cruise control on a manual 

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: cruise control on a manual
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

just how well does it work, if you start to loose speed going up a steep hill you need to change down a gear manually obviously then resume cruise control once you get over the top??? Has anyone got cruise on a manual - do you use it much?

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Mines an auto but have messed around with a 5spd vectra that had cruise...

Yeah if you hit a hill and its in 4th, it will labour her until the cows come home (prolly not too much of an issue in a torquey falcon). As soon as you hit the clutch it disengaged cruise (but left it in the 'on' mode, if that makes sense) so just change gear and hit 'set' again....

The real question is.... does anyone really use cruise that much?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

that's what I thought ... um yeah I use it all the time, I do plenty of country driving and it makes it much more pleasurable to drive and not have to worry about speed creep, cept obviously when you go through a town ... i would never have a car without it!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

VIC, Australia

to mm understanding (or this could be a different thing)
but with manuals, it holds rpm, not actual speed?

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 6 images

WA, Australia

O(nly on long country drives..
The downside, if you set it to say 110, when you go up a steep hill it will maintain that speed regardless of the load, abit nerve racking at 140 & goin thru bindoon..

Ford.... POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

According to the owners handbook you can regain the previously set speed after a gear shift by pressing the "RES/COAST" (That's for S1 EFs, EFIIs and up have different labels on the buttons but I'm not sure if the actual functions change) button so long as the vehicle speed is above 40km/h.

I try and use the cruise control on the Fairmont but the only road I travel on regularly where it's useful (Great Eastern Highway) is in a constant state of roadworks and the limts are all over the place. No to mention it's a pain having to disengage and then reengage it when you come up to the old tossers who insist on doing 2km/h on *every* road they travel on.

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Some older cruize controls found it easier to electronicly monitor the tacho rather than the wheel speed : Hence yeah manuals used to just monitor tach.

But now days they *all* run off the VSS Sender. The Manuals just have an extra 2 switches (or one switch and one vac switch) so that pressing clutch kicks it out.

I use cruise all the time : I have a 4 spd auto eb, but I also used it all the time on my XD (4.1 FI LPG Manual, 5.8 GRA LPG T5). Was so nice to use. And on a 6/8 you really dont have to worry about it dying. If the hill is that steep then you shouldnt be on cruise anyway.

Nigel

Post subject: man cruise control
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

yea i hav cruise control on my 5 speed ef xr6, it auto turns it self off if clutch, brake or acceleratore are pushed, so u just puch the rest/coast button before and after gear change. it is also tru that it read's of revs not wheel speed. very usefull i use mine all the time specially on double demerit days on the high way. hope that helps. 8-)

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ive got cruise control in my xr8 and i regularly go up the hill on the western ring road just at pascoe vale rd i take it at 100kmh with cruise control on and in 5th gear and the revs stay the same as im going up and the car shows no sign of struggling however when going down hill it soemtimes doesnt hold the speed down. in my futura i used to have which was auto it would hold speed even going down hill

series3 xr8 5 speed manual, pacemaker extractors, 3' exhaust, lowered cold air intake, k&n filter, interior, 3.9s
13.9584 @ 98.51 mph 1.9447 60 ft
188.9rwkw 525nm torque
AU2te50 lowered twin 2.5 inch exhaust

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

can someone suggest what brand and model of aftermarket cruise to buy for an EB?
sorry to boycott the thread.happy

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 80 series cruiser

NSW, Australia

i have a eb 5-speed factory cruise, and it reads off the speedo not the revs, i use it heaps on the freeway/highway and wouldnt go without it now.

and i know it reads off the speedo cause if you change back to forth and hit resume it will go back up to whatever speed it was at, not what revs it was at.

Thanks to Crescent Motors, Liverpool.
Call Joe on (02) 9600 6229.

I dont own a Landcruiser, it's a Maverick recovery vehicle!!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

so, if you were to get an auto to manual conversion, what would happen with the cruise control? would it be hard to make ti work?

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

i use the cruse in mine all the time with a 3.45 diff it powers over just about any hill i never need to change it out of 5th gear even overtake in 5th.

not hard to modify your cruse when changing auto to manual tranny, just run another switch in series with your brake cutout switch on your clutch.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:04 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Escape

VIC, Australia

svo347 wrote:
if you set it to say 110, when you go up a steep hill it will maintain that speed regardless of the load

I think thats going a bit far, if the hill is steep enough and you have a load on, the car would lose speed for sure.

I've driven an AU 2 5speed ute on cruise a number of times, if you are going up a hill and the speed drops more than 30kmph the cruise control cuts out.

Speed doesn't kill......it's the sudden STOP that kills.

i sopurt puLik edYakashon i jUts whISh i dun pReP skoul

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Gaz wrote:
so, if you were to get an auto to manual conversion, what would happen with the cruise control? would it be hard to make ti work?
voids wrote:
not hard to modify your cruse when changing auto to manual tranny, just run another switch in series with your brake cutout switch on your clutch.
The clutch switch needs to be in parallel with the switch on the brake master cylinder.
More info on this at http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6802

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next