Fordmods Logo

Custom C.A.I 

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Custom C.A.I
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:31 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

NSW, Australia

I know i'm new here & haven't read through the 260 odd pages of threads but i thought i would start one about custom/home job cold air induction.
I know theres more out there whats on show at the moment & would like to see them. so get them up!
(no ssv or pre-fabricated retail setups)
Image[/img]

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!

thats a very similar set up to mine, exept i am running an Modded XH snorkel and a K@N panel filter.

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:04 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi

that looks pretty good..
im in the middle of running 2x2" hoses from my bumper bar into the bottom of the air box. i have already got the pod filter in the box so i just need some extra cold air into the box...

ill post up some pics when i get it all togather....

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:13 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

fordzatmyplace wrote:
BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!

thats a very similar set up to mine, exept i am running an Modded XH snorkel and a K@N panel filter.

so you have the 5" pipe running from under the guard to your k&n panel & snorkel ?

the idea with one inlet is to get a positive charge of air, i don't think you would get with two inlets. i know the ba uses two inlets but thats still only a stock standard setup.

Did the panel make a huge difference ? did you upgrade in stages or do the whole lot at once ? it's hard to guage independantly what made the biggest difference, the pod or the cai as i installed all at the same time. i did run briefly with an exposed pod but had heat issues.standard panel & box went better than exposed pod though thats for sure.

look forward to seeing those pics n more troyman.

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

vibr8n wrote:
fordzatmyplace wrote:
BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!

so you have the 5" pipe running from under the guard to your k&n panel & snorkel ?

the idea with one inlet is to get a positive charge of air, i don't think you would get with two inlets. i know the ba uses two inlets but thats still only a stock standard setup.

Did the panel make a huge difference ? did you upgrade in stages or do the whole lot at once ? it's hard to guage independantly what made the biggest difference, the pod or the cai as i installed all at the same time. i did run briefly with an exposed pod but had heat issues.standard panel & box went better than exposed pod though thats for sure.

nah, i wan't keen on cutting any metal as i didn't have the tools at the time, instead i am using a XH snorkel that has been fibre-glassed into the lid of a EL airbox.

I built mine up over a few months

Firstly I just had a XH snorkel with stock airbox. Didn't notice anything
Then I fitted my modded EL box with the same XH snorkel. Noticed A Bit
Lastly I fitted an EL K@N panel filter (i'm gonna get flamed for this) but in my case i had a definate improvment with the K@N, not big, but noticable

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:30 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

only the hardest of try hards would flame you over that i think. it's proven that a K&N panel WILL increase performance over a stocka, anyone who argues can start pouring the millions of dollars that K&N did into their R&D into their back yard falcon THEN prove me wrong.
People have to get over the hump that "increase in performance/drivability" doesn't mean "i just dropped a second off my et"
all the little things add up. maybe not to much but it's still an edge over the other 5,000,000 stockasarock falcons gettin around with red p's on them tryin to run everyone they pull up next to at lights.
that pod in a box might not do much from stock, but when you put that cam in, bigger pump & reg, you will notice the difference. no all of us can spend $10,000 on their $2,000-$10,000 falcon. or any car for that matter. nothing happens overnight.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Yeah i agree.

I just couldn't believe how small the EA-ED MPI box was compared to the EL when i put both side by side

^^^ What He Said

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:58 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

oh yes big difference, i had to move my charcoal canister lines to get it to fit in. & it still touches the a/c line.

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:27 pm 

NSW, Australia

hi
ok finished mine off today..
i used 2x 2"flexable hoses and i cut 2 holes in the bottom of the air box and inner guard with a hole saw..

chopped up a au snorkle and mounted it upside down on the bumper lip ..

but for some reason i cant attach pics all i get is a blank grey screen?????
its been like this for a couple of days...
so i will try post them up later sorry....

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:52 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

sounds intresting, can't wait to see it, and more.
the snorkle would tend to suck up less water to i have a few wet issues with the brake dam setup but only in heavy traffic & under hard acceleration. i get a few drops of water into the box but so did my stock ea box & the el box i bought still had a bit of water in it.

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:17 pm 

NSW, Australia

ok here are some pics...

Last edited by TROYMAN on Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:45 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

that looks good.. nice n streamline air flow.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:29 pm 

NSW, Australia

well i cant say that theres a big improvement in performance
but sinse i have fitted a au motor into my ea i have had a few issues with pinging and after fitting a el ecu and knock sensor ..i still had some issues with pinging when the engine heated up so now i have fitted the cai i have noticed that the cooler air has almost stoped my pinging problem.. so there is definatly an advantage.. :D

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:41 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

obviously a good thing heh. nice dyno result to troyman.

where are the rest of the home made cai's but ?
i wana see agg pipe, race tape, & cable ties in action !

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:52 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon FGX XR8

NSW, Australia

http://fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42598

go this link and youll see mine. 90mm pvc-very cheap and very effiective.

EL Falcon XR6, 2.5in exhaust, extractors, ported throttle body, sequential intake, CMS stage 2 head. Tickford cam!!!!!
"158 RWKW"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQSNeJmXsk (video of my XR6 on the Dyno)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next