well i am not too sure bout anything pre EF but anything PAST EF is electronic

1994 ford fairmont ghia - Currently 302 with T5 - Work in progress :P

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

janek wrote:

p.s. has anyone noticed in an au if u put the car in N from D, cruise engaged, it just revs out! scary s**t!

so just for kicks anyone wanna set the cruise at 80, knock it into N then back into D and see how it goes? ;)

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 Ford EF Fairmont Ghia Sedan

VIC, Australia

I wouldn't say that too loudly around here as somone MIGHT just try it :lol: :wink:

1994 ford fairmont ghia - Currently 302 with T5 - Work in progress :P

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

On pre-EF there's a control unit and vacuum pump in behind the windscreen washer bottle on passenger side - this has a vacuum hose that comes across to a vacuum actuator near the Brake Booster on the driver side - this operates a cable to the throttle. On the vac hose from the control unit to the actuator there's a tee piece which directs another vac hose thru to the pedal area. On Auto car there's a combined vac/electric switch on the brake pedal (presumably this is just doubled up on the clutch pedal for manual?). On Automatic car the cruise definitely is a vehicle speed hold and I'd just about bet my left nut it's the same for manual.

With EF there's a combined control unit/electric actuator in the same position near the brake booster where the vacuum actuator is on the earlier cars - and there's definitely some sort of electric switch into the brake master cylinder. I don't know what's on the pedals of the EF - presumably electric switches. I also don't know if EL and later cars are the same as EF.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
(presumably this is just doubled up on the clutch pedal for manual?). On Automatic car the cruise definitely is a vehicle speed hold and I'd just about bet my left nut it's the same for manual.

Spot on!

EL has same unit as EF, cruise is disengaged by brake light switch on these models, I know this because when my brake light switch failed, cruise wouldn't let go, scary stuff.:shock:

The swith you are refering to on the brake master cylinder is the for the brake fail warning light.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

madmax wrote:
Greenmachine wrote:
(presumably this is just doubled up on the clutch pedal for manual?). On Automatic car the cruise definitely is a vehicle speed hold and I'd just about bet my left nut it's the same for manual.

Spot on!

EL has same unit as EF, cruise is disengaged by brake light switch on these models, I know this because when my brake light switch failed, cruise wouldn't let go, scary stuff.:shock:

The swith you are refering to on the brake master cylinder is the for the brake fail warning light.

FAARK!! - that's scary s**t for sure! The earlier vacuum operated system is pretty much failsafe in that you do physically break the vacuum circuit to the actuator so the cruise control loses any authority over the accelerator - but those later electric systems seem to have lost one level of failsafe. On the earlier system, I guess if that dropout valve/switch was rigged wrong you could be in strife but it's not quite the same as one failed component making the system fail-engaged.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

I find my AUII cruise just cant compare with me for fuel economy. Especially if there are medium grade hills involved.
I dont use it much as a result... just enough to give my leg a rest on the long trips.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ahh - yes, that's something people should be aware of - Cruise Control is actually very bad for fuel economy - an awful lot of people seem to think it's supposed to be best for economy but that's simply not true (get someone else to drive the car and put it in Cruise while you watch the accelerator).

For fuel economy you'd be best off having a simple throttle hold - I've always thought the factory Cruise should have had this option.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Ahh - yes, that's something people should be aware of - Cruise Control is actually very bad for fuel economy - an awful lot of people seem to think it's supposed to be best for economy but that's simply not true (get someone else to drive the car and put it in Cruise while you watch the accelerator).

For fuel economy you'd be best off having a simple throttle hold - I've always thought the factory Cruise should have had this option.

Naa looking at the trip computer the cruise control is always better than me for fuel economy. It would be becasue the car is always holding the same speed, not speeding up and slowing down all the time.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I've got cruise control on my EF manual. When I first got it I played with everything, I don't reccomend knocking it into neutral and hitting resume! For those who couldnt guess, it races straight to redline. A bit of fun is to set it to 100 then change down to 2nd and hit resume - womp, back in the seat you go :lol: (so yes obviously it goes off speed and not rpm)

As others have said I found mine CC has a lead foot! It doesn't ease the pedal down, it practically floors it which is obviously bad for economy. Anything other than a dead flat straight road I don't bother using it and actually the plastic clip on the cable has broken off now and I haven't bothered replacing it. I drove 3000ks to Qld and back (750ks of which was without stopping for a break) without cruise control and didn't get a sore foot - toughen up you pansies :P

ImageImage

Last edited by Hyena on Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

on hilly country though it's going to hold speed no matter what, consuming more fuel than most drivers who always slow down a bit for a hill, or give it more accelerator before the hill to pick up more speed.
So cruise will use more fuel on hilly roads but on flat sections, it's pedal control will be far better than a humans.
A friend of mine had a NA ages back with a very annoying problem with cruise. you cairns guys would know about the palmerston hwy between innisfail and atherton and some of the hills on that section of road. Anyway this car would hold speed up the hill, come down the other side picking up speed, and then hold the increased speed up the next hill...

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Spork wrote:
Greenmachine wrote:

Naa looking at the trip computer the cruise control is always better than me for fuel economy. It would be becasue the car is always holding the same speed, not speeding up and slowing down all the time.

??? - the way it holds that speed is by jockeying the accelerator - best for economy is to hold steady accelerator and let the vehicle speed up (down slope) and slow down (up slopes) as the road level changes - within reason of course. I might add that your result is from the geography (WA is a pretty flat place) rather than a fundamantal efficiency of the cruise system - you might not agree with that statement about WA being flat - but go elsewhere in the country and you'll see what I mean.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

I use my cruise all the time, up hills and down them, 40 zones and 110 zones. However I am not using it to achieve better fuel economy, best device ever invented for avoiding a speeding fine. Thats the economy im after.

I don't usually let the cruise do big speed increases. I take the speed up to the speed limit and then hit cruise, if its a small speed change, say 10kph then I will use the accelerate button.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3