Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:05 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I have no form of CAI.
I have a 90 degree 3" stainless mandrel bend off my TB, a bit of flexi pipe, and a short bit of 3" stainless that the K&N pod attaches too.
Proven to sound good, and perform better then a K&N panel in stock ED airbox.
And for the magical goodness of cold air at the strip, I take out a headlight.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Taking air from under the front bumper defeats the purpose of chasing "cold air" when its like 6" or less, above the stinking hot bitumen.
Just you get down near the bitumen on a hot day, just 6" away, and see if its "cool". NOT.
To add to that, what if you hit a big puddle of water with it?, a good way to bend conrods, eh?
Why'd you think Ford put it at bonnet height?
You gotta think when making performance mods that work properly.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:26 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
Taking air from under the front bumper defeats the purpose of chasing "cold air" when its like 6" or less, above the stinking hot bitumen.
Just you get down near the bitumen on a hot day, just 6" away, and see if its "cool". NOT.
To add to that, what if you hit a big puddle of water with it?, a good way to bend conrods, eh?

i guess you have a point.. but have you felt the of the front rad support and bonnet on a hot day i would think that the bonnet would be as hot as the ground..
the only difference is that there would more air going to the cai under the bumper than the one under the bonnet because the one under the bonnet doesnt really get much air thrown at it due to the small gap between the grill and bonnet...

and i wouldnt be to worried about water unless im driving through a 1 mtr puddle at 80 kmph .. if water did get in the bottom intake it would have to flow up hill and unless it was forced into the intake constantly it would drain out the drain hole in the bottom of the air box
thats my thoughts anyway!

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I wouldn't go that low either,under the headlight with a $1.00 bit of pvc pipe

cheap and good

[b]BANNED[\b]

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont II

VIC, Australia

There all good air intakes

My sisters bf done it to his ef threw the gaps on the front bar

for the ba ^^^^ does that run down or do you have to take off the headlight for it to be working??

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Just under the head light...

vik...hence the angle they are cut at...

[b]BANNED[\b]

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont II

VIC, Australia

so how does the air get to them if the headlight is in the way???

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

There is plenty of room for air with the gap between the bumper and light

vik...and when the car is moving,air flow increases :lol: :lol: :lol:

[b]BANNED[\b]

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:19 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:

if your air dam is 6" (150mm) off the bitumen how many defects do you have ? that would make about V8 supercar ride height. < illegal, very illegal. the lowest point of my car is the hot dog > 6" < LEGAL. if your talking about functional LEGAL performance mods..

it would take the whole airbox to fill up with water for it to suck any detrimental amount of water, as believe it or not water IS heavier than air, & it doesn't flow uphill very well, it's proven. i still have 6 straight conrods. they make water injection kits to btw...

no dramas about voicing opinions.

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:22 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

this is the compromised solution untill i can get a mandrel bent bit of staino or chromolly pipe to get the pod down into the airbox.
i guess it gets a good crossflow with the cosworth vent in bonnet.

hows the pvc pipe goin with the heat ?

i still want to see more!

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:55 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:

Actually mate, that's not entirely true. The whole point of a CAI is to suck cold air while the car is moving, more often than not, on a day that is hot enough to heat up that much, the air will be hot anyway. On cooler days, where there is cold air, travelling at the speeds at which the "ram air" effect works, heat rising off the ground shouldn't make much difference at all.

Also I think it's worth noting that a lot of factory "performance" cars have CAI inlets in almost an identical position, do you think they'd bother if it didn't work?

Vik...

How did you seal the pipes you put into the airbox? Thinking of doing a similar thing, but not sure how to seal it off... Was thinking silicone, but I dunno....

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:44 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

true 5tumpy.
nothing wrong with silicone :P it just about holds my motor together heh copper silicone & ultra blue.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Well, we had a heap of rain once back at the end of 1990. I had to replace several engines in the EA mpfi's. The people had run through some water, that splashed up high enough to suck it in, and bend the rods.
Maybe it doesn't rain that hard down there.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:02 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

well it's not monsoon-like, guess you have to take these things into account on your own application. i've seen people hang pods outside the front bar, looks wank & wouldn't get a positive charge.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

If your pipe is going upwards, it's virtually impossible for the water to get through, unless you have the intake going into the top of the airbox. Water, like everything else on earth, obeys the laws of gravity.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2