a lesser extent than you. I also own an EF with Tickford dual fuel. I'm under the impression that whatever cam works for petrol works for gas too. It's just that the gas system restricts the airflow a bit, hence not quite as much power when modified.

I have an AU series 2 head which I am going to fit to my EF, and I hope to get the head shaved a bit (any recommendation how much?), as well as the stage 2 Crow cam (part no: 2232549). I think this should be good for a 15kw gain, depending on how much exhaust flow it prefers as I still run a standard exhaust, for the time being.

One question, to fordfreak EF, or anyone in the know-how. With a stage 2 crow cam (remember my car is on gas) is it worth porting the head? If so, do you port both inlet and exhaust holes, and how much porting would give benefits?
I've heard porting is a bit over-rated and that all it tends to do is shift the power band higher in the rev-range. the power-band the camshaft is optimised for is 1000-3800rpm. So, I'm still undecided. I'll leave it to you.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i do agree with the overaated tag a lil in relation to the head porting... prob could of got better bang for buck in a larger cam n unichip tuning to suit the bigger cam... yes i do believe both the inlet and exhaust ports are ported for more performance than stock.. my car runs the cam tuned for 98 ron fuel... im not quiet sure howd go on gas...

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

i'd be checking in regards to the rocker gear etc - i know there have/are issues with fitting AU heads to E-series engines :?

i've also got a stage 2 crow cam - haven't bothered with headwork or anything for this one - next head will have some work done, but it'll be getting a lot of other things too :wink:

R.I.P. Scotty

Post subject: issues?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

What sort of issues are you talking about? The head will fit straight onto the e-series block, and the only thing that could be of some concern is the timing chain, but even that won't be an issue.

I'm fitting an AU series 2 head, with AU rocker gear and camshaft included. So as far as that goes I won't have any issues.

I'll probably get some cleaning done to the ports, I'll first have to enquire about prices.

Thankyou for the info so far...

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

so you've got the AU-based crow cam? i misread it & thought you had the EF/EL crow cam but were putting it in an AU head :?

R.I.P. Scotty

Post subject: conflicting info
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

The cam I ordered is for an AU series 2, apparently. I ordered it from Chris Mills performance. According to Crow Cams online the cam I ordered is for an EF-EL, but according to the catalogue Chris Mills have the same part number applies to AU series 2. So I'm thinking there's an error on the web page. He also said he sold plenty more to other AU customers who were very happy with it.

Complicated business isn't it? We'll see how we go.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]