Fordmods Logo

Custom Exhaust & Extractors 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Custom Exhaust & Extractors
Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU falcon

VIC, Australia

How many times has that been modified? How well does it flow? Certainly is unique on a falcon, I guess that's what we aim for then modifying our cars.

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Welcome to Toongabbie motorsports :P

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

DormanAU wrote:
How many times has that been modified? How well does it flow? Certainly is unique on a falcon, I guess that's what we aim for then modifying our cars.

Hasn't been modified since I made it. Flows very well.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

any news on building your pipes? or scraped the idea

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford XH Ute

ACT, Australia

Still assembling bit's and pieces! I got the XH UTE pretty cheap and it has needed a lot of touching up to make it a bit nicer to drive around it.

Been doing TIG at TAFE, so thinking this would be a cool thing to put my new TIG skills to work on and as I can basically build this sort of thing myself, I don't think I would be able to bring myself to pay for off-the-shelf gear :-)!

I picked up an entire SS VY Commodore Exhaust from the CAT's back for $70, like almost new, and was thinking it would be cool to use that.

I was considering swapping the EL manifold onto the engine (mine has the ED log style manifold) and I can grab the entire head/ECU and other asorted parts required for the dual runner manifold swap for only $100 or so. So was thinking of setting up a spare head and building the extractors on that - maybe even whip up a steam-pipe turbo manifold for fun.

Still thinking of maybe just copying Pacemaker's, still probably don't know enough about exhaust design to make something of my own design.

Still thinking of possibly going with the following................

Extractors - 3 to 2 to 1. Group (6 -1)(5-2)(3-4) - Try and keep the runners the same length.

Have read that I might be best of with 38mm primaries for Torque, 41mm if I am aiming for more top end power.

After the CAT was going to split the exhaust into 2 x 2.5" pipes (may as well use the SS Exhaust) with 2 muffles, then run the dual pipes into the single rear muffler with dual tail-pipes.

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Sounds like fun. Apprentice boily? If you want more pics of my set up just pm me your email and I can email you more photos. If your gonna build your own go wild.

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

What diameter is the ss exhaust? Dual 2.5" is big for an N/A six, even a highly worked one. I was going to go dual 2" which would approx flow somewhere between 2.5" and 3" singles, but didn't have the spare time/money (as wanted single 2.5" muffler after cat then twin 2" glasspacks) so just went with 2.5.

I figure if I rebuild the engine to where it needs more than 2.5" I'll have the spare time and money to whip up a new exhaust.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If its original I would think it would be twin 2 1/4. For v8's twin 2 1/4 is ideal but a 6 is different.

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford XH Ute

ACT, Australia

Quote:
Sounds like fun. Apprentice boily? If you want more pics of my set up just pm me your email and I can email you more photos. If your gonna build your own go wild.

No, do it as more of a hobby - Have done lots of MIG welding in the past and was pretty keen on expanding my skills, so enrolled in a 30 week TIG course at TAFE in the evenings at TAFE - Vertical and Overhead fillet welds f£cking suck!!!

Just got the Pulse TIG to go and I am done - but I have not liked the Inverter's they use (Lincoln Invertec's) and have instead used a prehistoric 3-phase Lincoln Electric, which dosen't have a pulse function on it, which sucks, because I will have to switch machines for the final for pieces.

This is some of the work I have done in the past - this particular project is on hold until I get more space :-)!

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/to ... ame-rails/

Quote:
What diameter is the ss exhaust? Dual 2.5" is big for an N/A six, even a highly worked on

I haven't put the veriner's on it, so not 100% sure - will check tomorrow. I think it is fairly common to ditch the factory exhaust an upgrade (local exhaust shop said he does one a week) so would be probably thinking it must be 2.25" then, seem a bit pointless to upgrade past dual 2.5"s?

Price isn't really an issue for me, SS exhaust cost next to nothing and is pretty much new and I will be making the rest of it with off-the-shelf mandrels and straight through pipes, stuff is cheap as, well compared to stainless steel and alluminium mandrel bends.

But.................is there an issue with over-sizing the exhaust, i.e. running a dual system with a more or less stock 6?

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

I'd agree with dual 2.5" being too big on a NA i6 motor, even if it was very worked in NA form it would lose quite a bit of gas velocity. Most guys upgrade to a single 2.5" on the NA i6's, whereas a few of the more serious NA i6's out there are using a single 3" system.

I did a bit of rough calculating on dual pipe vs single pipe cross sectional areas a week or so ago (and this is kind of adding to what Skidder was getting at with dual 2" pipes).. Can't remember exact figures and CBF'd using the calculator right now lol, but..

Dual 2.5" pipes had an area between a single 3.5" - 4"
Dual 2.25" pipes had an area between a single 3" - 3.5"
Dual 2" pipes had an area between 2.75" - 3" pipe

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:03 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
I'd agree with dual 2.5" being too big on a NA i6 motor, even if it was very worked in NA form it would lose quite a bit of gas velocity. Most guys upgrade to a single 2.5" on the NA i6's, whereas a few of the more serious NA i6's out there are using a single 3" system.

I did a bit of rough calculating on dual pipe vs single pipe cross sectional areas a week or so ago (and this is kind of adding to what Skidder was getting at with dual 2" pipes).. Can't remember exact figures and CBF'd using the calculator right now lol, but..

Dual 2.5" pipes had an area between a single 3.5" - 4"
Dual 2.25" pipes had an area between a single 3" - 3.5"
Dual 2" pipes had an area between 2.75" - 3" pipe

If you want dual exhausts then copy the exhaust they used on the EB xr6 which was dual cat back then a 2.5in pipe over the rear. Surely there is someone here that can dig up photo's. BTW did you know the Brock falcons ran twin cats of each 3-1 collector of the extractors...

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2