Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: custom i6 upper intake manifold
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

interesting.... whats peoples thoughts??..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-CUSTOM-PLEN ... dZViewItem

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Can someone explain to me what these actually do for a motor? I have seen a few around but have no idea what it actually does.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:48 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

from the LOOKS of it, it seems that it will have a large body of air instantly available for combstion. However, this does not necessarily mean there will be enough air pressure to create good low down torque. Without seeing internal design, it is hard to know for sure, though I'd guess it is simply a rectangle that bolts onto the bottom half of your manifold. It would then mean the main benefits of the BBM manifold are gone. Without testing it, or even seeing it physically I cannot predict absolute benefits - however I would guess potential quality gains in the top end(provided your car can provide enough fuel to mix) and a loss of low down pickup. Good luck to whoever buys it, and hopefully it proves me wrong due to some internal flow characteristics that go unseen.

Happy motoring.

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon X-DEF

VIC, Australia

From what I understand, such an intake design would be best for a forced induction setup? Someone please correct me if I'm off the track.

Might be worth a look in the forced induction workshop threads.

Cheers.

250ci 4-speed XD S-Pack, XE S-Pack front bar & rear bumper, 14"x7" & 14"x8" Chevoit 5-slotters, 60mm drop, Fairlane interior, Clarion CD tuner, 4" & 6"x9"s, Pioneer amp.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

this would only work good in forced cars... NOT n/a ones

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

^^ thought so too... although i missed that statement on the forsale page.. unless it wasnt there...

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

MaTTeB wrote:
from the LOOKS of it, it seems that it will have a large body of air instantly available for combstion. However, this does not necessarily mean there will be enough air pressure to create good low down torque. Without seeing internal design, it is hard to know for sure, though I'd guess it is simply a rectangle that bolts onto the bottom half of your manifold. It would then mean the main benefits of the BBM manifold are gone. Without testing it, or even seeing it physically I cannot predict absolute benefits - however I would guess potential quality gains in the top end(provided your car can provide enough fuel to mix) and a loss of low down pickup. Good luck to whoever buys it, and hopefully it proves me wrong due to some internal flow characteristics that go unseen.

Happy motoring.

^^^ This post made me laugh.

To answer the question though, it is pretty much just to increase the plenum volume for forced induction engines. They dont gain anything from the BBM mechanism anyway.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
MaTTeB wrote:

Happy motoring.
yep... xr turbo's dont have BBM mechanism.. just a hollow bbm...

To answer the question though, it is pretty much just to increase the plenum volume for forced induction engines. They dont gain anything from the BBM mechanism anyway.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

Abit bloody expensive for a couple of pieces of alloy welded together.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: GLXR 6

WA, Australia

Custom plenums over std intake manifolds do make a difference when it comes to forced induction. Its the actual design that makes a difference..
Go have a look at those crazy VL turbos :)

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

stockstandard wrote:
MaTTeB wrote:

Happy motoring.

i tend to agree

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:54 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

Haha haha
Glad to see I could amuse the simple folk. Hopefully it informed the less simple. If you think there is no benefit to the BBM manifold, unbolt it and put on a log manifold. Then witness your lack of low down torque. Those that have said it'd be better off with forced induction are closest to the mark. As I said, good if you want a large volume of air instantly available. But by all means, put it on your car, for the price and lack of real scientific engineering should be a great addition to total power reduction.

Enjoy

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:32 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

The ebay seller has a business called "2 high PSI" in moorabbin. I spoke with him recently regarding some other parts. He does alot of turbo conversions apparently. If you are genuinely interested in this part it would be best to speak to him directly.

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB Falcon

NSW, Australia

doofus wrote:
Custom plenums over std intake manifolds do make a difference when it comes to forced induction. Its the actual design that makes a difference..
Go have a look at those crazy VL turbos :)

aww thats wat i was gonna says lol

God made Holdens to keep d**k Heads out of FORDS

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

MaTTeB wrote:
Haha haha
Glad to see I could amuse the simple folk. Hopefully it informed the less simple. If you think there is no benefit to the BBM manifold, unbolt it and put on a log manifold. Then witness your lack of low down torque. Those that have said it'd be better off with forced induction are closest to the mark. As I said, good if you want a large volume of air instantly available. But by all means, put it on your car, for the price and lack of real scientific engineering should be a great addition to total power reduction.

Enjoy

if you read the post he stated the turbo cars dont gain anything from the bbm. Wich is why ford don't fitted the mechanism to the factory turbo engines.

you didn't amuse us because we are simple. you amused us because, by what you posted, you are the simple one. and anyone who ever takes your post for gospal is now infact less informed then they were the 30 seconds befor hand.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next