Fordmods Logo

Cruise control wiring into EF Gli 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Cruise control wiring into EF Gli
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 843

Joined: 20th Feb 2010

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Elizibif Norf (Local Spelling!!)
SA, Australia

Hi All,
I am looking to fit cruise control into the Old Girl. I have all I need apart from the wiring as the povo Glis need an extra part of the wiring harness added.. Have gone through the tech doc and inquired about the harness availability through Papa Smurf but sadly no longer available. However I can get what I need from the same wreck I got the rest of the stuff off.
My questions are: What wiring is it I need to remove and where does it all connect? Obviously the cruise module connecter and the brake pressure switch connection, but how far back do I need to go. Does it all end at the main firewall connector or is there more I need inside the car? As much info as possible and/or pics would be hugely appreciated.
(Edit: Also is the E series wring the same as the AU? As there are a few AU wrecks with cruise there also)
Thanks in advance
Euan

 

_________________

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.


Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruise control wiring into EF Gli
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 843

Joined: 20th Feb 2010

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Elizibif Norf (Local Spelling!!)
SA, Australia

Anyone?

 

_________________

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.


Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruise control wiring into EF Gli
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:05 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 4093

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Seaford State:
VIC, Australia

Have a read of that, theres a wiring diagram on it, sure its hard to read, but I managed to use it in 07'

ford-interior-f14/installing-cruise-control-on-non-abs-vehicle-t23377.html

 

_________________

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruise control wiring into EF Gli
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 843

Joined: 20th Feb 2010

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Elizibif Norf (Local Spelling!!)
SA, Australia

Krytox wrote:
Have a read of that, theres a wiring diagram on it, sure its hard to read, but I managed to use it in 07'

ford-interior-f14/installing-cruise-control-on-non-abs-vehicle-t23377.html
Thanks, that was extremely helpful.

 

_________________

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.


Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruise control wiring into EF Gli
Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:54 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 496

Joined: 14th Sep 2011

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

Hi,

I would try to get a harness section form a wrecker and replace it. My EL GLi has provision for cruise because it has ABS. The correct harness will be neat and reliable. You will also need to put another switch on the master cylinder. This is a back-up as the brake light switch is not very reliable and it is the thing to stop the cruise.

Regards 96 ELGLi

 

_________________

Regards 96ELGli

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruise control wiring into EF Gli
Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:05 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 4093

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Seaford State:
VIC, Australia

The harness is the enitre enginebay loom (minus engine/ecu) its a bit of work replacing all the lighting and power just to get the cruise working.

Its far easier to snip one off an fairmont (of GLi with ABS) and run the 6 or so wires to the module and branch off the master cyl switch.

The other benefits of the whole loom would be coolant level, washer level and also provision for ambient temp so adding climate control would be easier in the future.

 

_________________

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruise control wiring into EF Gli
Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 843

Joined: 20th Feb 2010

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Elizibif Norf (Local Spelling!!)
SA, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

I would try to get a harness section form a wrecker and replace it. My EL GLi has provision for cruise because it has ABS. The correct harness will be neat and reliable. You will also need to put another switch on the master cylinder. This is a back-up as the brake light switch is not very reliable and it is the thing to stop the cruise.

Regards 96 ELGLi
I already have all the hardware switches etc, it's just the wiring I lack.
Krytox wrote:
The harness is the enitre enginebay loom (minus engine/ecu) its a bit of work replacing all the lighting and power just to get the cruise working.
Not my idea of a good time :)
Krytox wrote:
Its far easier to snip one off an fairmont (of GLi with ABS) and run the 6 or so wires to the module and branch off the master cyl switch.

The other benefits of the whole loom would be coolant level, washer level and also provision for ambient temp so adding climate control would be easier in the future.
That is the plan.

Thanks guys for your input. I might even see if there is a tech doc in the making here.

 

_________________

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.


Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names